So Many Scams Out There

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This was on the news here tonight,the device is just a bit of plastic rubbish made to look like an electronic device.

Householders are being urged to beware of aggressive fake telemarketers who threaten to disconnect their power unless they buy an energy saving device.

NSW Fair Trading Minister Anthony Roberts says offshore telemarketers are contacting people, claiming to be from a government authority known as the Australian Electricity Commission.

The scam has so far duped $1.7 million from Australians, and uses Skype to get their attention.

Mr Roberts said people had received repeated aggressive phone calls threatening to disconnect their power in 72 hours or fines of $1000 if they refused to accept the energy-saving device, which they claim can reduce energy costs by up to 40 per cent.

People are also told they were selected to have the energy device installed in their home and would be reimbursed the $219 purchase price within three months.

The NSW and Victorian departments of fair trading and Australia Post are trying to dismantle the scam, which originated in Melbourne.

During the past 18 months, 8000 of the devices have been distributed.http://au.news.yahoo...n-to-cut-power/

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This was on the news here tonight,the device is just a bit of plastic rubbish made to look like an electronic device.

Householders are being urged to beware of aggressive fake telemarketers who threaten to disconnect their power unless they buy an energy saving device.

NSW Fair Trading Minister Anthony Roberts says offshore telemarketers are contacting people, claiming to be from a government authority known as the Australian Electricity Commission.

The scam has so far duped $1.7 million from Australians, and uses Skype to get their attention.

Mr Roberts said people had received repeated aggressive phone calls threatening to disconnect their power in 72 hours or fines of $1000 if they refused to accept the energy-saving device, which they claim can reduce energy costs by up to 40 per cent.

People are also told they were selected to have the energy device installed in their home and would be reimbursed the $219 purchase price within three months.

The NSW and Victorian departments of fair trading and Australia Post are trying to dismantle the scam, which originated in Melbourne.

During the past 18 months, 8000 of the devices have been distributed. http://au.news.yahoo...n-to-cut-power/

So how many did you buy. :89: :hystery:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

During the past 18 months, 8000 of the devices have been distributed. http://au.news.yahoo...n-to-cut-power/

So how many did you buy. :hystery: :hystery:
NoneBut I did see not long back you posted about some electricity saving device,not sure if the same but its buyer be aware. :89:

• 4 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Here is the latest Scam here in the RP.A man claiming to be the Minister of Interior in Oman called a local money exchange firm requesting the phone number of the owner. Minutes later, the phone rang again and the caller introduced himself as the secretary of the firm’s owner and reprimanded the clerk for being impolite to the Minister of Interior of Oman.The caller directed the clerk to transfer 1,930 Omani rial or about P217,000 to two beneficiaries in Jordan, to which the clerk immediately obliged. The AMLC added that the caller remained on the line while the clerk was doing the transfer and reprimanded her for being very slow and asking her who trained her.After the transaction was completed, the clerk gave the transfer code number to the caller. The clerk then reported the incident to her manager, but was too late to stop the transaction as the amount transferred was already received and withdrawn in Jordan.http://www.philstar.com/nation/article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=65&articleId=791660Of what i have heard before,altho i cant verify it, that the "clerk" will be help responsible for the "lost" funds.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

All I can say is this about that ...... I would need a NEW secretary ...... as the old one was found strangled with her own telephone cord ...... :) :) ...... gee I wonder how much I could get using my Johnny Cash voice ...... or maybe Truman Capote ...... or better yet Tiny Tim ....... gotta be worth a few hundred pesos ...... "I hear that whistle a-blowing .... coming round the bend" ..... :angry:

• Like 1