Does Philippines Have A Valid Claim To Spratleys?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Just doing some surfing to find out what kind of claim the Philippines has over the Spratleys that they are willing to provoke China on the issue. It seems there are a half dozen countries claiming the Islands but according to Reuters:

PHILIPPINES: In 1978, it issued a decree claiming the entire territory as part of the Philippines, redrawing the country's map. Manila is a signatory to UNCLOS and has passed a law asserting its claims on the Spratlys. It occupies several Spratly Islands, most significantly Thitu, which it renamed Pagasa (Hope).
How can the Philippines really expect China, or Viet Nam for that matter, to accept the Philippine claim that was unilaterally made only 34 years ago. The other countries have claims dating back centuries. According to this scholar's research:
The Philippines base their claims of sovereignty over the Spratlys on the issues of res nullius and geography. The Philippines contend Kalayaan was res nullius as there was no effective sovereignty over the islands until the nineteen thirties when France and then Japan acquired the islands. When Japan renounced their sovereignty over the islands in the Treaty of Peace in 1951, there was a relinquishment of the right to the islands without any special beneficiary. Therefore, argue the Philippines, the islands became res nullius and available for annexation.
Now I read that as: No one else was occupying the islands so Philippines jumped in and claimed squatters rights. I doubt that will hold water.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Just what the US needs. I sure hope there can be a peaceful way to resolve the issue.Noy to seek US reassurance of support in Spratlys conflict

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just what the US needs. I sure hope there can be a peaceful way to resolve the issue.
I second that! I just read on Yahoo news that Canada and the US are having a falling out over some huge pipeline deal so the Canadian Prime Minister, Harper, told Chinese President Hu Jintao that providing energy to Asia was an important priority for Canada. This sounds like Canada backing China instead of the US. What a tangled web we weave. And all because some Nebraskans don't want an oil pipeline in their back yard.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Nebraskans want the price of oil to be high because they are a majfor oil producer. Screw America it's all about them.