3. 3. Do you sometimes have trouble communicating with your partner

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
    • Use sign language

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Just curiousHow many of us actually learned to speak a language of the Philippines? I know that I tried for awhile but gave up. I was only wanting to be able to say some basic stuff but dont have the dedication to learn.
Something else to consider, Tom, is that it is easier to learn if you are here full time, rather than in an English speaking country full time. So, even if you are dedicated and focus on learning it daily, it will be harder to learn unless your family speaks it all the time in your home.
I would say you are absolutely correct Paul,it would be easier to be surrounded by the language and to be able to practice on someone who understands what you are trying to say.Now if only I can adopt a Filipino family here to get me motivated again :th_imstupid:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

There is an old saying....What do you call an individual who speaks 3 languages? (trilingual)What do you call an individual who speaks 2 languages? (bilingual)What do you call an individual who speaks 1 language? An AMERICAN.Speaking as an ignorant Kano who is too old and unmotivated to try and learn any other language than the usual sex talk and insults, I have found that the Pinoy's general good nature and effort to please helps in communication. If I have something to say, they make an effort to figure me out rather than the reverse. While some forum members who understand far more of the local language than they let on to, and spend a lot of time listening to people around them and waiting to over hear kidnaping talk........ I am blissfully ignorant. As a Kano, I have a dual reputation to live down to. Once they figure out that I am not a drunk sex tourist, I must be that rich Kano they heard about (not). I am only in the Philippines for at best, 21 days at a time. In that little bit of time, I can get done what I need to speaking 1 language. Sorry if it is not politically correct as a traveler in a foreign country to refuse to try and speak the local lingo, but after all, I am a Kano...... what did you expect, me to ack like the French? (insert personal hygiene joke here) :th_imstupid: