Do You Live In A Typhoon Area

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not sure if this should go here or not but I found this interesting bit of info from another site ...... to bad it wasn't a bigger picture or more clearer but that's they way it goes ...... very interesting Path of typhoons that crossed the Philippines since 1947 p. 131 in Filipino Heritage: The Making of a Nation (Volume 1 - The Stone Age in the Philippines) April, May, June - Typhoons pass through the Bisayas July, August, September - Typoons pass the Northern Luzon and Batanes October, March - Typhoons pass the Bisayas If 100 typhoons come: 25% hit Batanes 32% Northern Luzon 16%cetnral and Southern Luzon 19% Northern Bisayas 7% Southern Bisayas and Northern Mindanao remaining % to Southern Mindanao post-11-0-91958500-1326000596_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike, interesting statistics although the chart looks like my four year old son got ahold of it.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hahahahaha ....... yea I agree ..... interesting thing to note is that a large amount of the storms look like they turn and head north before hitting the coast of the Philippines ... thank god

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I'm less worried about the typhoons, and more worried about the floods, if that makes any sense. I guess what I'm saying is, living beside the Pacific in Leyte, even without a typhoon, it can rain so much that floods become a concern.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

July, August, September - Typhoons pass the Northern Luzon and Batanes October, March - Typhoons pass the Bisayas If 100 typhoons come: 25% hit Batanes 32% Northern Luzon 16% central and Southern Luzon19% Northern Bisayas 7% Southern Bisayas and Northern Mindanao remaining % to Southern Mindanao That's so very true! We've lived in Sta. Rosa, Laguna for 11 years now in Northern Central Luzon and have almost experienced every typhoon that came through Northern Luzon! Fortunately we haven't experienced any flooding or wind damage to our home in our particular area what so ever, since our area is probably at a higher elevation and homes in our area are built pretty sturdy with tiled roofing materials and most home structures built by the Avida (Ayala) developer are earth quake proof up to 8.0! Most of our county water drainage systems has been revamped preventing flooding in our streets and or in our subdivision communities.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In the event of floods or a davastating hurricane that someday may hit the Hawaiian Islands like Iniki in 1992, our important documents are stored in waterproof containers. An inexpensive version for waterproofing documents, which I am planning to include in a balikbayan box shipment for Bruce Wheatley, are Ziploc one gallon plastic freezer bags. JJR

Bruce
Posted
Posted
In the event of floods or a davastating hurricane that someday may hit the Hawaiian Islands like Iniki in 1992, our important documents are stored in waterproof containers. An inexpensive version for waterproofing documents, which I am planning to include in a balikbayan box shipment for Bruce Wheatley, are Ziploc one gallon plastic freezer bags. JJR
Everything helps! Thanks...As for the storms, a lot has to do with the mind set of the people. Here in the US, we have huricanes in Florida. Some big, most small. When a big one hits.... the people who come from families that have been in the US for many generations ..... get out the chain saws and start cleaning up and preparing a plan to meet with the insurance people and salvaging what they can. The 'newer' members of American society... complain loudly and wait for the government to come and rescue them.In the midwest, then the floods come, some 10' high, it is not unsual to see old women up on the roof waiting for the floods to go so that can get busy cleaning the mud out. While in New Orleans..... they scream that Bush does not like black people and they wait and wait and wait for governmental help. Speaking of New Orleans.. here is a very true story. In South Florida, the power company is FPL. FPL has agreements with power companies all the way up to CANADA! When 'the big one hit' in 1992 with in 1 week, electric trucks from Canada and many states between were here working to fix the downed electric system. FPL has a PLAN.Contrast to the power company in New Orleans... a city that is BELOW the sea level and has levys and dykes around it to keep from flooding. The power company there has NO PLAN. The big one hit there in 2005.... electric all out... some for 1 year. NO outside help because that electric company had no plan...... Most of their trucks were gone in the flood and they had very few work crews. Did the people see this and blame the management / owners of the electric company... no, they blamed Bush and the government. All has to do with the mind set. A welfare system breeds people that expect / demand a hand out. When there is no welfare system (Philippines) the people work together and over come their common problem. I like the mind set of the Pinoys. Floods come, they leave, floods go, they come back and clean up and salvage what they can! I say that in 1 years time, the flooded areas of CDO will be back to business as normal. No complaining that the government was at fault. People working together to fix their common problem.One nice thing about a storm or flood, it that you have WARNING. For those saying that floods and mud slides give no warning... well... here is your warning... FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES COMING! Now that you have been warned.... what is your plan? JJR above has a plan... why don't you? I do.It is all about planing and working in your budget to either avoid the problem or to lessen the impact on your life. In the Philippines, I have 3 ATM cards each for a different account with spares in case there is a card lost or fails. Not 'big money' accounts, but enough to take care of any bumps and if I don't spend it, then it is there for my next trip. A plan.Perhaps if those of you who HAVE been thru a big storm or flood, post what you would have done differently as to lessen the impact on your life. I don't mean flee like a rat. I mean what have you done since then to make sure certain things do not happen again? Higher reinforced wall? high shelving? add a 2nd floor to hold appliances in case of a flood? Found a secure place to park the car / bikes?Buy a chain saw? keep extra rice / food secured? What are you doing differently now after your last storm / flood damage?What can you tell the members here that may spark ideas of their own to help themselves and their neighbors?
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

By the way, most families in Hawaii have stored emergency provisions including canned food, camping gas burners, flashlights, and water containers. For potable water (drinking and cooking), we keep in a closet the recommended two gallons per person per day. For toilet flush, everyone in our condominium complex has at least one bucket to retrieve water from the swimming pool. Every two years, my wife and I donate the canned food to a local food bank and buy new ones. The American Red Cross and similar organizations publish checklists on what you should store for an emergency..We are ready except the last big hurricane (Iniki) was in September, 1992. The roofs of most homes in Kauai were blown away. The state government then passed a new law, similar to Florida, requiring hurricane clips to hold down roofs for all new construction. They also offered tax incentives for older homes to install the clips.JJR

• Like 1