Attempted Break In. Where Can I Buy An Alarm.

Stroker Hawaii
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me find a home alarm or security system here in Cebu. I live in Lahug.Someone the other night tried to break in while I was home and awake. My light was on in my room. They broke the lock on my front door. The keyhole is shattered. I heard someone hit the door and I went down to check. I didn't realize it was an attempted break in until later when I tried to stick my key in my lock and noticed it was shattered.I'm real concerned they tried to break in while my bedroom light was on and my tv was on. They had no fear I was awake, or it coulda been a jealous bf looking to get revenge. A couple weeks ago I fired a maid because she was horrible. But she was having relations with either one of my subdivision workers or a neighbor. I found empty condom wrappers in her room, along with a huge pile of my dirty clothes that she couldn't be bothered to wash.So anyway, back to the subject at hand. I want to get a home security system. Alarm system. And I want it today. Meaning I need to buy it here and not order it from the US and wait a month to get it. I also want it installed professionally.I had one back home and the alarm is so loud you can hear it for blocks. My guard shack is within sight of my house and only about 50 to 70 yards away. My gaurds will hear the alarm. Whether they respond or not is a different story.I can't get a dog because there is a distemper epidemic where I live now. I just put my dog to sleep a few days ago because the poor little guy caught it and could not recover. I'm not losing another dog.Please tell me, who do I call. I want motion activated lights installed and an alarm system. If it was an attempted robbery or hit I don't know, but either way I'm pretty freaking concerned.Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm renting so I can't go and start installing bars on the windows and doing crazy stuff to the house. Not to mention I don't have a ton of money and I need some security now.Thanks gang.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Right now, your 'freaking out' is your biggest liability. www.ebay.ph may help you and there are alarms available in Manila or in Metro Cebu (I don't know where on Cebu you are). If you know anyone there, wire them the money, they buy it and put in on the bus to be delivered to you in 2-3 days.MUCH better plan to hire or assign a guard to sit by the front door for 2-5 days until you settle down and buy what you really want instead of the 1st thing that comes along and you will be unhappy later.Also... as odd at it may sound.... unless you have a gun... buy a SWORD. The fencing foil type, but sharp. Keep one in the BR and one by the front / back doors. It really is easy to keep a man with a knife or a machete at an arms length. While they must slash, you are in a much better position to simply 'stick' them a few times. Average sword (fencing) is 41", plus the length of your arm..... Your reach is much greater and their forward motion only deepings any puncture wounds you may decide to give them.

• Like 1

Stroker Hawaii
Posted
Posted

Thank you. I'm in Metro Cebu. In Lahug. Yeah I am freaking out, true, I never had this happen to me before. Man that's pretty scary to think of a guy with a machete breaking into my house. I'll go look for swords, I never thought of that. My only problem is if I keep them by the door and they get in, then they could use it against me. I'd prefer a loud alarm over a weapon. No, I don't have a gun here. I'm a foreigner and as far as I know I'm not allowed to have one. Any idea how much a guard would cost per day?

Right now, your 'freaking out' is your biggest liability. www.ebay.ph may help you and there are alarms available in Manila or in Metro Cebu (I don't know where on Cebu you are). If you know anyone there, wire them the money, they buy it and put in on the bus to be delivered to you in 2-3 days.MUCH better plan to hire or assign a guard to sit by the front door for 2-5 days until you settle down and buy what you really want instead of the 1st thing that comes along and you will be unhappy later.Also... as odd at it may sound.... unless you have a gun... buy a SWORD. The fencing foil type, but sharp. Keep one in the BR and one by the front / back doors. It really is easy to keep a man with a knife or a machete at an arms length. While they must slash, you are in a much better position to simply 'stick' them a few times. Average sword (fencing) is 41", plus the length of your arm..... Your reach is much greater and their forward motion only deepings any puncture wounds you may decide to give them.

brock
Posted
Posted

You can buy a small motion censor camera to place near your door with a monitor in your bedroom pretty cheap and easy enough to install yourself.

Stroker Hawaii
Posted
Posted
You can buy a small motion censor camera to place near your door with a monitor in your bedroom pretty cheap and easy enough to install yourself.
Hmm... Ok thanks. Where do I get that from? The other thing is if I'm not constantly watching the camera then what good will it do? Of course I'd have a video record of the person that either robbed or killed me, but I'm trying to avoid that whole robbing and killing thing. :-) I worked as a security guard for a while and had to watch video monitors. It was pretty boring. I did see a guy ripping off cars once, and I was able to chase him away when I went out into the garage, however that was after he had already ripped off two cars, and he got away with the loot. I'm still interested in the camera but I don't think it would be my first line of defense. I also really want to avoid having to use a sword, I'm kinda non violent.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Very scary, If it were me I would move but at the least get some door contact alarms today. They install in less then 5 min, when the contact between the sensor and alarm is broken a 130 decibel alarm goes off. It may not scare him away but at least you'll know. I use them on every door. Tru Value in Ayala has them at 750p, I believe. They also have 3M heavy duty double-sided tape to hang them, don't use the tape that comes with it. Good luck.

