What Items Are So Different In The Phl Vs What We Thought B4?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

After reading a few posts this past week, I felt it might be nice to touch on some of the differences a new person to the Philippines person might not know about. For me a few of the things I read makes me wonder if people know how different the transportation system in some areas are. I know that my wife and I have been to towns such as San Pablo Laguna near Manila and the west side of Cebu island, as well as many places in Mindanao and in San Pablo and the west side of Cebu there were no taxis, only jeepneys that sat and waited to be full, or small side car motorcycles that I could not fit in, so we had to stand around in an area where I never got to see even one more westerner and have everyone oogle me for what seemed like an hour because a town as large as that did not have taxis. In many areas outside the cities all we could find was motorcycles as transportation. So I wonder if anyone know if Naga City, or Danao Cebu that OBA asked about have taxis? I know I did not see any except those passing through when my wife and I had been passing through numerous times during our 17 plus years of marriage and often have to have the taxi we take to places wait for us when we venture outside the city to visit friends or go to parties. We also have taken Vhires when traveling long distances outside some cities where we know a Vhire will be available to take us back. Next comes language. I wonder how many people know that there are many people who do not speak hardly any English or even Filipino/Tagalog once outside the major cities in the Visayas? I know I did not know that when I first visited and while a lot of people used to say yes to me when I talked to them, it was only years later that I found out that they did not understand a word I said but answered yes anyway. To this day people do that and then when I outright ask them if they understood in their own language, they then will usually fess up. Next comes the issue of hotels, are there hotels in every city or the outskirts of places? I really do not know, that is why I am asking. I know my wife and I have been to a number of places that we could not find a hotel and up until recently there were no hotels near my wife's family on the west side of Cebu island. I also know that there are no hotels for at least an hour and a half away from my wife's family in Bukidnon, and there were none at all years ago even that close. Any other thoughts that might help new people to see the differences from where they are coming from, or what they might be thinking?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The Filipinas?Married over 12 years and every day is an adventure!

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Modes of transportation really never bothered me, since I’m of an average Filipino size of 5’6” tall. Air conditioned buses back in those days were only a few per bus terminals and the provincial buses were mostly open air types which anyone can enter from either side of the bus and packed like sardines. Used vehicles back in those days were affordable and gas was only 13 cents per gallon! I used to drive all around Manila, because back in those days there wasn't a lot of traffic! I had a 1958 Mercury convertible for $900, it was a huge car like a tank! Never knew how I got around those tight turns and back alley ways in Manila! What really bothered me was the availability of clean rest rooms back in the late 60s, they were few and far in between pit stops, where most times the bus would just stop along the side of the road for people to relieve themselves behind the nearest bush or tree! Cell phones were unheard of back then too, where only the well to do people had them and they were large the size of a brick, remember those! In the late 60s the rate was only P4.80 to the dollar and food was cheap and seafood was plentiful! I used to always order shrimp cocktails by the dozen as an appetizer and have lobster and oysters or a prime rib dinner with soup or salad or cheese fondue as a main dish with a few ice cold bottles of San Miguel. Those are days long gone, try that nowadays and see how much it will cost you per person! As for the language barrier, I didn’t see that as a problem because in Luzon the basic Tagalog dialect was spoken with a bit of English. Accommodations wasn’t a problem either in any part of Luzon, most of the time I had relatives to stay with even though it was roughing it a bit where they had no electricity or running water and no toilet paper! That’s about all I can think that was different back in the 60s compared today! Today, we live like a westerner with all of the creature comforts!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Thanks for reminding me Art, no toilet papers is a big one I forgot about, most places do not have toilet paper, so one should carry their own, yet some of the malls have machines to buy small packs of paper if you have coins, and most of the restaurants have paper in their CR's (Comfort Rooms), if they have not run out, so maybe best to have some with you at all times, that is what I do and I have been thankful quite a few times that I had it. The first time for me that I found out the hard way was in a business in Manila when my then gf and I visited a friend of hers who was working there while we were in town to get her papers processed. Well nature called and then I had to ask my gf in front of her friend, where is the toilet paper, and luckily I knew about the bucket to flush the toilet because many toilets do not have running water in them, so the old bucket is used to flush them. Also lets not forget that there is rarely toilet seats except in hotels. :cheersty:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Toliet Seats are a good one. Our home is used by my nieces as a "study pad" while we are between visits, or anyother visitors. On our last trip the Toliet seat was missing, and it didn't seem like a big deal to my in laws or all those that came to greet us, (and to get the balikbayan gifts naturally). Next morning I strolled to our local hardware store, bought a seat and installed it with in an hour. LOLOLOL, guess some priorities are just different.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Although I have never visited Cebu, I would think that OBA should not have any problems finding accommodations ortransportation at his destinations (Naga City and Danao). It shouldn't be too hard to find a driver who can be hiredfor an extended period of time. Judy and I hired a taxi for the whole day canvassing remote areas of Batangas provincein search of real estate properties. I think we paid around 1,500 pesos plus gas and his food. Probably the going ratenow is at least 2,500 a day. But it can be really convenient to show up at your door each morning and say "where to Boss"?Additionally, he will probably know most of the hotels, beach resorts and pension houses. As far as the issue with toilet paper......what's wrong with you guys? Go native and try the "tabo-tabo" method. It maytake a couple times to master but you would feel "presh na presh" after a good finger wave. At least it took care of my"roids" -- they disappeared after a few weeks......he, he. No 'roids Jake

Edited by JAKE
spell and finger check
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

i am never shaking your hand again Jake!

• Like 4

Garpo
Posted
Posted

One of the things that I still am not getting used too is the bathroom or CR floor always being wet. Filipino's seem to love to throw water around in the bathroom. Shower curtains seem to make no difference and might as well not even be there.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
i am never shaking your hand again Jake!
Or borrow his tennis racket! :mocking:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Transportation: I used to think it was crowded on a Greyhound bus or on an airplane seated next to a fat person. That was before I moved to the Philippines and traveled across the province on a VHire where they insist on shoving in15 passengers and a driver, regardless of how big the people are or how much luggage they are bringing. Holy sh . .. oot that is an experience. One that, unfortunately, gets repeated on occasion.