Can't Afford To Retire In The Us?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Where people decide to go is up to each individual, just seems the trend is growing. Solid data on the number of U.S. retirees is hard to find, but the trend seems on the rise. The Social Security Administration paid benefits to 509,000 overseas retirees in 2008, the most recent available data. That's a sharp uptick from the 396,000 who received benefits in 2000. Link

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Travis did in 2010! He's starting a new trend! Yes! Anyone now can afford to live in the U.S.! Hey! Just ask Travis! :th_hu:

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I'm just hoping and praying that this inept congress doesn't decide to shut off everyone's SS who is not residing in the US.

bows00
Posted
Posted

Exactly my concern... be prepared for a reduction in SS for overseas retirees.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I would not be suprised. For example, when i retire from the Army I am eligible for the post 9-11 GI Bill, pays about 3400 a month. I can use it in the RP but its only about 1400 a month..........bets a poke in the eye i guess

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have any basis ie, news articles, etc for this idea that SS will be terminated or limited in some way for overseas retirees?

• Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I think it would be very difficult for them to pull it off. Social Security is based on the jobs and money you earned while in the US as a US citizen. Money was withheld in the form of social security taxes on your income. Be pretty hard for them to now say you can not have it back.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike, I was thinking the same thing........................ a quick Google I was unable to find anything.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

AARP advises using five criteria when choosing a foreign city to retire to: the cost of living, housing costs, health care (both quality and accessibility), cultural and recreational options and if there’s already an expat community there. Philippines may score well in some category's but not so good in others depending on location.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

As part of the debt-reduction, Democrats maybe forced to accept major changes to Social Security and Medicare in exchange for the Republicans agreeing to new tax revenues. For Social Security, the effect on those who are retired or soon to retire is how inflation will be measured. Maybe the adjustment for inflation would be every five years instead of every year. For Medicare, it might be the co-payment formula computation. Medicare A is currently 20% - 80% co-pay. They might change it to 25% - 75%. The only good news is there are proponents in the US Congress who are advocating that Medicare become universal. They reason that you should not deny coverage for Americans who have fully paid into the system just because they reside overseas. The Super Committee was a Super Failure. Let's see what happens next.