Living in Baguio

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Garpo - Shopping is okay but not the equivalent of Manila or Cebu City - Mandaue City urban areas. No big Ayala competition for SM. That said, shopping, in general, is pretty good. Just not the high end stuff. One big SM mall, open air with a large permanent tent for a roof, because, as we all know (wink) you don't need air conditioning here except for those rare heat waves that bust 85F. Normally that's as warm as it gets. Cooler mostly. Winter at night, a chunk cooler. Not ice or frost on the grass cooler, but get a jacket and pull a blanket out kind of cooler. For us Kanos that is. For many lowland Filipinos, it is the ice age all over. My wife, entranced with the idea of snows, none the less bemoans even a chilly evening or early morning breeze. She walks around the house in her heavy robe and swaddled in a blanket on top of that. The one thing she treasures during the "cold snaps" are toe socks, because no Filipino can live without flip flops. (Joke lang). Other shopping is of local variety, a larger older semi-mall called Center Mall, Tiong San department store, Puerto Vaga and so forth. Lots o' Starbucks and some pretty good local coffee too, I switched to the local stuff and I'm a bit of coffee snob, for what's its worth. But really good shopping with choices of higher quality goods means the long ass bus ride to Manila. Sorry to report no Dominoes Pizza but feel free to open a franchise. I loves the pizza too but I am more of a homemade pizza assembler usually. My food report on places to eat includes a short list of the chain pizzas - Shakey's (their hand tossed is pretty decent - but greasy), Yellow Cab - my favorite, Pizza Hut - my better half's choice. Local spots include Red Orange, Rio's, Volante's and a few others. All are different but usually edible. No deep dish pizza, though Shakey's has a variant that is closer to the thicker pie. I'm a thin crust guy so I don't hunt the bread with sauce places so much.

Michael - Well, you might save some money on the AC but the rents are slightly higher due to the presence of many college students. It is definitely crowded here, but the kids come and go. Finding a good place in the 6 to 8 thousand range is possible. But most the guy's I know are dropping closer to 10k and up depending on how big a place you want. Check the water supply, since if you have to buy it by the truck that will double or triple your water costs. City water is not expensive, but normally you fill your apartments tank (each apartment has their own) with it and use from there since city water is only on two or three times a week. Zero a/c required here. The status symbol for them that find one is a fire place. A/C is for your car (should you want to join the daily grid lock here) when you go down the mountain for a trip. One hour to get to La Union and enjoy the ocean and traditional Filipino temperature range. A five thouand foot drop to sea level which makes an interestingly twisty drive down and a much slower trip back up. A number of hospitals ranging from pretty good (but not quite US standard accomodations) to traditional Filipino standard. I've checked them out more intimately than I wanted to and am still alive, so they can't be that bad. Pretty decent ambublance service here, my hats off to them and they are usually free in an emergency. Depends on if you get the public or the commercial ambulance serivice. I actually do not want to move away from here partially because of the quality of medical service available here.

Tatoosh,Thanks for all the good information about Bagiuo. I am fairly certain I am going to be living there by end of 2012. I have not been there but my girlfriend went to school there and has family there, so combined with the natural appeal, it seems like a good place to set up shop for my first couple of years while we do more visits to other places. I guess the downside might be the travel time to a major airport but I can live with it.Do you have any ideas on good locations to look for a rental house? I would like to have a place with 3 bedrooms, room for a small dog and somewhat secure of course.

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted
Thanks for all the good information about Bagiuo. I am fairly certain I am going to be living there by end of 2012. I have not been there but my girlfriend went to school there and has family there, so combined with the natural appeal, it seems like a good place to set up shop for my first couple of years while we do more visits to other places. I guess the downside might be the travel time to a major airport but I can live with it. Do you have any ideas on good locations to look for a rental house? I would like to have a place with 3 bedrooms, room for a small dog and somewhat secure of course.
Sorry I missed this question. Finding such a place isn't all that hard, depends on what you have to spend and where you want to live. The dog will only be a problem in finding a place to keep him while you find an apartment. But I think he may have to be in quarantine for awhile. If that is true, then you can use that time to find your apartment. Our manager allows for small dogs, so it isn't uncommon. The best way to find a place is to visit and look around. Buy a copy of the Midland Courier (local weekly newspaper) which comes out on Sunday and then rent a car and driver for the day. Do some hunting. Best if you were here earlier in the week to look around and get to know areas and have a better idea of where different places were. Lastly, this is the Philippines. Both stray and domestic dogs run loose. A lot of them. Rabies is not unheard of here at all. You will need to have your dog on a leash and keep him/her safe, don't let it run loose.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Thanks for all the good information about Bagiuo. I am fairly certain I am going to be living there by end of 2012. I have not been there but my girlfriend went to school there and has family there, so combined with the natural appeal, it seems like a good place to set up shop for my first couple of years while we do more visits to other places. I guess the downside might be the travel time to a major airport but I can live with it. Do you have any ideas on good locations to look for a rental house? I would like to have a place with 3 bedrooms, room for a small dog and somewhat secure of course.
Sorry I missed this question. Finding such a place isn't all that hard, depends on what you have to spend and where you want to live. The dog will only be a problem in finding a place to keep him while you find an apartment. But I think he may have to be in quarantine for awhile. If that is true, then you can use that time to find your apartment. Our manager allows for small dogs, so it isn't uncommon.The best way to find a place is to visit and look around. Buy a copy of the Midland Courier (local weekly newspaper) which comes out on Sunday and then rent a car and driver for the day. Do some hunting. Best if you were here earlier in the week to look around and get to know areas and have a better idea of where different places were. Lastly, this is the Philippines. Both stray and domestic dogs run loose. A lot of them. Rabies is not unheard of here at all. You will need to have your dog on a leash and keep him/her safe, don't let it run loose.
Thanks Tatoosh!I don't have a dog but I would like to get one after I get settled. The facts you stated (strays, rabies, etc.) are one of the reasons why I want to find a house with a nice high fence. As far as finding a place, we have people to help but I am interested in finding out about certain areas that might be more desirable and secure for an expat.I'm surprised that I don't see more information posted about Baguio, as it seems there must be many expats there???

