Living in Baguio

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I,m not sure about the low end being 10,000 peso a month but $800 is around 32,000 pesos.      I,m sure some one could find cheaper than 10,000 pesos a month if they looked

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Do they still have an airport in Baguio or have they closed it? I recall it was a short, scary runway.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Do they still have an airport in Baguio or have they closed it? I recall it was a short, scary runway.

I heard that it had closed.  I thought it was a neat little airport when we were there in 1999.  What surprised my wife was how there were many houses rather close to the side of the runway.  She said that when she was a kid, you just had the airport and an inn on Loakan Road.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Hello All,

Sorry to revive an ancient thread... I just came across it and saw the rental prices here 10,000 pesos on the low end? How is that possible? From what I understand half the population are students... How can a student or your average Filipino afford $800+ a month? I could find a decent apartment in any major city in USA for $800 a month....I currently live in Thailand and pay $50 a month for a house on a big mango farm. Nice houses in major cities can easily be had from $150-300....

I was in Baguio a few weeks ago looking at apartments to rent. I would call 4000 pesos the low end.

There is a weekly newspaper in Baguio called the Midland Courier which comes out on Sunday. It has a full page for rentals in the classified section.

Here are a few listings.

2 story townhouse, 2 BR, 2 CR with garage quiet neighborhood no water problem. 8,000 pesos/month

Studio type apt, good for 2 persons, 1,800/2,600 pesos.

3 BR, 2 CR, with terrace fully furnished, nice interior with parqueted floor, 13,000 pesos/month.

I looked at 8 apartments all less than 7,500 found either through sulit or the classified ads. There was only one 2BR in the bunch that I would have considered renting, it was 7,500 pesos/month.

I ended up finding a new 2BR 36-40sqm apartment with a nice steel security door and nice wood cabinets in the kitchen for 5000 pesos/month ($125 USD). Only drawback is that it is 90 steps down a path from the barangay road. This was found through a friend of my girlfriend who lives in Baguio.

IMHO you should be able to find a very nice condo or home for $300-$500 USD/month, 12,000 - 20,000 pesos/month.

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The airport is closed. On my first visit to Baguio last year the taxi driver took a short cut, driving across the airport runway!

• Like 3

damian5000
Posted
Posted

excellent... actually I would be looking for a studio of some sort. great to know they can be had in the 5000 range.

and you know what the real problem was.... I was converting Mexican pesos. hahahahaha. I was like holy crap, $800 (10k Mex p) for a cheap apt? haha.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

excellent... actually I would be looking for a studio of some sort. great to know they can be had in the 5000 range. and you know what the real problem was.... I was converting Mexican pesos. hahahahaha. I was like holy crap, $800 (10k Mex p) for a cheap apt? haha.

If you look online you probably will see prices like that...  hehe!  Advertising for the 'Kanos!  Check out the online prices on places like Craiglist for apartments and you will have think you are in a different country!

:mocking:

• 5 months later...
Allison Esmonde
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone!I am very curious as well! We are thinking about re-locating our young family of four and I have been searching for a place that sounds good to live. Cheaper cost of living than Cebu etc..Cooler temp but driving distance to a beach is ideal!! Plus we have a friend in Santa Lucia so I think it's not far to visit. But we need to have good schools available for our boys that will be starting school soon. Can anyone Recommend a place to look just outside of the city? -thanks!

Hi Sissy,  I read your post above about moving to Bagiuo with your small children.  My family are considering the same more and I have 3 children 6 yrs and under.  Have you made the move?  and if so how have you found it?  I have lived in Thailand for 2 years prior to this, but the Philipines scare me as there is alot of talk about kidnapping of foreigners etc?  is it safe to live there?  also how have you found the schools?  I am grateful to this forum as information on the internet about Baguio is very hard to find and the recommendations Tatoosh gave you inregards to schooling was great. 

• 2 months later...
gaga4
Posted
Posted

Interesting post here about Baguio. I'll throw in my 2 cents. (Btw, earthdome, I sent you an email). My only experience with Baguio is visiting for a day either when passing thru going to the Ilocos from Manila or on the way back.

Being semi retired, we are considering spending part of the time in the Philippines. I would consider getting a place in Baguio mainly for the 'cooler' weather. I would say it avarages 5-15 deg cooler than the low-lands. The coolest being at night and early morning. Camp John Hay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hay_Air_Base) is in Baguio. It was a US Military R&R facility one time and was turned over the Philippines. Its still a very nice place. Most of what I know about Baguio is what someone who visits for a short time knows.

I would definitely be interested in knowing what its like living there from the view point of and expat or foreigner.

Btw, I posted this in another thread but if you drive from Manila, make sure to stop by SOUL Cafe in Rosario, La Union. I think you will like any food they serve from their menu. Also, check out Natalna Restaurant in Pagudpud, La Union (not Ilocos Norte). A small, open air hut restaurant on the beach that serves great native food. Its an hour from Baguio.

• Like 2

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Btw, I think someone asked if there are flights to Baguio from Manila. And that the airport is now closed.

From what remember, flights going to Baguio have not always been the safest, Reports always seem to say that flying through the mountain province gets turbulent. You might want to research some background on this.

btw, here's a website worth bookmarking messages to US Citizens from the embassy: http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha008.html