Are Philippine Designated Tourist Destinations In Mindanao Really Safe?

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys,I had put a red cross through Mindanao and bringing her up for a short stay would be definitely the best option. Who can say how well protected these smaller cities are. I still regard her more of a friend so meeting the family isn't a high priority. I'm not only visiting Phili to see her anyway. It will only be a bit of a downer for her that she can't show me off to Family and friends.Cheers,Fred

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Davao would be the only city I would feel comfortable as a tourist.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
Hi Everyone,I have a friend who lives in Bislig which is in Caraga, Philippines on the eastern coast of the southern island of Mindanao. I believe one of the star tourist attractions is the Tinuy-an Falls amongst others. My question is; are Philippine designated tourist destinations safe in Mindanao or can they be hot spots for foreigners?I like this girl but I love my life more and I don't want to become another foreigner kidnap victim.Cheers n Beers,Fred
In fact, after reading all the posts on this topic, I have google maps open when I'm logged into the dating web site and use it to locate where the girls are before going further. Its amazing how many girls are located in Mindanao.

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Fred, Just remember that there are so many scams going on in the dating internet sites. Some that we might not even have figured out yet. If I were you I would be very careful when it comes to your plans to meet up with a girl that live in Mindanao or any other area of the Philippines. Not to say that all are scam artists or that you can't find a good one in those type of sites. If you are going to have the girl meet you when you arrive in the Philippines so that you can spend some time to get to know each other then I would suggest to you that you purchase the airline tickets yourself online and make sure that it is not a ticket in which somebody can walk in and refund the ticket for money. I would also make all of the hotel reservations myself online. Basically what I am trying to suggest to you is that to protect yourself and your money, do not send any money in advance and expect that you can trust somebody to be doing everything that they might be letting you think that they may be doing for you. You would not be the first foreigner to arrive at a Philippines airport expecting to find a beautiful girl waiting for them, only to find nobody there and not having any idea what to do next. If the girl is true then she will not have a problem with you taking care of things yourself so as to be careful. If she has a problem with you not sending her the money to take care of things then that again is a big RED FLAG.We all hope things work out for you and you have a great trip and also meet up with some wonderful women. None of us want to see you become one of the horror stories of the foreigner that gets scammed over his desire for a new life in the Philippines.

• Like 5

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
Fred,Just remember that there are so many scams going on in the dating internet sites. Some that we might not even have figured out yet. If I were you I would be very careful when it comes to your plans to meet up with a girl that live in Mindanao or any other area of the Philippines. Not to say that all are scam artists or that you can't find a good one in those type of sites. If you are going to have the girl meet you when you arrive in the Philippines so that you can spend some time to get to know each other then I would suggest to you that you purchase the airline tickets yourself online and make sure that it is not a ticket in which somebody can walk in and refund the ticket for money. I would also make all of the hotel reservations myself online. Basically what I am trying to suggest to you is that to protect yourself and your money, do not send any money in advance and expect that you can trust somebody to be doing everything that they might be letting you think that they may be doing for you. You would not be the first foreigner to arrive at a Philippines airport expecting to find a beautiful girl waiting for them, only to find nobody there and not having any idea what to do next. If the girl is true then she will not have a problem with you taking care of things yourself so as to be careful. If she has a problem with you not sending her the money to take care of things then that again is a big RED FLAG.We all hope things work out for you and you have a great trip and also meet up with some wonderful women. None of us want to see you become one of the horror stories of the foreigner that gets scammed over his desire for a new life in the Philippines.
Hi Garpo,Thanks for your advice. With all these different stories and enough red flags to make any mad bull go crazy, I'm wondering if its not better to just go and meet up with some of the expats that frequent this forum and get them to introduce me to some nice girls they or their wives / girlfriends know. That way I can get to make some friends and meet some good girls too. I probably still want to meet some bad ones but only in place so there isn't enough time for the news to get around to the family via radio coconut tree heheheh :no:
  • Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)
Fred,Just remember that there are so many scams going on in the dating internet sites. Some that we might not even have figured out yet. If I were you I would be very careful when it comes to your plans to meet up with a girl that live in Mindanao or any other area of the Philippines. Not to say that all are scam artists or that you can't find a good one in those type of sites. If you are going to have the girl meet you when you arrive in the Philippines so that you can spend some time to get to know each other then I would suggest to you that you purchase the airline tickets yourself online and make sure that it is not a ticket in which somebody can walk in and refund the ticket for money. I would also make all of the hotel reservations myself online. Basically what I am trying to suggest to you is that to protect yourself and your money, do not send any money in advance and expect that you can trust somebody to be doing everything that they might be letting you think that they may be doing for you. You would not be the first foreigner to arrive at a Philippines airport expecting to find a beautiful girl waiting for them, only to find nobody there and not having any idea what to do next. If the girl is true then she will not have a problem with you taking care of things yourself so as to be careful. If she has a problem with you not sending her the money to take care of things then that again is a big RED FLAG.We all hope things work out for you and you have a great trip and also meet up with some wonderful women. None of us want to see you become one of the horror stories of the foreigner that gets scammed over his desire for a new life in the Philippines.
Hi Garpo,Thanks for your advice. With all these different stories and enough red flags to make any mad bull go crazy, I'm wondering if its not better to just go and meet up with some of the expats that frequent this forum and get them to introduce me to some nice girls they or their wives / girlfriends know. That way I can get to make some friends and meet some good girls too. I probably still want to meet some bad ones but only in place so there isn't enough time for the news to get around to the family via radio coconut tree heheheh :no:
Be careful with that also. When I was planning on my relocation to the Philippines over a year ago I can honestly say that I had about as many expat foreigners (not on this forum) trying to get me to buy land or invest with them etc. etc. etc. etc. So it is not only the natives here that you have to watch out for. But I would suggest that meeting up with a few other expats would be a very, very smart thing to do. Once you meet one that you can get along with (If possible) and meet their wives or girlfriends then you can decide which ones you would like to introduce you to some of the local candy. heheheheEven if you meet the girl of your dreams once you get here or even over the internet, I would still suggest that you take her and introduce her to the wife or girlfriend of an expat/foreigner. These gals can smell a con job by another girl a mile away and they will not be afraid to tell you to run for your life if they see that you are getting the wool pulled over your eyes.You seemed to be doing your research and making some very wise decisions. I am sure that you will do fine once you get here. Edited by Garpo

