How To Treat The Locals In Any Country But Specifically The Phl

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I am far from an expert but I am smart enough to listen to those who have much more experience than I do, I cannot say the same for many foreigners who refuse to lose their home country attitude when moving to the Philippines. While this topic can apply to any countries tourists, many of the people who go to the Philippines are little more than tourists unless they have gotten their residents 13a or the likes, and even then it only affords them a little more rights than a tourist but it does afford them some more rights than those who only stay on tourist visa.So who do I think has a lot of experience in the Philippines and seems to be a level headed person, none other than Jim Sibbick, so I respect his opinions and read his posts and try to absorb what he writes. Below are some excerpts.From THIS Post.

No matter what your thoughts are on any given situation, just grin and bear it.Never ever cause a Filipino to lose face.Treat ALL Filipinos and with respect ALL if the time.
From THIS POST
I personally have had enough of the "ugly foreigners" and I suspect that Filipinos have too!
Exactly my opinion after observing so many act like assholes. From THIS post
No matter what your thoughts are on any given situation, just grin and bear it.
And there are many many many more posts he has made over time where his feelings seem to be in line with mine on respecting our hosts.I often wonder when I see a member say they stood up to a Filipino, how they would feel if a foreigner did that to them in their own country. I know I get pretty insulted when foreigners are nasty to me while they are in the US, so I do not feel it is correct to do it to Filipinos when we are in their country.There is a big difference between standing up for your rights nicely and being an ugly American or ugly any other countries citizens, it just does not look good for the rest of us. Often people cannot see themselves and think raising their voice or telling someone how they think it should be done is correct, but we often forget how things are built in the Philippines and there might be a reason for someone saying they do not wish a certain thing to happen, why not ask them and try to reason with them if they do not have a good reason, but maybe best to shut up if they do.For instance I have seen many housing areas where it says no trucks, so what might be the reason. I have asked and the answer I got was "because a truck can collapse the road because this is a housing complex and not made for trucks," so when I am in the Philippines I tend to agree that often things are not made correctly, and who would be the one to pay if a road collapsed because of an overweight truck, would it be the person who ordered the delivery, or the homeowner whose property got damaged, or the truck which probably has no insurance. So the answer is a lot of people do not wish to chance it, and if it were my property then I would feel the same.What are your opinions and have you ever asked someone why they have certain rules instead of trying to get your own way?
  • Like 3

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Hard to change a leopards spots. If they are an ass---- coming in then they are going to stay an ass---- after then are here.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. . . Often people cannot see themselves and think raising their voice or telling someone how they think it should be done is correct. . . .
I took this one sentence from the opening post because it seemed comical that the poster cannot see that he is the one telling others how they think things should be done here. It doesn't mean I disagree. It means there is no point telling others how they should deal with people anywhere. At our ages we are grown up and have already made up our minds how to deal with people.
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
. . . Often people cannot see themselves and think raising their voice or telling someone how they think it should be done is correct. . . .
I took this one sentence from the opening post because it seemed comical that the poster cannot see that he is the one telling others how they think things should be done here. It doesn't mean I disagree. It means there is no point telling others how they should deal with people anywhere. At our ages we are grown up and have already made up our minds how to deal with people.
My post was a rhetorical question to ask people what they thought not ordering them to do it. I like many of the others in this world cannot see myself at times, but now that I am a member by choice, so no longer an admin, I feel I have the same right to voice my opinion as others and my opinion is people should not be asses while in other peoples countries. There is a big difference between two Americans or two of anything having it out, than a foreigner insulting his host countries people. IMHO it takes more of a man to hold his tongue than to let it run. Is it really stand up for ones rights or is it making the locals give you the rights you think you deserve, when you do not wish to play by their rules.
  • Like 2

Mugs
Posted
Posted

we have a bad enough rap worldwide without some people acting ugly toward host countries people. that is how we earned the title ugly american in the first place with some people having to assert their supposed superiority over others. stupid is as stupid does. the bible says turn the other cheek not spank it.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The world is now a multi culture place and that includes the Philippines. Here in Australia its hard to spot the aussie so my question is,do we tread on tip toes and hide behind bushes every time something might upset someone.Do we never stand our ground when we are right,if our "up to" speed never gets anywhere near it do we just grin and bear it or do we make a complaint.Should my Indian neighbor bare his ass to keep me happy because this is my country and he is a guest because he was not born here? Where do we draw the line? If we are living in or visiting another county we should of course follow the laws and culture of the country although most dont here with the Muslims who where their burka and the Indian taxi drivers with the towel wrapped around their head and the list goes on but you know what I mean.Respect people yes,try to be diplomatic yes,jump up and down and scream NO but no point leaving home if one has to be paranoid about everything they do because its not "their" country.When does one become a part of the country,we have Italians and Chinese that migrated here 50 years ago so should they and their born in Australia children kiss my butt because I'm more Aussie than them only because some time in the past my ancestors somehow migrated here or were deported from the mother country for stealing a loaf of bread or what ever.My point is, no don't be the ugly American or Australia or just plain ugly but the Philippines will one day have to accept that it is also a multi cultured country and we all have to fit in and get along together.My view is if your to scared to walk the street or say boo in case you offend someone then stay home and watch a re-run of days of our lives.If you are a hot head and cant control your temper stay home and punch the walls as per usual as the Philippines is not for you but neither is anywhere.

• Like 4