Cebu Clergy Favor Having A Transport Master Plan

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Before I link to the newspaper article let me say why it struck me as odd. I know the clergy have extreme influence in Philippine daily affairs. But isn't it a bit too much micromanaging when people go to their religious advisers to ask if the city should build a new overpass on the road? Maybe the clergy think they are omniscient? Were I a clergy member I would have responded that God will take care of his business and that business is best left to Caesar . . or today's current secular governing body. Cebu clergy want a plan before more flyovers – Palma Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma yesterday said most of the Cebu clergy favor having a transport master plan in place before building more flyovers “There should first be an overall plan for the city before more flyovers are made,” Palma told reporters after his mass in the mausoleum of Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral. “We are not completely against flyovers. Perhaps in certain cases, they can be solutions,” Palma said. The flyover controversy was discussed by different batches of diocesan priests during their retreat with Palma last month. Palma, who earlier urged the clergy to take a stand for the good of Cebu, said that most of the priests objected to the rise of flyovers before a master plan. “Basically their idea is first of all, the present flyover should be stopped. It should be part of an over-all master plan,” Palma said. Palma said he sees the construction of two flyovers as being “immediately imagined” without a master plan. “Our priests share the same stand,” Palma said. more

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what exactly is a fly over and why are Catholic priests even involved in the city infrastructure?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what exactly is a fly over and why are Catholic priests even involved in the city infrastructure?
A flyover is an over pass.The Catholic priests are involved because the money could have been better used donated to the church,I guess :) :)

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Believe it or not, the flyover "controversy" is front page news and hotly debated on the editorial pages. The debate seems to be between building more flyovers vs widening the roads. The church is involved because it's opinion carries tremendous weight.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

isnt a fly over an elevated freeway? what we call a flyover in paranaque and metro manila is like that, so they dont destroy the barangays to much.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Could it be that the "church" holds large tract of land where the proposed flyover is being considered? Jake

• Like 1