13A Visa - & Living Out Of The Country Question

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I am about to get a 13a permanent resident visa or so I hope. Now the question for me is what if I move back to the States for a few years, will the 13a be revoked or will I be unable to renew it (or the ACR-I) card that goes with it? And the annual reporting requirement, what to do if you are not in the Philippines when that occurs in January? This isn't a pressing situation, but my wife and I expect to return to the States for a few years so she can work in her field there and get some specialized post-grad training. Likely for 3 or 4 years in the States. After that we hope to come back to Baguio City in the Philippines. I am hesitant to ask these questions at the BOI office while my visa is still in the process. They may just decide I don't need it. I will be in the Philippines for at least two more years while my wife finishes her course work here and does her thesis. I really want to keep the 13a and enjoy living in the Philippines long term down the road. Anyone out there with a 13a that has moved out of the Philippines for a significant period of time?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

As far as I know you will run into a problem with the annual registration ...... if you were 65 or older you could have a designee do it for you and just tell them you were sick .... at 65 you do not have to appear in person any more ..... not real sure about if you would loose your 13a status or not also keep in mind that you have to refile your 13a in I believe 4-5 years .... the paper work that is .... so you would have to be here in person to do that ...... sorry I can't help much

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info. I realize most will not run into this and I'll deal with it when the time comes in a few years. I expect to visit the Philippines occasionally so maybe I can take care of it then. If not, I'll just have to go after it again when we return.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the info. I realize most will not run into this and I'll deal with it when the time comes in a few years. I expect to visit the Philippines occasionally so maybe I can take care of it then. If not, I'll just have to go after it again when we return.
I had thought long and hard about getting a 13A as at least a good form of id while in country, and I have been told it is much easier from here in the states, but with the Balikbayan program I found no need, so if you are going to only stay a year at a time on those returns, then probably best to apply again if and when you decide to move back full time. What do I mean by no need, as long as we leave once a year then we get another year when we return, so once your wife is out of the country at least a year the first time, then you will stay visa free for a year at a time upon return and the BI and everyone treat us very well upon entry, so I am not sure what advantage a 13A might have over a BB? Any thoughts anyone?

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Well, I do think for frequent travelers, the balikbayan visa works out best and is the least costly, given that you are traveling annually anyway. My intention is to live full time in the Philippines when circumstances permit. But my wife's education and career won't allow that for the ... hmm ... "medium term" is how I suppose I look at it. But I've been in the Philippines for almost 5 years now and a 13a is definitely cheaper than the tourist visa for long stay. We will be back in the USA for 3 to 5 years and I expect to visit the Philippines at least twice during that period. Other benefits for those that want them with the 13a is you can work in the country if you want and you can attend school. I might like to take some courses for fun. And employment in most fields not forbidden to foreigners is also allowed, unlikely for me as I'm a graduate of the Maynard G Krebs aversion therapy program. (For you guys and gals under the age of 60 or so - Maynard G Krebs was a character on the Dobie Gillis show who's motto was, "What ... me work?" All that said, I still think the balikbayan visa is a very sweet deal providing your wife travels with you when you enter the Philippines and you won't be entering or leaving by yourself. If, however, you might enter on your own, the balikbayan deal is off the board. So sweet or not, it's tourist or SRRV or something else in the visa choices at that point. Oh, yeah ... I have heard of someone getting the stamp without the wife along. But that is not in the rule book so if they don't offer it and you ask for it, they will likely say no. And I heard another guy who got one that way and when he and his wife were leaving immigration noticed they did not come into the country together, cancelled his balikbayan and he had to pay a pretty hefty sum to cover back charges on a tourist visa. Ouch!

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Tat ....... as you say you are coming back to the Phils a coupe of times a year ...... just make one of those times between Jan 1 and Feb 29th each year and simply renew the card yourself ..... you don't have to show anything except your card and sometimes they ask for last years receipt ...... you don't even have to produce your passport ...... so i don't know how they would know you were out of the country ....... (this is in Cebu now ..... not sure about where you are) .......Hummmmmm .... just thought of something ..... you would have to show your passport at the airport to be stamped and your card to allow you to enter with out paying for a visa ..... not sure what that would do ...... damn .... guess I better shut up as I'm not sure just what would happen ........post-11-0-16149800-1326596524_thumb.jpg

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I have a 13a and recently moved back to the US. Before I left, I asked BI these same questions. I was told that I could be out of the RP for up to 1 year without losing my 13a. If I was out of the country for the annual reporting period I would need to report when I returned to the RP. I've been out of the RP for over a year now and am making my first trip back this March. I'm a bit concerned about how it will be handled when I enter and leave. I'll post an update after my march trip.

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the insight, The Mason. Let us know what happens when you return after being out over a year. I will only make it back after a couple of years the first time and then maybe a year apart after that. So I may lose the 13a and will have to go through the process again. What a pain! Oh well, so it goes.

• 3 weeks later...
Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
I have a 13a and recently moved back to the US. Before I left, I asked BI these same questions. I was told that I could be out of the RP for up to 1 year without losing my 13a. If I was out of the country for the annual reporting period I would need to report when I returned to the RP.I've been out of the RP for over a year now and am making my first trip back this March. I'm a bit concerned about how it will be handled when I enter and leave. I'll post an update after my march trip.
Ditto for me, I will be re-entering in June and this time, no plans at all to leave, hence the value of a 13A for me. I should say that when I got my 13A in person at the San Francisco Philippine Consulate, I told them I would likley need to leave for a period before I settled in and they told me the 1 year rule, but said they are flexible. I equated it to the same thing my wife would experience when she returned to the US on a green card status, after having been out of country for a year plus. The intent is to clear out people that may no longer maintain the original status that was required to get the 13A... ie: married to the same wife, invitation letter from the wife etc. I did mention these same concerns to a guy in Carcar that claimed that he had been out over a year and when he returned, nobody really said anything about that aspect of it, only he had to pay the expected "late registration" penalty for not doing so in the first couple calendar months as is required. Of course, as with anything, you never know, but since it appears TheMason may be testing the waters for us all in March. I will be anxiously awaiting word on how it went. My only plan is as usual, appear right away at the BOI, respectfully dressed and behavior on my best for the joyous occasion. I can only say that I am bringing along some documentation that will support my "ties to the community", my wife, the same one that originally signed the invitation letter in support of my application (probably good if they are one in the same me thinks :hystery: ) All in case I need to plead my case.... oh, and php too. :lol:

• 3 months later...
TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a 13a and recently moved back to the US. Before I left, I asked BI these same questions. I was told that I could be out of the RP for up to 1 year without losing my 13a. If I was out of the country for the annual reporting period I would need to report when I returned to the RP. I've been out of the RP for over a year now and am making my first trip back this March. I'm a bit concerned about how it will be handled when I enter and leave. I'll post an update after my march trip.

I made my trip back to Manila in March-April and was given a tourist stamp when I arrived. I did not offer my ACR card to immigration or mention the 13a visa in my passport, and they did not ask. It was all routine and I did not have to pay the 13a exit fees when I left. I did not go to BOI for the annual report. I made 2 entries and exits from teh Philippines on this trip and was given the standard tourist stamp both times.

Edited by TheMason
  • Like 1