Colds And Flu In The Phils

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is a question that I am wondering about in regards to local cold and flu medicines ....... as I'm not an expert in this fields I leave it up to others more experienced ..... for years in the US and here I have had friends bring over flue and cold medicine for me and it has worked just fine but it could become a problem as I could run out or the pills could expire ........ so I have been looking at some stuff available locally and is as follows .... the first two are what I was taking in the US and the remaining ones are available here in the Phils ..... if any one has any other suggestions please let it fly ......My first concern is that the US medicine is 2 caps per 4 hrs. but the Phils caps are 1 per 4 hrs ..... with almost the same dosage ..... any ideas .... what do you take ..... and don't say t aspirin and call me in the morning ...... or snockered ... cause I don't drink :morning1:U.S. / Walgreens DAYTIME ..... 2 caps every 4 hoursAcetaminophen ............................ 320mg .................. pain reliever/fever reducerDextromethorphan Hbr ................10mg .................... cough suppressantPhenylephrine HCI ....................... 5mg ...................... nasal decongestantU.S. / Walgreens NIGHTTIME ...... 2 caps every 4 hoursAcetaminophen ............................ 320mg .................. pain reliever/fever reducerDextromethorphan Hbr ................ 15mg ................... cough suppressantDoxylamine succinate .................. 6.25mg .................antihistaminePHILIPPINE / Decolsin ....... 1 cap every 4 hoursParacetamol ................................. 325mg ................... pain reliever/fever reducerDextromethorphan Hbr ..................15mg ...................... cough suppressantPhenylpropanolamine HCI ........... 25mg ...................... nasal decongestantPHILIPPINES / Sinutab ...... 1 cap every 4 hoursParacetamol ................................. 500mg ................... pain reliever/fever reducerClorphenamine Maleate ............... 2mg ........................ antihistaminePhenylpropanolamine HCI .......... 20mg ..................... nasal decongestantPHILIPPINES / Decolgen / drowsy ...... 1 cap every 4 hoursParacetamol ……………………... 500 mg .................... pain reliever/fever reducerChlorphenamine Maleate ………. 2 mg ....................... antihistaminePhenylephrine HCI ……………....10mg ...................... nasal decongestantPHILIPPINES / Decolgen / no-drowse ....... 1 cap every 4 hoursParacetamol ……………………. 500 mg .................... pain reliever/fever reducerPhenylephrine HCI …………….. 10mg ....................... nasal decongestantOnly one of these the Decolsin comes close to the US and was recommended by a pharmacist in Mercury Drugs after looking at the ingredients of the US medicine ...... but as I said you only take 1 cap every 4 hrs.The last 3 items are for Sinus reliefWhat'ch think ......

Edited by Mike S

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
My first concern is that the US medicine is 2 caps per 4 hrs. but the Phils caps are 1 per 4 hrs ..... with almost the same dosage ..... any ideas .... what do you take ..... and don't say t aspirin and call me in the morning ...... or snockered ... cause I don't drink
Could be because Filipinos are generally smaller built than a westerner?

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Decolsin is almost the same as Tuseran Forte. 1 cap works wonders for me, I take it as needed for coughs.

Edited by MikeB

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I do not trust local OTC medicines only use imported items.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I take one multivitamin tablet every day.When I feel something coming on, I start taking 4 multivitamin tablets a day, to feed my immune system.I get over any virus very quickly.When feeling unwell, other things that hep your immune system cope are- at least 9 hours sleep- No alcohol- At least 1 hour exercise every day.Regards: Jim

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

DO THE MATH.....Ok boys.... what everybody is forgetting is that there MUST be a base line some where. Ever wonder why pills are different sizes and strengths? Some are in micrograms, milligrams, and a few in grams? It is that base line that all medications are formulated from (adult). Then the strength is raised or lowerd per dose. A pill in GRAMS is actually a low strength medication that MUST be used in a higher dose to get the proper effect. A medication measured in MICROGRAMS is actually a very strong medication and delivered in a LOWER dose, because it does the job at that low dose. Milligrams are in the middle. Some are as little as 2.5 milligrams (heart / BP meds) some as much as 500 milligrams (antibiotics) depending on how much actual medication is needed per dose to get the desired effect. The base line is ..... a male patient, 155 pounds, 25 yrs old. All (adult) meds are titrated in strength to meet that patients needs. Formulas are set to stay UNDER an average side effect or over dose threshold. Once given a dose of meds, blood is taken at 5 min intervals to see how long it takes to get into the blood stream, how long to get to the max concentration and how long it takes to be metabolized out (liver's job) and the next dose taken.This is why we often hear about the elderly being 'over medicated' in that their livers are not as funtional as the younger population and they build up a higher consentration in their systems (mixing of multiple medications is a different topic)The average white or black patient often weighs a lot more than that 155 pounds, but on average the doses work ok. But if the patient weighs less than that 155, many times far less, they actually may be getting a dosing schedule that puts them at a much higher risk for an over dose. Keep in mind that an over dose is most likely NOT the tv drama stuff, but maybe you become sleepy or jittery.Patients also have the mentality that if 1 or 2 works... 4 or 12 will work better..... Not usually good logic. So the difference between the Kano 1 dose or 2 caps in 4 hrs vs the Pinoy dose of 1 cap every 4 hrs may be the result of a (average) lower body weight issue. Remembering it is easier for a person of less weight to over dose than a person of weight greater than that magical 155 pounds. So they write instructions to lessen the chance.We are all individuals and have different livers and body weights. The printed instructions are simply a GUIDE. Try it and see if it works well or not. Change the dose up or down, based on YOUR needs. What works for you may be different that your Pinay wife....Don't over analyse......

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks folks for your input .... some really good information there ...... MikeB .... that stuff even looks closer in dosage to the Walgreens DaytimeBruce ..... that is kinda what I thought or was hoping for anyway ..... and yea I would make at least 2 Filipinos ..... so I will try caps x2 and see how it works