Gated Community? How Much Typically?

bows00
Posted
Posted

I have read through several posts on how to live on $800 US per month, but how much would one need to live within a gated community? And I am aware of the obivious advantages - security being on top of the list, but I would appriciate some feedback on the negatives - especially one that was brought to my attention - are local filipinos comfortable living amoung expats in such a community?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I have read through several posts on how to live on $800 US per month, but how much would one need to live within a gated community? And I am aware of the obivious advantages - security being on top of the list, but I would appriciate some feedback on the negatives - especially one that was brought to my attention - are local filipinos comfortable living amoung expats in such a community?
What part of the Philippines are you seeking info on. The reason I ask is because prices will be all over the place depending on areas. Here are just two I found online to give you a rough ideaThe first, For Rent 3br WhiteTownhouse lahug cebu The second2 Bedroom 2-storey house For Rent, Mactan, Both are in gated communities but the first is in a high end area of Cebu City and the second is on Mactan Island where the airport is, so better deals can be found because of the location verses the city itself. Then if you were to go outside the city, there would no doubt be other for even less money. Location, location, location, but also what is for one might not be for others.Next here is one up on Luzon in Laguna probably near where member Ar2uro lives.FURNISHED HOUSE FOR RENT

IN

LAGUNA

BEL AIR 2 WITH PARKING AREA

Hopefully that will give you some idea of rents. And to answer your question, no, Filipinos usually will not mind one of us living nearby, as long as we realize it is their country to do as they wish in it, of course within reason. Give us more details and members will try to give you a better idea of prices.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information. This reply alone has made my membership worth while - somehow it is difficult to search for rentals - I only get the super high end condos when I do the search. All of these options are within my expected price range. I will have to go visit the areas on my next trip next january. Would a typical local filipina feel comfortable living in these gated communities?

• Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the information. This reply alone has made my membership worth while - somehow it is difficult to search for rentals - I only get the super high end condos when I do the search. All of these options are within my expected price range. I will have to go visit the areas on my next trip next january. Would a typical local filipina feel comfortable living in these gated communities?
Yes most ladies we have met will go wherever their man goes, again within reason. I am glad to be of some help and I am always willing to help more with a better idea of needs. Sulit is the one I searched to get those results, so all I did was type in gated community in Cebu and then rentals and houses for sale will come up, so if say you wanted to be in Cagayan de Oro then a search turned up this oneBeautiful house for rent in Xavier Estates Let me add that I have read of homes in gated communities in Cebu that rents for P120,000 a month Semi-furnished 5 Storey House and Lot for Rent, so once you have your feet on the ground and then find an area you wish to live in, then there are all types of gated communities to search for and hopefully some will be within your price range. Most online prices would be higher than you can find by yourself walking or driving around.
  • Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Wow, that house in Mindanao is really nice... that would be on the top of my budget. But still doable compared to price of housing here in Hawaii. I will search the rest of this website, but is it safe to live there? Being American, i would need to do more research before making a move there. I will visit the safety thread here... And thanks again for the info, Bows

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Consider this website too on the big island of Luzon! It's your typical western style gated Community here in the Philippines. It's where we've been living since 1998 and we truly love it here! Typical average rent is about P25,000 to P50,000 on a typical 3 bdrm, 2 bath home with a 2 car carport. It's centrally located near Manila, Tagaytay and Cavite, but there are lower rents outside of these areas but not as typical compared to your more modern upscale subdivisions. There's a mixed of a few retired foreigners living here from the U.S., Canada, UK, Korea, Japan and others I'm sure. http://www.google.co...iw=1399&bih=794

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
One of our members here, Markham, lived in a gated community in Consolacion, Cebu. I am not sure what he paid for rent but I know a number of others in that same subdivision who rent very nice, moderate size houses in the range of 12K pesos per month. I considered it myself but decided I prefer living outside a gated community. All of the guys I know who live there have budgets of US$1,500 and up. You could get by on a little less but I certainly doubt $800 a month is do-able in that scenario. All the guys have zero problems with their filipina wives or gfs as related to living in a gated community. Some have trouble with their filipino neighbors, not because of race but because they are neigbors. It is hard living so close to your neighbors and that is a big problem with subdivision living. The lots here are SMALL.

bows00
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the helpful input. After absorbing all the info, my next step will be to visit the various areas to see for myself. And I am not planning to live on $800/month, I know that is nearly impossible for my expectations. My income, which includes pension and rental income, will be around $XXXXUS (before taxes). In Hawaii, that just gets you above par, but I have decided to retire as early as possible to start my new ventures there. I just hope my entertainment habits will not eventually run me broke...

Edited by Mr. Lee
delete amount

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)
Thank you all for the helpful input. After absorbing all the info, my next step will be to visit the various areas to see for myself. And I am not planning to live on $800/month, I know that is nearly impossible for my expectations. My income, which includes pension and rental income, will be around $XXXXUS (before taxes). In Hawaii, that just gets you above par, but I have decided to retire as early as possible to start my new ventures there. I just hope my entertainment habits will not eventually run me broke...
Just a little warning. When in the Philippines its best to not let any one know how much you make. I always let people know i am very poor and it is a myth that foreigners are rich. Edited by Mr. Lee
delete amount
  • Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

bow00, Since you are a rich foreigner with a $XXXX a month source of income (before taxes), you can live very comfortable here in the Philippines!It's not just about how much typically to live on and where, but also how much are the medical cost of a typical catastrophic illness? Just be certain that you have good medical health insurance that will cover you and your family while in the Philippines and you have easy access to large sums of cash for those huge upfront cash payment to the hospital and their greedy doctors! A couple of high end limit credit cards with a $25,000 or more credit line may help, find out which cards are preferred in which Philippine hospitals, because most rural provincial hospitals do not accept credit cards, they only want cash!

Edited by Mr. Lee
delete amount