Court Room On Wheels

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Seems the Philippines is getting a bit high tech.

• Like 1

Candyman
Posted
Posted

That is an interesting concept ! It would probably be OK for minor matters, but for murders rapes and armed robberies, etc, I think a proper Courtroom would be more fitting !

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
That is an interesting concept ! It would probably be OK for minor matters, but for murders rapes and armed robberies, etc, I think a proper Courtroom would be more fitting !
I agree -- cases for more violent and repeat criminals should not be afforded this luxury. I'm surprise I did not see any "collection boxes". Could it be under the table......he, he.Jake

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)

It appears to me to not be set up for jury type cases, actually do they have a Jury in the Philippines?Just to add, you have to give the Philippines credit for making changes like this in my opinion.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
added wee bit
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
It appears to me to not be set up for jury type cases, actually do they have a Jury in the Philippines?
"The Philippines judicial system does not include jury trials. Judges are the triers of fact." American Bar Association - Asia Law Initiative

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
here is a news article from last Nov2011 about some of the success the "COURT ROOM ON WHEELS " has done,For Me or My Opinion, this is the BEST thing that I have seen for those who have been "in trouble"with the law or have been arrested BUT still waiting for "JUSTICE" ,When the Current system has many flaws, THIS PROGRAM GIVES HOPEJUST READ THE statisticsover 6000 released in a 3 year period,OVERSTAYING inmates released.Would the "current" system been of assistance to them?DAGUPAN CITY –Fifty-two detainees will be celebrating Christmas with their respective families after ordered released by the judges in the Supreme Court’s "Enhanced Justice on Wheels" (EJOW).The two customized EJOW buses of the Supreme Court held their mobile hearing and mediation proceedings in front of the Provincial Capitol Building in Lingayen Thursday morning.Forty nine of the 58 scheduled cases were heard inside the two EJOW bus court rooms.Thirty-two decisions were later promulgated, while 17 cases were dismissed.That day, 20 "overstaying" detainees were ordered released having been detained in jail longer than the maximum length of imprisonment penalty corresponding to their respective offenses.In Dagupan, 32 detainees were released after the courts heard/tried 83 cases. Sixty one of the cases were dismissed while 22 cases were promulgated decisions.On Thursday morning, Supreme Court Administrator Marquez and the Governor . led the opening program at the Capitol Plaza. Also present were Integrated Bar of the Philippines-Pangasinan Chapter President and members of the judiciary from the different courts in Pangasinan.Marquez explained that the objectives of the EJOW program includes jail decongestion by releasing "overstaying" detainees; case decongestion;back-to-back with medical/dental aid for the inmates at jails near the EJOW venue;dialogue with barangay officials,and in a separate venue, dialogue with the members of the judiciary and lawyers in the province.The number of criminal and civil cases resolved in Pangasinan with the help of EJOW has added to the more than 6,500 criminal case decisions promulgated nationwide in a three-year period.More than 6,000 overstaying inmates were also released and the more than 7,000 civil cases terminated through mediation.(partial story, edit as some was in tagalog)http://www.sunstar.com.ph/pangasinan/local-news/2011/11/26/52-detainees-freed-after-court-wheels-visits-pangasinan-192693

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I would say that something is better than nothing. While it my not be perfect, it certainly is a positive note to a system that has not been working for a long time. When you have over 6000 inmate that have overstayed the maximum sentence time for the crime that they have not even been convicted of? I am actually surprised that more civil rights movements have not raised some hell over this.

• Like 2