Jus Sanguinis (Right Of Blood)

Beachboy
Posted
Posted
. i was born way before 1986.... as a natural born citicezen of the Philippines

Hey gapotwo .. I commented on your "adventure" with BI because I have a friend who had a similar experience a few years ago. She was born in the Phils 1975, mother Filipina, father Americano. When she was three they moved to California. She grew up believing she had both Philippines and American citizenship, because that's what her parents understood. In 2005 she's 30 years old and wants to buy a house in Manila ... wrong move .. return to Go do not collect $200 ... haha. She can't buy a house because she's not Philippine citizen according to the powers that be in Manila.

They explained it this way. Because only one of her parents is Filipino, she takes the citizenship of her father -- i.e. US citizen until the age of 21. At that time she may become a dual national if she makes a declaration of Philippine citizenship according to the provisions in the Constitution of 1935. She never made the declaration so she forfeited her right to Philippine citizenship. She never made the declaration because she never knew she was supposed to. :angry:

Long story short a lawyer was called in ... money was paid .. and she was allowed to make her declaration. Apparently case law is fuzzy about a statute of limitations ... so she got her house.

Since you inherited property, I can see how you might want to go ballistic when you were denied. Glad everything worked out ... (btw US immigration is just as crazy).

• Like 2

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Beachboy, i feel for your friends adventure. what i was told at the Philippine Embassy in Los Angeles is that i never was a Philippine citizen, even if i was born there. my mother was a philippine citizen and my father american citizen at my birth. Obviosly they dont know what they are talking about. The person i talked to also suggested that i marry a filipina so i could live there. all it took for me was my attorny to review and present my case, a visit to Immigration in Manila and it was done the same day. Imagine owning lots of property in the philippines but not being able to live there. Ive learned a lesson in my adventures with Philippine law, ....Get it directly from the horses mouth, or have your attorny do it for you, tanks ej.

• Like 3