Internet Access

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
I'm visiting soon with an eye on scouting a place to move to. One requirement I have had in the states for anytime I've moved for the last 16 years was high speed net access available.basically : "Hi, my name is Matt and I am addicted to Everquest and Eve-online.I was wondering how the net connection is in most of the more populated areas (city, not rural of course). I know I'm not going to get the fibre connection I'm used to but DSL will work fine. Are the connections reliable ? Do they cost the proverbial arm and leg ? Thank you all for a very informative place. In reading I'm having questions answered that I didn't even know I had !
On Leyte, I use a Globe dongle. I suppose the speed depends on how close you are to the cell phone tower. For us, the average seems to run around 140kbps. That is the download speed the computer reports when I am downloading a file. In other words, about 500 mb per hour. I can't see the actual deal on the Globe website but my girlfriend says we can have unlimited downloads all day for P50 or unlimited downloads for 5 days for P220. This is prepaid. The deal that I could see was 5 hours for P50 and use it within 3 days. Maybe that is what we are really doing. Thinking we have unlimited all day because we are not using it for 5 hours. She loads it through her phone. Regards: Jim

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. . . .my girlfriend says we can have unlimited downloads all day for P50 or unlimited downloads for 5 days for P220. This is prepaid.
She's right. To get that deal you text SUPERSURF50 to 8888 from your Globe Tattoo and they send a text message giving you 24 hours access. Its what I am using right now and it is acceptable for general use. It is subject to a 'fair use' policy and the slow you to a crawl if you download any big files or if there are a lot of people on at the moment.