Applying To Sponsor My Wife To Canada

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

hey guys, I've heard a few conflicting things about sponsoring your wife to Canada, lately:1. My brother said it doesn't matter if I live in Canada or abroad; it takes the same amount of time (he's done it with his Korean wife).2. My friend said I need to have worked in Canada for six months first (he's done it with his Chinese wife).3. The website of Canada says nothing about needing to work in Canada (they've done it with so many people's wives, it's crazy).I still think I should go home anyways, just to settle in first.anyone have experience with this, doing it with their wives?

Edited by ekimswish

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not Canada, I do wish you and your family the very best of luck in moving to Canada.Update;Please PM me for a group here in the States that is very helpful and knowledgeable to do with emigration facts both here in the States but other country's too.

Edited by Old55

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good info site SJP52 provided even though it's linking to a forum which Tom may or may not allow per his forum rules, but I did borrow the comments from that other forum and it seems to answer Mike's concerns! The reference below isn't the forum link, but a site of Canadian immigration attorneys.CANADAVISA.com Avoiding potential problems with your applicationThe most common reason for people to be called for an interview is that the visa officer has doubts about the relationship being genuine. It is up to you to send immigration some quality data, emails, chat logs, phone records, photos, letters and other material to prove to them that your relationship is the real thing. Other reasons you might have problems with is eligibility of the sponsor. The sponsor can not be on social assistance, can not be bankrupt and can not have a record of violent crimes or crimes against family members. If that is the case, better talk to a lawyer and get that cleared up before attempting to apply.Dependent childrenIf your spouse has dependent children, they must be included in the PR application, even if they are not coming to Canada. They will need to have medicals as well to keep the option open to sponsor them later. The only way that immigration will accept the application without those medicals is if the children are no longer minors and refuse to have it or if the children are in the full custody of their other parent who refuses to make them available for medicals. In that case, your spouse needs to sign a statement stating that they know that they will never be able to sponsor these children to Canada in the future.Dependent children are classified as single and either under 22 years of age or if they are older, they must have been full time students since before age 22 or dependent on their parent due to a disability or medical problem.Refusals due to income and medicalsYou will be asked to provide information about your income but you will not be denied to sponsor your spouse and dependent children because you do not make enough money. It is possible though that if you make absolutely no money at all that immigration may ask you how you plan to support yourselves.Spouses and dependent children are also exempt from the clause about excessive demand on health care so you do not have to worry about them being refused for that reason.Sponsoring your spouse while living in another countryIf you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse without being in Canada but you do then have to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when your spouse gets approved for permanent residency. Such proof can include having arranged jobs, being accepted to college, having arranged housing or letters from friends & relatives stating that they know of your plans and that you can stay with them while you look for housing etc.If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. You can chance short vacations (remember that a Canadian vacation is generally no longer than 2 weeks) but if immigration finds out that you are not in Canada, you risk getting your application refused

Edited by Art2ro

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I,m sorry if I broke the rules. It can be removed if you wish.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I,m sorry if I broke the rules. It can be removed if you wish.
No its fine in this case. :mocking:

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys, that's some great info. I'm so busy with work these days, I'm slow at getting around to checking the finer points of the process, and only get online for an hour a day outside my home. I appreciate the links, and especially Art for highlighting some very important things. The part I found most surprising was about my wife's children. I hope we can sponsor them another year or two down the road, but told my wife that I want us to be both working and making decent money at the time that we bring them over, because right now it'd be cheaper to leave them in the Philippines and let them finish (or nearly finish) high school there, and bring 'em over then. We have a bit of debt right now, and that's gotta be taken care of ASAP.

• Like 2