How Much Is A Life Worth

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

The more life goes on, the crazier I see things in the Philippines are getting, or maybe they always were. On Christmas night while walking home, one of my wife's nephews wife was walking home with the younger brother of her husband only to be gunned down and killed because the village councilor for no reason except he was drunk. He also shot the nephew in the leg twice through and through and once in the stomach, so we sent money but apparently it was not enough, even when they have PhilHealth, so we find out last night that the doctor refused to take the bullet out of the boys stomach for over a week now even when the kid is writhing in pain all this time because he wants all paid for before he will remove the bullet in a community hospital, but guess what, it is a holiday weekend and the banks are closed so the boy will have to wait until after the holiday to get the bullet removed. And people wonder why I get negative towards a country that operates this way.The worst part of most things like this that happens, is that in the end, if the family of the person who kills and injures another is willing to pay the family enough money, sometimes as little as 5000 pesos and sometimes as much as the hospital bill, the person who killed the other person will never end up charged, and if they do, once the right amount of money is paid to the family, the charges will be dropped. So how much is your wife, gf, child, parents, or whoever worth to you to not press charges against a killer, seems peoples lives are worth very little to doctors, hospitals and to the poorer Filipinos who will accept a pittance for their relatives when all is said and done. I will almost bet money that eventually our nephew will be paid blood money for his wife and possibly the hospital bill will be paid for his younger brother and all will end up forgotten, WTF. What a screwed up country where life has so little value that doctors will not even accept the word of a patient that the bill will be paid and the money is on the way. What are the chances our nephew will even live once the bullet has been left in over a week since infection has already set in. and if he dies, who would be to blame, we would for not sending enough money in the first place, even when no one asked for a specific amount in the first place. How are we to know how much above PhilHealth it cost to remove a bullet.When will it be your turn in the barrel, think about it, because if it can happen to our family, then it can happen to yours.

Edited by Mr. Lee

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
so we sent money but apparently it was not enough,
Condolences to your wife's family. It has to be very frustrating for all concerned. I hope they don't end up blaming you for not sending 'enough' money. It seems to be a common occurrence here when blame is being passed around.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
so we sent money but apparently it was not enough,
Condolences to your wife's family. It has to be very frustrating for all concerned. I hope they don't end up blaming you for not sending 'enough' money. It seems to be a common occurrence here when blame is being passed around.
Thank you Dave, the frustrations of things in the Philippines has become too much at times and the blame or burden is almost always put on us because of course we are soooooooooooo f-in rich. The kids we sent to college who stole money from the account, we were to blame for putting it in there in the first place, putting too much temptation in front of them, yeah that is good logic. Then last year a baby in the family died of something as simple as diarrhea and the hospital help the body hostage until we paid something like p25,000, but who was to blame for the baby dying in the first place, IMHO the damned hospital for not treating the child properly. The Philippines has become a cesspool of illogical things happening and I have to wonder where the morals of the doctors went, or if they ever really had morals in the first place to allow a baby to die when an iv would have probably saved him, and to leave a bullet in a teenager until the money is paid in full before the operation can start. :541: 1%20(103).gif1%20(103).gif1%20(103).gif Edited by Mr. Lee

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Haven’t I've always said that “it’s always a matter of money” especially here in the Philippines since it’s a 3rd world country with a high poverty rate where 1/3 of the population is well below the poverty level. Most foreigners and or Fil/Ams probably have extended families that are living in poverty, but with our association with our wives immediate family, they are assisted monetarily to make their lives more bearable in their everyday needs. We can only do what we can to help up to a point as to not make our own lives miserable! Some one has to bite the bullet when no other solutions are to be had to one’s life’s predicaments and that‘s a shame anyone has to suffer and or die because of it! That’s just life in any 3rd world country! Only those who have the assets, resources and the adequate finances are the fortunate ones! Again, “it’s always a matter of money"! Ending with those words, all I can say is, I wish for all to have a "Prosperous and Happy New Year"!

