Living in Baguio

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

Thanks again for all this info! Baguio is looking really good to me!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We spent last week in Baguio and I really enjoyed the weather.  Mid 70's, low humidity, mid 50's at night.  We are considering a move there in a few years.  I might need to spend a week there during the rainy season to see if that changes my thinking!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

We spent last week in Baguio and I really enjoyed the weather.  Mid 70's, low humidity, mid 50's at night.  We are considering a move there in a few years.  I might need to spend a week there during the rainy season to see if that changes my thinking!

One positive thing about the rainy season is Baguio is that there are not many tourists so there isn't much traffic.

Don't all areas of the Philippines have a month or longer rainy season?

The rainy season is also a good time to plan vacations to other places.

I only recall one storm last summer which resulted in flooding or landslides in the Baguio area.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

What about the snow:

http://www.firstpost.com/topic/issue/global-warming-snow-in-baguio-city-philippines-video-DnqQoaJv8aE-53094-5.html

It snowed last Feb 13 and again yesterday. The news showed vegetable crops covered in snow.

That video from Feb 13 was a hoax and there was no snow where I live in Baguio in the last week.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

What about the snow:

http://www.firstpost.com/topic/issue/global-warming-snow-in-baguio-city-philippines-video-DnqQoaJv8aE-53094-5.html

It snowed last Feb 13 and again yesterday. The news showed vegetable crops covered in snow.

I'm  99.99999999% certain that video is not Baguio City and that it has not snowed in Baguio City Philippines this year.  Our family (or Earthdome) certainly will let us know if it snows and Facebook will be filled with the photos!

It did snow some in the Vietnam mountains about a month ago but Baguio has never been close to freezing.  According to Wiki the record low in Baguio is 6.3 degrees Celsius on January 18, 1961.

We went up to about 7000 feet on nearby Santo Tomas mountain and it seems like there is potential for snow up that high, but don't think it has.  It was still nice and warm up there and this is "winter".

Edit:  My two girls have never seen snow and most of their family has not either.  They would go crazy with joy if it ever snows in Baguio!  In fact, they would probably insist that we immediately drive north to see the snow, and I imagine that half the population of Manila would take the day off and do the same!  Can you imagine the accidents with all the Filipinos trying to drive on snow and ice for the first time!   :hystery:  The destruction might be worse than Yolanda!  :bash:

Edited by OnMyWay

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

LOL I live in West Virginia. Right now it's something like 3* (which is admittedly a rarity, but it does get cold here), the roads have a nice layer of ice, and I'm certain I could exist for the rest of my days without seeing snow. :D

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
the roads have a nice layer of ice, and I'm certain I could exist for the rest of my days without seeing snow

Well does frost count hehe? They had a bout of frost there yesterday on all the vegetables so it might feel like yo brought the cold with you if you settle in Baguio  :lol:

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

LOL I could live with a day or two of frost. :)

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

We've been having a cold spell.  First time I've heard of frost quakes and polar vortex.

• Like 1