Philippines Balikbayan Pilferage Problem

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I was kinda worried when we all found out the BIR would start inspecting the Balikbayan boxes. Petty theft is just too easy money.So the first of our Christmas Balikbayan boxes arrived yesterday with one smaller box in it empty.Over the past thirteen years this is the first time anything has been stolen from one of our Balikbayan boxes.Still attempting to figure out what was taken. From now on we will email a detailed inventory of what is sent. Anyone else has a problem yet?

Candyman
Posted
Posted

That is bad ! And just plain wrong ! We too, have been sending boxes for over thirteen years, and so far, touch wood, nothing has disappeared. We sent another box about three weeks ago for the families Christmas, but as far as I know, it has not arrived yet.That is very disappointing for you, and I hope your losses are not too severe.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

We have had 4 large LBC boxes arrive in Mindanao untouched. 1 arrived in Manila untouched as well.Still have 5 more large boxes in transit along with 2 small Junior boxes.

• Like 1

Steve
Posted
Posted

we shipped 2 a month or so ago. scheduled to be in manila on the 12th so we'll see.

• Like 1

Steve
Posted
Posted

Who did everyone use? We could see if one company is targeted more than another. This time we used manila Forwarder.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I use www.forexworld.com with no real issues except 1 time out on Tacloban. I raised hell and the manager of that facility was replaced. I can't say it was because of me, but the timing was right.I also use special aluminum tape or black duck tape over the clear shipping tape. If either is cut, they can not repair it without it being noticed.One trick is if you do not use wide overlapping tape, they wet the cardboard and then dent the side a bit and try to slip their hand under the tape on the edge, put out something and then let the box dry and if they were carefull, it hardly shows. So tape WIDE on all edges.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Great tips Bruce, but now the BIR is inspecting the contents of boxes. I don't know if they just check a few from each 40 foot container or if each and every box is opened.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well we have been hearing this noise for a while. Way too many to open and repack and then to have to deal with MANY complaints of missing items. XRAY is to be used as far as I know and then if a box is pulled for instpection, it is because of the XRAY and a much higher chance of something being siezed and then good PR for the customs people.Remember our friends in the government also have families too, all spread out over the economic food chain. If customs starts opening every box and then due to time constraints, can't repack properly, good missing or damaged... when those boxes belong to members of the elected officals families... customs will be getting a lot of angry txts! And then the inspections will taper off.... so as long as whatever you are shipping looks ok on XRAY, you should be OK.Also, www.forexworld.com is NOT the cheapest. So far, news articles I have read about customs and delivery issues are related to the cheaper companies. I currently pay $109 USD to Manila and usually $119 USD out to the provinces., but on sale now for the $109. Boxes are 20x23x20 inches. If you go with the cheaper companies, they have less money to buy grease..... and they have the issues.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yep I agree Bruce I don't see how they could open every box. Forex is the shipper we use, the local crew are great guys honest tracking the real deal IMO.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

We use LBC and sometimes Atlas. LBC has provided the best service for us. They pick up locally for free and give replacement boxes free.

• Like 1