Are Philippine Designated Tourist Destinations In Mindanao Really Safe?

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Hi Everyone,I have a friend who lives in Bislig which is in Caraga, Philippines on the eastern coast of the southern island of Mindanao. I believe one of the star tourist attractions is the Tinuy-an Falls amongst others. My question is; are Philippine designated tourist destinations safe in Mindanao or can they be hot spots for foreigners?I like this girl but I love my life more and I don't want to become another foreigner kidnap victim.Cheers n Beers,Fred

Bruce
Posted
Posted

There are falls in Australia to see.... safer except for the snakes and crocks.... hehehe..Really, with transportation as cheap as it is in Phils, it is better to fly her up to meet you and then you have no 'family' issues or safety issues with the kidnappings. You already have to have a hotel room, and you would pay for her food anyway...... so add in less than $100 for a round trip ticket for her to visit you and it is a done deal. If she refuses to fly to meet you...... RED FLAG!

• Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
There are falls in Australia to see.... safer except for the snakes and crocks.... hehehe..Really, with transportation as cheap as it is in Phils, it is better to fly her up to meet you and then you have no 'family' issues or safety issues with the kidnappings. You already have to have a hotel room, and you would pay for her food anyway...... so add in less than $100 for a round trip ticket for her to visit you and it is a done deal. If she refuses to fly to meet you...... RED FLAG!
Hi Bruce,Good morning. So I take that as a "No" to my original question. I can deal with snakes and crocs, I live in an area with a snake thats 4 times as poisonous as the Indian Cobra. But they are benevolent and don't hunt me, only mice and frogs. Crocs like terrorists do hunt you and I avoid putting myself in their way. I think the locals don't understand because they aren't targets as such.At least I can say that I have it from a good source that it isn't wise for me to travel to her place. Thanks for that.Cheers,Fred

Bruce
Posted
Posted

There are members who live there... but they ain't you. They should know the area and warning signs of trouble. And they are at a higher % of risk then those living in Manila or Cebu or other more northern area. Sporadic issues in manil and northern Samar but nothing like in areas of Mindanao and Zambonga.... Remember you are a tourist and your goal is a nice vacation and then to go home in one piece.Why take a chance? Phils is a large place with lots to see and do without taking a risk of kidnapping or worse. I am sure every year in Australia there are tourists who want to pet the crocs or other such nonsense and catch a bad case of death. At least you can reconize a croc when you see one. Muslim terrorists however have a way of blending in and making friends with you or people that you deal with to find your travel plans and financial situation.You have a special girl you want to see, pay her way to come to you.... much better plan. If things do not work out... she has her return ticket and no close by family members to run to and complain that you will not marry her and support them.

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I think it was stated somewhere on this forum that basically if you look at a map of Mindanao and draw a line from CDO to Davao City and stay on the eastern side of that line, you're pretty safe.Ofcourse you can go wherever you like mate, it's your life.All i'll say is that there are places where i would not go in RP because i just don't see it as being worth the risk, but that's just me.

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)
I think it was stated somewhere on this forum that basically if you look at a map of Mindanao and draw a line from CDO to Davao City and stay on the eastern side of that line, you're pretty safe.Ofcourse you can go wherever you like mate, it's your life.All i'll say is that there are places where i would not go in RP because i just don't see it as being worth the risk, but that's just me.
Well, that assumes that the muslims 1. can read a map, 2, that they have access to a map... OR... hehehehe they may not know they are not supposed to cross that line on a map! I agree safe is better than OH F**K! Edited by Bruce

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I respectfully disagree about the red flag if a Filipina refuses to fly from her home to stay with a Foreigner. Perhaps she would visit someone she never met if a trusted family member would accompany her. Lets keep in mind Filipinos are people not an object. I know that's not at all how you intended it Bruce but someone that doesn't know you better could be missled.
  • Like 4

tbplayer
Posted
Posted

Been to Iligan City and CDO 6 times and felt as safe as I have felt anywhere. Now would I go south of Iligan? um, hell no. :no:

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

I can see this as you say. We all see the world through our own eyes and as an individual who thinks nothing of getting on a plane any flying 11,000 miles from 'home' I guess I am not very sympathic to those who are afraid of flying or who may not be comfortable meeting (A MAN!!!!!!!) without any friends or family present.However, the burdon is on 'her' who ever she may be. If she does not make the effort..... there is no shortage of Pinays who will! No 2nd chance to make a first impression, and if she refuses to meet on his terms, then it is easier to move on than to try to meet her needs. Sorry if that seems hard, but the original poster will be on vacation. Finding a wife does not seem to be on his schedule (this trip) so perhaps she may not be ready to travel and when on vacation, time is short.Also, since he has not traveled to Phils before.... he has not been out to lunch / dinner and looked over at another table to see a white guy and 20+ Pinoys there all eating on his dime. I in fact, make it a point to walk over to the table point my finger at him, laugh and say Welcome to the Philippines! HeheheheThere are many positive points to make / suggest / offer / tell 'her' to travel to him rather than on her home (family) turff.In fact... Before Tom / Jollyroger er good fellow nom de gurre he is today mentions it, I think I shall start another post about the subject so fellow members can 'share' their own family stories.....

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Well, that assumes that the muslims 1. can read a map, 2, that they have access to a map... OR... hehehehe they may not know they are not supposed to cross that line on a map! I agree safe is better than OH F**K!
Well, we all know there are certain "Hotspots" on Mindanao and they all appear to be on the one side of that line so there must be something in it? Would you like to go for a picnic at Lake Lanao?