British Embassy Pledges Help In Snaring Griffiths

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Of course she has to be guilty because she sold her car and she's rather too outspoken and not a shy, meek Filipina as many are. And let's not forget the possibility of dodgy finances. I'm surprised you've omitted to mention that she is a former bar girl and sex toys were found in her home. Let's all pack-up and go home because Lee has solved the case! And you accuse me of presuming a lot! I know you are hoping against hope that the PNP hasn't botched this investigation for the second time and that Griffiths and Santos are guilty of the crimes. Be prepared to be bitterly disappointed. Mark
I do not believe my post said anything of the sort, and I for one hope they are found innocent because any foreigner guilty of such a heinous crime reflects bad on all of us. All I am saying is you presume a lot and what you presume does not seem to be what happened or happens. Your statement about the vehicle being cleared is dead wrong if all we have been told about the wrong plate number is correct and why the warrant for the vehicle was dismissed. Mark you have made a lot of statements in the past about how badly she will be treated in jail, how she will not be tried until Griffith is brought over and that will never happen, how she cannot get bail and would rot in jail for years before any trial, and it seems if what you have been saying about weak evidence is true, and if she had not run, then maybe she might have been given bail. So for us to presume things and make false statements does not seem to be fair to the justice system and the Philippines because we are finding the whole system guilty and incompetent before it even plays out. Are we to judge the Philippines based on out own countries? and if our own countries are so wonderful, then why are many of us in the Philippines? I want to see the evidence or lack thereof, and then maybe (and I say maybe because things they did seem to look bad for them and might get them convicted even if not guilty) we will then hopefully have a much better idea of the truth. Mark, could you find out what her reason for selling the vehicle so quickly was? Could you tell us why they picked to leave the country that day? Could you tell us how she afforded the vehicle, the house and all those huge gold items, and where she got her income? Those items might give us some insight into all this. Oh to add to the above, even if they are found innocent will not mean they are innocent, just as if they are found guilty will not mean they are guilty.
  • Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
Oh to add to the above, even if they are found innocent will not mean they are innocent, just as if they are found guilty will not mean they are guilty.
Sounds like the old saying "Where there is Smoke, there is Fire". Once a person is accused of something there will always be those who feel the person is guilty. Many were ready to hang the two that were first arrested and accused of the crime. Sorry but this whole affair is coming off like an arm chair quarter back or back seat driver sort of thing. We all know how mass media prints up its stories and we all know about how important the concept of "Face" is in Philippines.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Oh to add to the above, even if they are found innocent will not mean they are innocent, just as if they are found guilty will not mean they are guilty.
Sounds like the old saying "Where there is Smoke, there is Fire". Once a person is accused of something there will always be those who feel the person is guilty. Many were ready to hang the two that were first arrested and accused of the crime. Sorry but this whole affair is coming off like an arm chair quarter back or back seat driver sort of thing. We all know how mass media prints up its stories and we all know about how important the concept of "Face" is in Philippines.
Agree, and there is no such thing as being found innocent, they could be found not guilty but that certainly doesn't equate to innocent, eg, OJ. I haven't seen a scintilla of real evidence that these 2 people had anything to do with it.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Agree, and there is no such thing as being found innocent, they could be found not guilty but that certainly doesn't equate to innocent, eg, OJ. I haven't seen a scintilla of real evidence that these 2 people had anything to do with it.
Well lets hope that is all the evidence they have, yet it would not be unusual for them to hold back until just before the trial. Now in the same thought trend, I have not seen one lick of evidence that says they did not do it either. I am waiting to see the prosecutor play their hand and hope the trial will be over quickly and if not guilty will be found as such.

