Few Tricks To Get You Running Faster.

Norseman
Posted
Posted

Ok so I will post all the tips I have posted in one thread to assist all. Thus you can go to just one thread vice several.Computer starts and runs slowOk so you wait for a while for the darn computer to start here are the tips to make it start faster1. Does your desk top look like a disaster with 100's of files on it. Clean that up. Put them in folders and remove the actual file from the desktop. Reason is everything is cached if it is on your desktop for faster access. So put them in folders.2. Do a little maintenance on the PC go and defragment that hard drive.3. Scan for viruses and malware (next tip)4. What programs do you have running at PC start up. (do you really need yahoo messenger to run at start up). One it slows your startup and two it uses computer resources. Use CCleaner under tools and click start up and see what is happening. Most of that stuff you see you do not need. Actually if you disable everything in CCleanerstart up your computer will still run fine. Though not recommended. But view what is going on when the computer starts.5. Do you have a picture of your beloved on background. The higher the resolution the picture the more it takes to start the computer. Use a lower resolution picture. 6. Use CCleaner and clean out some of that cached items. All those item are being reloaded and slowing you down. 7. Run this if you have your Windows XP disk. SF /scannow. You will go to start run and type that in there. This will repair all you DLL files and restore them. Some programs over right your DLL's with older ones. Browser optionsOk there are alot of browsers out there. Which do you choose:Opera--- The fastest unverisal browser on the market. It loads pages faster and surfs much faster then any other browser.Firefox --- Best for overall adaptability. Go to the plug in sight and take a look it is more then a browser. Explore-- The most popular browser. That means security issues attack the most popular. However as fast as firefox.Chrome-- New guy on the block sleak and browses fast. Netscape-- Does anybody use this browser?Again cleaning that cache out will help your load times when using a browser. So do not set that History forever. Firefox users here are some recommended add-ons you should haveAd Block Plus- Who likes seeing all those ads everytime they go to a sight well this removes them. Thus you get just what you want.Track me not- Ever gone to Google and the last thing you searched for now has some targeted advertising as the first result? Well use a add on called track me not. Problem solved.Tiny menu- You ever wanted a bigger viewing screen. Well get rid of all those tool bars first. Edit view tool bars and unclick them. Then you you get this add on. tiny menu. Bigger screen for viewing. Virus ProtectionThere are several good free programs out there.AVG is a good virus scanner.Con Is the free version does not have a safe boot to remove a virus. Thus it can remain. Clashes with olderversions of Firefox and will crash it.Pro Best for on guard protectionAvastCon overall on guard protection is not very goodPro will re boot in safe mode upon virus detection and remove the virusAvairCon Overall a very good programPro Has a linux bootable or USB bootable version also will start in safe mode after virus detectionDo not forget your spyware and malware.Personally I use malwarebytes. I like the how it scans registry and removes entries. It also is very good at finding Malware.Super spyware is another good program however does not scan for registry entries.Another great program though limited to certain types of malware is combofix.The biggest thing is to use a variety of them at different times and points. Not all of them are 100%. Personally I like Avair bootable to scan the computer and Avg for on guard protection. Then in combination with that I use Malwarebytes to scan for spy and malware. Then occasionally I will use combo fix.If you do find viruses you will get a winsock problem because viruses corrupt your svhost files. So I recommend you use a program called winsockxpfix. Additionally a good registry cleaner like Ccleaner that will then clean up the registry after virus removal.Everything I mentioned here is freeware. Again here is the list in the order to run:1 Malwarebytes2 Anti-Virus program ( if a virus or Malware is found proceed to step 3)3 Winsockxpfix4 CCleaner (run registry cleaner)Internet Cafe SecurityI will attempt to post a few things that will help:** Always have a USB to run your programs***1. Ensure the computer booted from a fresh start. Meaning the computer was off prior to getting on the computer2. Ensure they use a program like Deepfreeze that restores the computer to a state before you go on to it (blue bear in lower right corner or a red R)Please note I can undeepfreeze the computer and install a keylogger. I have a program that cracks it. Thus I can install a keylogger. So it is not total security you may want but a start.3. Make sure there are no USB devices plugged into the computer.4. If doing online banking or password protected items use either a java based keyboard. Or use portable Robo-Form that fills them.http://wareseeker.co...-1.0.zip/317500. That is a link to java keyboard.5. When complete make sure you empty all the private data from the cache of the browser you are using. Better yet run Ccleaner portable.http://www.softpedia...-Portable.shtml6. When you are done ensure you turn the computer off.If you are real paranoid here are some more tips:1. You can run a quick program like this to detect keyloggers and remove prior to your use.http://dewasoft.com/...ldetector13.zip2. You can run a more indepth search with Malware bytes.http://portableturk....ex.php?newsid=5Just remember that even with all the security at the computer level a owner or administrator at the cafe can intercept the traffic over the Lan and record it. However this is very rare as the owners and administrators really would not do it. So no matter how secure you think you are it still can be done without your knowledge.

• Like 4

piglett
Posted
Posted

hey thanks for the 411i had about 50 or more shortcuts on my desktopi now have 15 & the rest are in a foldermy old laptop is now running better :9436: :lol: thankspiglett

• Like 1