• 3 weeks later...
Sissy
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone!I am very curious as well! We are thinking about re-locating our young family of four and I have been searching for a place that sounds good to live. Cheaper cost of living than Cebu etc..Cooler temp but driving distance to a beach is ideal!! Plus we have a friend in Santa Lucia so I think it's not far to visit. But we need to have good schools available for our boys that will be starting school soon. Can anyone Recommend a place to look just outside of the city? -thanks!

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

In terms of schools you are in luck. Baguio City was the hub of education for a long time in the Philippines and has a tradition of education that still lingers. Not all schools are great though. In general, the public schools are much better than those found in most province areas, though lacking in infrastructure support like all the schools here. Private schools are good to very good but cost a bit more. Tuition prices are estimates.St Louis University (elementary/high school)is the most renowned but its standards are slipping. Tuition: 20k pesos or so per semester.University of the Cordillera (elementary/high school) is good, better than St Louis these days. Tuition: 20k pesos or so per semesterAcadamie de Sophia, (elementary) very very good, equivalent to US schools (and my top recommendation*). Tuition: 25k pesos per semesterBrent (elementary/high school) excellent international but very very expensive, thousands of dollars per semester.*Acadamie de Sophia limits class size very strictly and new students have to take an entrance test. There are only so many spots. Students will develop good English language skills and they assign real homework and reading assignments (age/class level appropriate).There are some other good elementary schools around but those are the best known that I have some experience with or know friends with children attending.

Edited by Tatoosh

Sissy
Posted
Posted

Thanks Tatoosh! This is very helpful. We just need to plan a visit to check out housing. Anyone know approximately how long of a drive it is to a beach for swimming? I can't seem to find any clear info online..

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

The beach is about an hour or less down the mountain. It is a five thousand foot drop from Baguio City to La Union, so expect a very curvy road. Once down to the coast can head a bit north to the various resorts and there are surfing beaches too, but I can't tell you exactly where. There are beaches to the south too, but most of the development I know about is north.A second option is going to the Palm Grove resort down Asin Road, about 30 minutes, but no beach, it is nestled in the mountains. They have well maintained swimming and wading pools, a BBQ area with covered tables, and even a pretty nice jacuzzi, though that is a bit expensive. But a very nice way to end an afternoon!Finding a good place to live is simply a matter of how much you want to pay and happening into the right place. A copy of the Midland Courier that comes out on Sunday is essential. A small two or three bedroom will cost you around 10,000 pesos though cheaper ones are around. Okay homes start in the 25,000-30,000 range and sprint up price wise to the 100,000 range.

A nice condo (rented, not bought) will likely be in the 30,000 to 40,000 range.Don't let my pricing scare you. There are cheaper places if you hunt them. I have a fairly nice 3 story, 3 bedroom (4 if you count the loft area) apartment with covered parking that costs 15,000 pesos a month. Slightly smaller 3 bedrooms in my complex go for 10,000 pesos a month. Water is 500 pesos if you are hooked to the city water (you still need a tank because it is on 2 or 3 days a week only) but if not, the cost of water will go up since you have to buy your water from a truck, figure 1200 pesos a month. Cost is 26 to 35 pesos per "drum" and most tanks are around 10 drums in volume. The smaller filtered, drinking water (approximately 5 gallon) that come in blue water containers are 25 to 40 pesos each if you provide the blue container, depending on if it is delivered or you buy at the their store.You won't need an air conditioning, so that cost disappears in this area. You may need a heater for cold nights in the winter. Electricity is expensive in the Philippines but safer than a propane heater. Food-wise, fish is more expensive, vegetable less expensive. Always some sort of trade off, right? Luzon, and Baguio City in particular, tends toward the conservative side. People are friendly but not to the same degree as say ... Cebu. But if you live in Luzon, you know about that already.

• Like 3

Sissy
Posted
Posted

That is some great insight! I really appreciate all of the info. We are looking forward to making the journey! :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Tatoosh,Thanks for all the good information about Bagiuo. I am fairly certain I am going to be living there by end of 2012.

I have not been there but my girlfriend went to school there and has family there, so combined with the natural appeal, i

OnMyWay, you recently went there, and showed us some photos from the bus trip.

could you share w/us any other observations?  

• 2 months later...
damian5000
Posted
Posted

Hello All,

Sorry to revive an ancient thread... I just came across it and saw the rental prices here 10,000 pesos on the low end? How is that possible? From what I understand half the population are students... How can a student or your average Filipino afford $800+ a month? I could find a decent apartment in any major city in USA for $800 a month....I currently live in Thailand and pay $50 a month for a house on a big mango farm. Nice houses in major cities can easily be had from $150-300....