From 5Th Worst, Naia-1 Now World’S Worst Airport

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Being known the worst in the world is a very sad state of affairs. I know I hate the metal benches and find them very uncomfortable. The Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 has fallen into disrepute and is now ranked the world’s worst airport due to poor facilities, bribery and security concerns, according to an interactive website.The Guide to Sleeping in Airports (http://www.sleepinginairports.net) said NAIA Terminal 1, which was ranked the 5th worst airport in the world and the worst in Asia last year, is in bad shape compared to the much newer NAIA Terminal 3. It noted that a portion of the ceiling of the NAIA Terminal 1 caved in last May.“Bribery and theft exists. Airport taxes are collected, but the money does not seem to go towards the betterment of the airport. Document holders have been told their papers are not correct, but a fee of x amount should clear up the matter,” the website noted. The complete story HERE

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's been many years we have been to NAIA 1 the thing I remember most are the Taxi drivers the worst ever a bunch of pirates.

piglett
Posted
Posted

he he he a little payment & it will all be finevery nice of them to offer this kind of service : ( pig

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Hey, that's the airport that scammed me on my wife's passport, too. Pricks. I was livid.

piglett
Posted
Posted
It's been many years we have been to NAIA 1 the thing I remember most are the Taxi drivers the worst ever a bunch of pirates.
isn't that the truth...... last time i was there my hotel was only 8km away & it was about midnight so no cars on the road to slow us down really. we headed to the parking lot away from the terminal & my brother inlaw found us a cab. the gangster wants p800 to take us 8kmthen when we arrived he asked for a tip ....WTF???i hand the bandit p20 & he wants more pig

piglett
Posted
Posted
Hey, that's the airport that scammed me on my wife's passport, too. Pricks. I was livid.
do you care to tell us what happened ?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Don't Complain about NAIA until you have been to the international airport in L'viv Ukraine. Small out side waiting area, the restroom is across the parking lot (outside) It smells like one of those outside pissers along the road in Manila. No toilet seats in men or womens and naturally no TP. going through security all are frisked by OLGA who looked to be on the Soviet wieght lifting team. She had a better mustache then i could ever grow. Once through security, (after they rifle through each bag and say "contraband" every one sits in a single waiting area, no fans or AC. no CR and only a few chairs. Made NAIA seem like a dream

• Like 3

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I know that it is the worst that I have ever seen. Compared to US, Mexico, Jamaica, and Europe. The workers that I have encountered there have asked for bribe money, totally ignoring questions that I have asked. On my most recent exit I had to go back and forth in the immigration line because THEY did not understand that my ARC card also served as my departure clearance. Even then they still made me pay an extra 1200 peso for being in the country longer than 6 months. I knew that I have to pay the fee but nobody seemed to be able to tell me how much it was and when I asked for a receipt then I was told I had to go to a different line. The last time I went through they took a bottle of wine I had forgot to put in my check in bags but told me if I paid them 1500 peso they would let me take it on board the plane with me. It could have just as well been a liquid explosive. My problems have always been when flying out. Every time I have arrived I have always had somebody there to pick me up so that has make arrivals easier. The wait in lines and also the waiting area for flights is the worst I have ever seen.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
do you care to tell us what happened ?
It was back in 2007 so i can't remember the exact details, but I'll try. It had something to do with the airport tax on Filipinos. At the time, if a filipino had lived abroad for a certain amount of time, they were exempt. I had triple-checked it before our trip. They were saying that my wife had to pay it though. I pointed out to them how her passport clearly showed how long she'd lived in Korea, and how short she'd been back in the Philippines, but they weren't budging. They were just stone-faced, so I paid it, but had a lot of obscenities for them while I did. I knew it was dangerous to cuss at people in airports, so I tried to do it in a subtle, non-direct way, but still getting the gist across. The pain about it was I had to go hunt down an ATM machine to pay the fee, since my money was already mostly changed and ready for Taiwan. I remember being pissed off about corruption at that moment, mentioning it to them (to no avail) since I had quickly become accustomed to the art of the bribe in the Philippines in the preceeding couple months.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

NAIA is a big improvement from 12 yrs ago, but then again my wife and I only leave the Philippines once every 3 years just to go on vacation to the U.S. or elsewhere for a few months and then back again to the Philippines for another 3 yrs or longer once I get my dual citizenship, my wife already has her's! I also know of a Filipina U.S. Citizen on a 13G permanent visa like your 13a type visas for other foreigners, she and her husband leaves the country often and whenever they purchase their plane tickets, they always had to pay for their travel tax separately from the price of their airfare, but I don't know how they compute the amount of the travel tax percent wise or if it's a penalty for leaving the country on a 13G visa, I don't really know for sure, but I'll ask her again why for!