'occupy' Movement Could Spread To The Philippines, Senator Warns

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

But could it really? Most Filipinos do not seem to be the type to go against their govt, at least not without the churches blessing. An "Indignants" campaign has been launched in Spain along similar lines."We are just as vulnerable to the same unrest and instability," the senator said, referring to the movement which has reportedly been replicated in 82 other countries. "These recent events should serve as a wakeup call for us in government to start implementing more concrete solutions to end poverty and address growing income inequality," the senator said. Link

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most of these movements begin on the social network sites like facebook, twitter, myspace, etc. etc. etc. Facebook is very popular in the Philippines and I have already seen some of the branch off blogs and sites and they sure look to me like they are heading in the same direction. I honestly do not see any way to stop it. Some countries have tried to ban the sites and even limit internet access but it has not worked. The ones that I have seen tend to be more directed at Government corruption than any other issue. When you look at the other countries where movements have been the most effective, they all have seen a dramatic elimination of any middle class. When there are only the poor and the rich then trouble is on its way in my opinion. With the use of these internet social media sites, the governments have no way to to stop the communication of the people that are getting involved in these type of movements. How big or how effective they will be in the Philippines? Only time will tell but the movements have already started..

Edited by Garpo
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
Most of these movements begin on the social networks sites like facebook, twitter, myspace, etc. etc. etc. Facebook is very popular in the Philippines and I have already seen some of the branch off blogs and sites and they sure look to me like they are heading in the same direction. I honestly do not see any way to stop it. Some countries have tried to ban the sites and even limit internet access but it has not worked. The ones that I have seen tend to me more directed at Government corruption than any other issue. When you look at the other countries where movements have been the most effective, they all have seen a dramatic elimination of any middle class. When there are only the poor and the rich then trouble is on its way in my opinion. With the use of these internet social media sites, the governments have no way to to stop the communication of the people that are getting involved in these type of movements. How big or how effective they will be in the Philippines? Only time will tell but the movements have already started..
Agree with ya buddy! As you may know, the term "People Power" was started in the Philippines. Nuns and young students would stop rolling army tanks during the downfall of Marcos. And yearslater, it was copied at Tiananman Square in China. Maybe I am sounding like a hopeless pessimist but I think we are on the verge of serious economiccrisis of global proportions. Just look at the European countries and their Euro dollar -- the financialstate of a country can be wiped out by greedy and corrupt banks and corporations simply by usingthe keyboard. Jake
  • Like 2

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Here is a pretty good news article awhile back that talks about the movement in the Philippines and some of the actions they have already taken. Article