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Understand your concerns and edited my post i.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
Hi Garpo,Thanks for your advice. With all these different stories and enough red flags to make any mad bull go crazy, I'm wondering if its not better to just go and meet up with some of the expats that frequent this forum and get them to introduce me to some nice girls they or their wives / girlfriends know. That way I can get to make some friends and meet some good girls too. I probably still want to meet some bad ones but only in place so there isn't enough time for the news to get around to the family via radio coconut tree heheheh :540:
Be careful with that also. When I was planning on my relocation to the Philippines over a year ago I can honestly say that I had about as many expat foreigners (not on this forum) trying to get me to buy land or invest with them etc. etc. etc. etc. So it is not only the natives here that you have to watch out for. But I would suggest that meeting up with a few other expats would be a very, very smart thing to do. Once you meet one that you can get along with (If possible) and meet their wives or girlfriends then you can decide which ones you would like to introduce you to some of the local candy. heheheheIf you would like any of the member here on the forum to be on the look out for a nice girl for you then I am sure all you have to do is say so and we all would be more than happy to help you out. I would suggest however that you handle that via pm's as we do not want to turn this into a dating forum.Even if you meet the girl of your dreams once you get here or even over the internet, I would still suggest that you take her and introduce her to the wife or girlfriend of an expat/foreigner. These gals can smell a con job by another girl a mile away and they will not be afraid to tell you to run for your life if they see that you are getting the wool pulled over your eyes.You seemed to be doing your research and making some very wise decisions. I am sure that you will do fine once you get here.
Perhaps a little thought about this
If you would like any of the member here on the forum to be on the look out for a nice girl for you then I am sure all you have to do is say so and we all would be more than happy to help you out. I would suggest however that you handle that via pm's as we do not want to turn this into a dating forum.
No offence to the OP or Garpo for suggesting it but no one here knows you, you seem like an OK guy but thinking about that fact, I personally dont feel its a good idea for forum members to be on the look out for a good girl for the OP as would you set your sister up with an unknown guy you read about on the internet?May be different if the OP has met members personally and they feel he is OK but for the safety of the Filipina I think that should be the only way a meeting or recommendation of a "good" girl should be given.How many times do you read these days of someone meeting up with someone they met on Facebook only to be found dead some where,I know that's an extreme example but I go back to,would you set your sister up with an unknown man?Again,this is just my view and nothing personal against the OP but I hope you can see my point right or wrong. :no:
Yes thats true...thats why noone has received a PM from me and won't. I did say I would like to meet you guys if your around when I visit and thats about it for a start. Enjoy a few beers perhaps at the forum gathering when thats on. I'm on holiday and will follow my nose with guidance I've received on this forum. So don't worry, you don't have to hide your wifes / girl friend's best friend.My biggest priority is staying out of troubled areas cause I'm not guarenteed to follow the tour guides :)Cheers,Fred