Markham
Posted
Posted
Mark you have made a lot of statements in the past about how badly she will be treated in jail, how she will not be tried until Griffith is brought over and that will never happen, how she cannot get bail and would rot in jail for years before any trial, and it seems if what you have been saying about weak evidence is true, and if she had not run, then maybe she might have been given bail. So for us to presume things and make false statements does not seem to be fair to the justice system and the Philippines because we are finding the whole system guilty and incompetent before it even plays out. Are we to judge the Philippines based on out own countries? and if our own countries are so wonderful, then why are many of us in the Philippines?
When I mentioned her possible bad treatment, I was referring to the Detention Centre which is far from Naga and whose warden had publicly ridiculed her. With regards to Bail, you might want to read today's Cebu Daily News. which contains alleged threats against her life and note that these allegations are being made by the Prosecution and not the Defence. I suspect that the Prosecutors will attempt to use these allegations to support their denial of bail motion "for her own protection". It may also give them cause to press further to have Santos transferred to the Detention Centre.
Mark, could you find out what her reason for selling the vehicle so quickly was? Could you tell us why they picked to leave the country that day? Could you tell us how she afforded the vehicle, the house and all those huge gold items, and where she got her income? Those items might give us some insight into all this.
Lee you should realise that even if I were privy to such information, I could not reveal it publicly ahead of a trial. Mark

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)
"With regards to Bail, you might want to read today's Cebu Daily News. which contains alleged threats against her life and note that these allegations are being made by the Prosecution and not the Defence. I suspect that the Prosecutors will attempt to use these allegations to support their denial of bail motion "for her own protection". It may also give them cause to press further to have Santos transferred to the Detention Centre".
While I guess you could be right. I wonder if the fact that she sold everything she owned, fled, changed her appearance, used a false name, and told reporters that she wanted to make things difficult for the police/prosecutors might have a little bit to do with why she will not be granted bail. Just a little bit! Edited by Mr. Lee
install quote box
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Mark, could you find out what her reason for selling the vehicle so quickly was? Could you tell us why they picked to leave the country that day? Could you tell us how she afforded the vehicle, the house and all those huge gold items, and where she got her income? Those items might give us some insight into all this.
Lee you should realise that even if I were privy to such information, I could not reveal it publicly ahead of a trial. Mark
It could be said if it was public knowledge based on news stories etc, so maybe you read something that I have not read. I hope she/they can explain it all when the time comes.

Markham
Posted
Posted
Mike, Yes, you are right. But if it were you on trial or being accused and you could produce evidence that you were innocent then would you not want your attorney to obtain and present that evidence? It just very well could get the charges dismissed and no need for a trial. If the evidence was strong enough just as was the case of the video that cleared the first couple that was arrested. While the defense does not have to prove anything, they certainly do want to produce evidence of innocence if and when they can obtain it. While I agree that there certainly does seem to be a lack of evidence to convict in this case. If it were me, I would want my lawyer to throw everything he or she can in such a way as to make sure that there was no way that I could be found guilty. If I was in fact not involved in a crime that I was suspected of, I would not just sit back and wait for a judge or jury to determine that the prosecution does not have enough evidence. I would seek out to clear my name and prove my innocence as soon as possible. A good defense lawyer will always try to find as much evidence of innocence as possible. A lazy one will just sit back and tell you not to worry because there is not enough evidence to convict. While the defense does not have to present any evidence, it sure makes it a lot easier when they can and do. If I was Griffiths I sure know what I would want my lawyer to do. The burden of proof is and should always be on the prosecution but there have been more than one innocent person convicted because their attorney did not do a good job.
Just because the Defence Attorneys haven't said much regarding their case - unlike the Prosecution who are trumpeting everything - don't assume that they aren't readying their evidence. Were I a defendant I would not want my lawyers to signal their intentions to the Prosecutors. Mark

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Maybe this is where the prosecution got info that someone wanted to kill Santos.

He said someone approached him three times asking permission to kill her.
Father offers food, prayers for Ellah 11/2/2011

Markham
Posted
Posted

I may be wrong but I think NBI-7 has separate intelligence over and above Pique's revelations regarding threats to Santos' life. This might not bode well for the future if/when Santos is acquitted or the case simply collapses. Mark