Problem With Dog Ticks

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I have a Doberman that is a great watch dog and I keep her in a fenced area that is all on cement. It is a very large area and she pretty much has the freedom to move about the entire area. The problem that I am having is that she keeps getting ticks and I have treated her several times that seems to work for a while but then the problems starts back up again. I have tried different cleaning and pesticides in the area that she stays but just am not having much luck. Has anybody else had this similar type problem and does anybody have any ideas as to what I can do to get rid of these nasty little things once and for all?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have a Doberman that is a great watch dog and I keep her in a fenced area that is all on cement. It is a very large area and she pretty much has the freedom to move about the entire area. The problem that I am having is that she keeps getting ticks and I have treated her several times that seems to work for a while but then the problems starts back up again. I have tried different cleaning and pesticides in the area that she stays but just am not having much luck. Has anybody else had this similar type problem and does anybody have any ideas as to what I can do to get rid of these nasty little things once and for all?
Without researching it I believe ticks usually come from long grass or are on bushes,if the dog brushes up against it then the tick can attach its self. Not sure why you would have ticks in a concrete yard,or do you mean fleas?

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)

No they are not fleas. They are ticks and there is no grass, weeds, or plants at all where I keep her. It is all cement and is probably about 200 sq. meters in size.

Edited by Garpo

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I have no answer... but a caution. Since you are frustrated with the ticks, you may over do it with the pesticides. You come and go in the area (hey, maybe you bring in the ticks? on your pants??) but the dog stays there so it's exposure to the pesticides is long term and more concentrated = long term liver issues.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

What makes a dog tick :)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

From the info found on google the spray for dogs called Frontline seems to be recommended, vets in Cebu should have it or other wise its advertised on sulit, http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/2081953/Frontline+Spray%28fipronil%29for+ticks+and+fleas+prevention+in+dogs?referralKeywords=dog+ticks+and+fleasSeems all the experts say high grass or shrubs are where the ticks live so dont know where yours are coming from. Maybe they are mites?

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have the shampoo and collars for the dog that does help to keep them off of her but they still seem to come back. There has to be an area somewhere where they are able to lay their eggs and populate. Seem to have two choices. One is to find an exterminator that can come and spray the entire area and the other is to use some gas and do some burning of the gas on the cement. Not sure which one I will choose as of yet. Burning them off the cement seems to be pretty easy as long as I don't burn the house down also. LOLThese things are way to big to be mites. These are the blood sucker type ticks that you can't just be washed off.

Edited by Garpo

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well in the US, I would rent a steam generator.... looks similar to a pressure washer but generates a huge amount of steam under pressure. Safer then burning and you can 'sanitize' a whole yard and kill anything there without any chemicals. Other than that, hot water works but more labor involved to heat and transport it and throw it. I have used a large hot water heater and turned the thermostat up to 160+ degrees, but you need a hot water rated hose. The hot water soaks into the ground and is great for deep ant colonies.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Try diatomaceous earth. its like a sand, used in swimming pool filters, Amorphous diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled around baseboards, under furniture, in cracks, and hard-to-reach areas. Somewhat messy, this substance kills the fleas by causing them to dehydrate. Do not use the glassified type used in pool filters. try changes in the dietyes it states its a "flea" treatment it can help with Ticks and other "bugs" Dietary additions for boosting immunity and repelling bugs: ** A half teaspoon of nutritional brewer's yeast daily can provide the B complex vitamins a dog needs. Dr. Michael Fox has recommended brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast (but not baker's yeast), giving 1 teaspoon per 30 pounds of body weight mixed with the animal's food. ** B complex vitamins - 50 mg once a day for cats and smaller dogs, and twice daily for larger dogs. ** Use Omega 3 and 6 fatty acid supplements. ** Add a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar to the dog's water bowl. ** Add .a teaspoon each of safflower oil and powdered kelp or seaweed to the food bowl. ** Fresh garlic in small quantities can help repel fleas by making the animal taste unpleasant to fleas. Grate a small amount of fresh, raw garlic into your pet's food at mealtime, about one-half to 3 chambers of the clove (chamber, not a whole clove) depending on the animal's size. One vet recommends one crushed clove of garlic (not a whole bulb; a clove is just one chamber) per every 30 pounds. Some holistic health practitioners recommend heating the garlic for easier digestion, and to not to give them garlic every day. http://www.paw-rescu...tPrevention.php

• Like 1