• Like 1

Stroker Hawaii
Posted
Posted
Very scary, If it were me I would move but at the least get some door contact alarms today. They install in less then 5 min, when the contact between the sensor and alarm is broken a 130 decibel alarm goes off. It may not scare him away but at least you'll know. I use them on every door. Tru Value in Ayala has them at 750p, I believe. They also have 3M heavy duty double-sided tape to hang them, don't use the tape that comes with it. Good luck.
Perfect thanks! Yeah I'm familiar with that tape that comes with the sensors. I had a system professionally installed in my house in Hawaii. One night my alarm went off and it's one of the talking ones. So it was saying, "Living room Window." I grabbed my shotgun and answered the call from the alarm monitoring company which came within seconds. The police also showed up in under 10 minutes. Walking downstairs with my cocked and loaded shotgun was a pretty intense experience and I fully expected to find someone in my living room. But what happened was one of the sensors fell off the window. And of course over here they don't have alarm monitoring companies and if they did they wouldn't be calling you within seconds and the cops might never show up. But I'll take what I can get, better than nothing.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Thank you. I'm in Metro Cebu. In Lahug. Yeah I am freaking out, true, I never had this happen to me before. Man that's pretty scary to think of a guy with a machete breaking into my house. I'll go look for swords, I never thought of that. My only problem is if I keep them by the door and they get in, then they could use it against me. I'd prefer a loud alarm over a weapon.No, I don't have a gun here. I'm a foreigner and as far as I know I'm not allowed to have one. Any idea how much a guard would cost per day?
I am not sure how much a guard costs per day but it should be less than $10. An alarm is just that, nothing more. An alarm that gives (some) advance notice that you have an uninvited gueat. Without a weapon, you are as helpless as you want to be until help arrives IF help arrives at all.The sword can be on the wall for decoration or behind the sofa... as long as it is available and one in the bed room too. Cheap, easy to master, visual deterrent. And it can, if used well, keep your attacker at more than an arms length away. Nothing is perfect, but short of a gun.. a sword is sound thinking back up. I do believe you can get a gun. If you have a wife or GF living with you, she can get it maybe easier and legal for in home storage. In any case you will be more relaxed as each day passes and your life returns to normal.
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me find a home alarm or security system here in Cebu. I live in Lahug.Someone the other night tried to break in while I was home and awake. My light was on in my room. They broke the lock on my front door. The keyhole is shattered. I heard someone hit the door and I went down to check. I didn't realize it was an attempted break in until later when I tried to stick my key in my lock and noticed it was shattered.I'm real concerned they tried to break in while my bedroom light was on and my tv was on. They had no fear I was awake, or it coulda been a jealous bf looking to get revenge. A couple weeks ago I fired a maid because she was horrible. But she was having relations with either one of my subdivision workers or a neighbor. I found empty condom wrappers in her room, along with a huge pile of my dirty clothes that she couldn't be bothered to wash.So anyway, back to the subject at hand. I want to get a home security system. Alarm system. And I want it today. Meaning I need to buy it here and not order it from the US and wait a month to get it. I also want it installed professionally.I had one back home and the alarm is so loud you can hear it for blocks. My guard shack is within sight of my house and only about 50 to 70 yards away. My gaurds will hear the alarm. Whether they respond or not is a different story.I can't get a dog because there is a distemper epidemic where I live now. I just put my dog to sleep a few days ago because the poor little guy caught it and could not recover. I'm not losing another dog.Please tell me, who do I call. I want motion activated lights installed and an alarm system. If it was an attempted robbery or hit I don't know, but either way I'm pretty freaking concerned.Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm renting so I can't go and start installing bars on the windows and doing crazy stuff to the house. Not to mention I don't have a ton of money and I need some security now.Thanks gang.
Hey Stroker good to see you back on and sorry to hear of your problem. I believe this company SSMi installs alarms since someone told me about it and it stuck in my mind because it has SM in it, so I looked it up for you. At least it would be worth a phone call. As others have said, an alarm is only as good as it waking you up, how your neighbors and the guards respond or react to it. and helping to alert you to get ready, so a good heavy baseball bat, a can of high pressure Wasp spray found in most hardware stores to spray them in the eyes while they are still at a distance from you, and being extra nice to the guards and telling the guards you would reward them any time they assisted you if your alarm goes off, might be of value. I buy our guards lunch and snacks once in a while and give them coffee or sodas and have even taken some of them out drinking with the guys, so I earned their respect and friendship and they always look out for me because of that.Stay safe and moving might be a good idea as well, if you actually feel it is because of some interactions you have had. Be safe my friend.
  • Like 2