Carcar-Where do you live ?

Flason
Posted
Posted (edited)

WallingI am interested I living in cacar I wll be leaving for Cebu in feb to live in the Philippines. Would like to know more about where you liveNoteSplit topic for better responsesAdmin,chief and cook. :23_11_60[2]:

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
split topic
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I looked at Carcar but didn't like it at all so I kept heading south and ended up in Argao for now. Nice little town but lacking in some basic supplies so you have to go to - you guessed it, Carcar. There's always a tradeoff.

• 4 weeks later...
Dzighnman
Posted
Posted

I relocated in Carcar as it is my wife's hometown. When we relocated, the plan was to stay put. We have since needed to travel for business a bit more than I had hoped but are destined to return home to Carcar in the next couple months. We rent a home there as we needed space for alot of "stuff" we brought with us. I have not lived in other locales in the Philippines, so I cannot draw comparisons, however, what I can share is that in general, we are located along an arterial so it is noisy from traffic at most all hours... even the odd motorbike at 2am is awakening as they love to take off the mufflers. But like living near an airport, you get used to it. Life there is pretty laid back as I suspect most life in the Phils is.. we have a Coke/SanMig distributor and we find most of our needs met around town. We do head to Cebu every couple weeks for higher quality meats and if we need something we cannot locate in Carcar... example being an appliance selection. I am not into the bar scene and so the fact that Carcar has no " bar scene" is not a detractor for me... Carcar is sizable in population, but after a few months, I was recognized around town and many smiling hello's are offered up as we run around town are something I never ever experienced in the USA.... even in a town of 4000 people. I can say that the mayoral effort to clean up the place seems to be bearing fruit.. .gone are the road clogging Manok cookers in front of Gaisano, the market has made great progress, by local standards, towards cleaning up. Of course, Gaisano has expanded, though I personally detest that place no matter where I have to visit them. (Reason is mainly the poor selection, poor service and in markets they own... prices can be steep) For us, we are at a somewhat midpoint between Moalboal and Cebu City (more or less), and headed east to Barili there are many natural features to visit.... albeit, sometimes waning in maintenance, but again, you get used to it. In general, my theme is I "get used to it" pretty easy so many of the things that might really bother others, are not issues with me. Selection for basic needs, like MikeB says, makes Carcar work for me... as we all know, you need more than one source for most of those basics as one or more will surely be "out of stock, sir" when you need it the most. I love it here and could not envision leaving the Carcar area. Hope this helps paint the picture.....

• Like 5

Flason
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your post Dman I am leaving Florida feb1 ( tomorrow ) and will be in San Fernando Cebu by feb3. I think that I am going to try carcar first I am ok with how you described it. Hope we can catch up. Thanks again

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I did a Google search of Carcar, nice quaint province! Do these photos do Carcar justice and represent the area well? https://www.google.c...iw=1166&bih=661We live in Sta. Rosa, Laguna, Northern Central Luzon:https://www.google.c...w.,cf.osb&cad=bJust across the street from Paseo de Santa Rosa:https://www.google.c...iw=1166&bih=661

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
Thanks for your post Dman I am leaving Florida feb1 ( tomorrow ) and will be in San Fernando Cebu by feb3. I think that I am going to try carcar first I am ok with how you described it. Hope we can catch up. Thanks again
We are envious, and counting the days until we get to say we are flying tomorrow... still wrapping up some business in the USA.. ENJOY!! How long are you there?

Flason
Posted
Posted

I my friend am staying forever if very thing goes ok. My back up is thialand. But I meet this girl from Sa Fernando, I am hoping everything work out with me and her. Look me up when u come. Sence I will be there before u let me know if there is anything I can do. Do u know of any apt there for rent?

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Theres a few Appts In Carcar I suggest RL apartments near the market . Its 10,000 pesos a month aircon ,cable tv, newer place everything included and great security with nice owners . Its the best bet until you look around town for another place .I also know of a few houses depending on your budget . Carcars good mostly because of location but the town has really cleaned up in the last couple years and a new market and sports complex will help it along. Its the last international ATM south on the island , last Gaisano well the last real shopping . Not really any night life except a couple Karaoke bars and the plaza you can have a cold one and people watch. Lots of expats in the area but most seem to keep to them selfs .

• Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted (edited)
I my friend am staying forever if very thing goes ok. My back up is thialand. But I meet this girl from Sa Fernando, I am hoping everything work out with me and her. Look me up when u come. Sence I will be there before u let me know if there is anything I can do. Do u know of any apt there for rent?
I am not current on the apartment scene, but I think "Ceburocks" is, maybe look him up on this forum. Good luck, it is an adventure! We will certainly check in on you when we get back home and see how you are making out. :23_11_60[2]: Edit: Hmmmmm, seems I passed right over Cebu rocks post without noticing he already checked in to assist. Thanks CR... oops, I guess I should type it out huh?... Cebu rocks. :hystery: Edited by Dzighnman
  • Like 2

billten
Posted
Posted

I have lived for the last 6 years in Carcar. I bought a 3 hectare lot up in the mountains about 6km's from the center of Carcar town in 2006, I built a glass and wood house set into the side of the mountain and i love it up here. Cool breezes and no pollution, hobby farm to breed my dogs, chickens and goats. Crappy internet to annoy me every day, all is good.Carcar IMO is the last southern town that is livable over the long term for a westerner that wants the minimum in services without hjaving to drive a long way. It has the last, as you drive south from Cebu, real banks, supermarkets and hardware stores. That being said, i do not actually live in Carcar, i am about 10 minutes outside of town. Carcar can get real hot and smelly with its share of pollution and garbage, so i use it when i need to and if i need something specific, Cebu is an hour away.Anyhow, PM or some how contact me if you want to come on by when you arrive. I can give you my totally biased opinion over a beer or two if you (or anyone is really) interested ;-)))Bill

• Like 5