Can't Afford To Retire In The Us?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I think it would be very difficult for them to pull it off. Social Security is based on the jobs and money you earned while in the US as a US citizen. Money was withheld in the form of social security taxes on your income. Be pretty hard for them to now say you can not have it back.
I guess they may consider basing it on the Australian SS system which do not pay a pension for those living in the Philippines.http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/international/pension_agreements.htm

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I do not know much about the SS in Australia. Does the SS or government withhold taxes out of your income that you earn from your employer?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I think it would be very difficult for them to pull it off. Social Security is based on the jobs and money you earned while in the US as a US citizen. Money was withheld in the form of social security taxes on your income. Be pretty hard for them to now say you can not have it back.
I guess they may consider basing it on the Australian SS system which do not pay a pension for those living in the Philippines.http://www.centrelin..._agreements.htm
Ouch! That just doesn't seem right or fair! If the U.S. government did that, there would truly be a revolt of some kind! If one pays into any Social Security system, one should be able to collect their benefits at the appropriate age and spend their money anyway and or anywhere they so desire without their government cutting it off for any reason! What's there to do to change the laws? I guess it depends on what type of government one lives in their home country! I don't know anything about Parliamentary types of government in how they rule over their people, but with a Communist or Dictatorship type of government, we can only imagine!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Guys, this would be a major change to SS. It would affect millions of US retirees living all over the world. It would disrupt families and cause visa applications to go through the roof. Anything is possible but there is no basis for this that I can find although I did see a couple of "I heard this and thats", par for the course on the internet. Unless anyone has proof otherwise or can substantiate it, it appears to be an unfounded rumor.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I do not know much about the SS in Australia. Does the SS or government withhold taxes out of your income that you earn from your employer?
yes,Australia is not much different that the US

Garpo
Posted
Posted
I don't see how the US government could go the same as Australia but I could be wrong. I do know that something has to be done with the US social security because it cant continue to pay the way it has been.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I don't see how the US government could go the same as Australia but I could be wrong. I do know that something has to be done with the US social security because it cant continue to pay the way it has been.
I hope that it is turning the other way, as it is mentioned that medicare may be available to us overseas, if all goes well. Like SS, we pay into the medicare system so it is unfair to not be able to collect it due to residing overseas. If this is the direction they are heading it would be highly unlikely that they do the opposite with SS.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I hope that it is turning the other way, as it is mentioned that medicare may be available to us overseas, if all goes well. Like SS, we pay into the medicare system so it is unfair to not be able to collect it due to residing overseas. If this is the direction they are heading it would be highly unlikely that they do the opposite with SS.
Guam U.S.A has Medicare benefits of what type I don't know for sure: http://www.medicare.org/home-mainmenu-1/travel-mainmenu-32/100-guam/199-guam-medicare.html and not too far from the Philippines! I read some where, eventually U.S. Medicare health care offices will spring up in Manila in the near future!
  • Like 1