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

Their should be a way that you could sue the hospital or doctor for neglect, You hear of people dying for the sake of a few peso, I think it is disgusting that a government allows such things to happen...Welcome to Paradise

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Their should be a way that you could sue the hospital or doctor for neglect, You hear of people dying for the sake of a few peso, I think it is disgusting that a government allows such things to happen...Welcome to Paradise
Not sure of the difference of a community hospital and government hospital as stated in the OPs post but I would think if anyone had some backbone then they would have said that the doc has no choice but do his job as a promissory note is all that is required.Someone can correct me if I'm wrong!

sjp52
Posted
Posted

these crazy things that happen in the Philippines are easy to forget until it happens to your family. My prayers go out to your family. A month after my wife and I got married I had to go back to Canada to sort out some things and with in one week of being gone my wifes ex boyfriend made a visit to her and stabbed her 6 times and himself twice and she went to the hospital and almost died. He was captured and sent to jail but had family that worked out of country and they sent money home ( 30,000 pesos ) and he was released after 3 months. He now lives in Davoa and is not allowed to visit CDO. I was told by my wife that money can buy your way out of any problem. even murder. So it seems that they have put a price tag on human life here.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
Not sure of the difference of a community hospital and government hospital as stated in the OPs post but I would think if anyone had some backbone then they would have said that the doc has no choice but do his job as a promissory note is all that is required.Someone can correct me if I'm wrong!
You would think that with the strong feeling for revenge with families here that some one would get even with some of these Doctors who watch while the victim dies. In my eyes the doctor is the murderer.
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
You would think that with the strong feeling for revenge with families here that some one would get even with some of these Doctors who watch while the victim dies. In my eyes the doctor is the murderer.
In many cases, "something" is arranged to get even. There was this group called the Red Sparrow in Manilaand of course the NPA out in the boonies. When everything else fails (government, PNP and justice system)I would not hesitate to drop a dime on someone. Have the local NPA put a black ribbon on somebody's dooras 2 minute warning. And then it's game over........!There too many people being oppressed, suppressed and tortured simply because they are poor and powerless.Jungle rules applies here once again.Jake

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)
The more life goes on, the crazier I see things in the Philippines are getting, or maybe they always were. On Christmas night while walking home, one of my wife's nephews wife was walking home with the younger brother of her husband only to be gunned down and killed because the village councilor for no reason except he was drunk. He also shot the nephew in the leg twice through and through and once in the stomach, so we sent money but apparently it was not enough, even when they have PhilHealth, so we find out last night that the doctor refused to take the bullet out of the boys stomach for over a week now even when the kid is writhing in pain all this time because he wants all paid for before he will remove the bullet in a community hospital, but guess what, it is a holiday weekend and the banks are closed so the boy will have to wait until after the holiday to get the bullet removed. And people wonder why I get negative towards a country that operates this way.The worst part of most things like this that happens, is that in the end, if the family of the person who kills and injures another is willing to pay the family enough money, sometimes as little as 5000 pesos and sometimes as much as the hospital bill, the person who killed the other person will never end up charged, and if they do, once the right amount of money is paid to the family, the charges will be dropped. So how much is your wife, gf, child, parents, or whoever worth to you to not press charges against a killer, seems peoples lives are worth very little to doctors, hospitals and to the poorer Filipinos who will accept a pittance for their relatives when all is said and done. I will almost bet money that eventually our nephew will be paid blood money for his wife and possibly the hospital bill will be paid for his younger brother and all will end up forgotten, WTF. What a screwed up country where life has so little value that doctors will not even accept the word of a patient that the bill will be paid and the money is on the way. What are the chances our nephew will even live once the bullet has been left in over a week since infection has already set in. and if he dies, who would be to blame, we would for not sending enough money in the first place, even when no one asked for a specific amount in the first place. How are we to know how much above PhilHealth it cost to remove a bullet.When will it be your turn in the barrel, think about it, because if it can happen to our family, then it can happen to yours.
Do you mean he was shot BY the village councillor?
one of my wife's nephews wife was walking home with the younger brother of her husband only to be gunned down and killed because the village councilor for no reason except he was drunk
I'm not picking holes.... just trying to understand things. Edited by Jollygoodfellow
put quote in for better vision