How Many Of You Are True Friends To Others?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

To go along with THIS TOPIC I have to wonder how many of you have been a true friend to others? I know I have tried hard to be but often did not succeed, yet I have donated money to those who have helped me along the way and given, yes not loaned money to those who I felt deserved it, and really needed it, yet I am sure I have been taken advantage of many times because when it came time for some of those supposed friends to do something for me or even give me the benefit of the doubt, they often were not there. Lots of people in this world have their hands out, yet few will return the favors if given the chance, but those that do are true friends. So all, just because others do not help you, does that mean we should not at least continue to try to help others? Have you tried to help others and maybe gotten burnt? Did you give up on others once burnt? It is so weird to me how many of us go above and beyond trying to help some and then they turn on us in the end.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have a rule of thumb that if we help someone by giving be it family friends or whatever we do so without obligation or expectation.

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
My wife and I have a rule of thumb that if we help someone by giving be it family friends or whatever we do so without obligation or expectation.
But you didn't mention a number! With me, it ran into the millions of pesos over the years, but with obligations and expectations and didn't see a penny back or not even a thank you! Now do you see why we moved far away from our extended family and relatives and none lives with us! We are now much happy campers to this day because of it, the distance I mean! And that's why I made a comment from Lee's other post!If a man or a woman has more true friends than they can count on their fingers, then they are truly blessed IMO. :thumbsup: I'm not blessed! :( :why-me: But we're still Happy Campers though! :mocking: Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Candyman
Posted
Posted
To go along with THIS TOPIC I have to wonder how many of you have been a true friend to others? I know I have tried hard to be but often did not succeed, yet I have donated money to those who have helped me along the way and given, yes not loaned money to those who I felt deserved it, and really needed it, yet I am sure I have been taken advantage of many times because when it came time for some of those supposed friends to do something for me or even give me the benefit of the doubt, they often were not there. Lots of people in this world have their hands out, yet few will return the favors if given the chance, but those that do are true friends. So all, just because others do not help you, does that mean we should not at least continue to try to help others? Have you tried to help others and maybe gotten burnt? Did you give up on others once burnt? It is so weird to me how many of us go above and beyond trying to help some and then they turn on us in the end.
This is a life story, not just restricted to the Philippines ! I have always been fairly generous to everyone I regarded as a friend, and often gave, whatever, be it goods, money, support, or all manner of things friends are supposed to do for one another, without restriction, and without expecting anything in return. I suppose this attitude has attracted a lot of "users' along the way. So be it. Often times, I have lent money, or something in the past, and never gotten it back, or had goods put on consigment, from supposedly "reputable" merchants, only to see it and any funds from it disappear forever. In fact, many so called friends, once I have loaned them something have actively avoided me like the plague, rather than just say good day, and continue as friends. When this happens, I just write it, and them off ! It is probably cheaper for me in the long run.It does get disheartening, that those you think of as friends, turn out to be just fair weather friends, and as soon as you yourself, need some help in some form, they are conspicuous by their absence ! That is just the way it is ! The only one you can really rely on, is yourself ! I still help out anyone, if asked, and I would only ever do a good turn, for someone, and never a bad turn, but I know, not everyone feels the same way as i do, and would rather be friends with someone for what THEY can get out of the relationship, rather than be friends for the sake of friends. I treat everyone the same no matter what their station in life, from the Prime Minister to the Queen, or a Bargirl, or a night soil carter, they are all the same, and i treat everyone with respect,.................... that is until they really piss me off ! Then, I just have no further contact with these sorts at all,................. I just do not need the stress !I am now in my twilight years, and I don't think anything much is going to change now. I have known, thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of people throughout my life, and many of them I hae called friends at some stage or other. Now looking back on my life, I can safely say, that I can count the number of "True Friends", on the fingers of both hands.Material possesions mean nothing. True friendship is the real gift.
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I suppose I am more of a cynic than some. I place 'true friend' and 'soul mate' in the same class of fairy tale.I have some very good friends who will do activities with me. I have others who will listen when I need an ear. I have others who will part with their hard earned money when they see me in need. Others will give valuable advice or instruction. Etc etc. To have one 'true friend' who is the knight in shining armor who sees to my every need is pure bullsh&t and to be honest, I would not want someone that close that I would feel suffocated by their attention to every detail of my life.Okay, this is starting to sound like a rant but I have had many people, throughout my life who want to be my 'true friend' or my 'soul mate' and in each case I have noted they become very possessive of my time and very jealous when I want to spend time with other friends, and very domineering when I do not agree with them. Hence my strong opinions and the reasons why I prefer many friends who have their strengths in different areas.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I guess it depends on what anyone expects, is giving money or helping someone meant to mean a life time of companionship or indebted for ever?Life is an ever changing story so what might be the way it is now may not be in 3 years time,people grow, move,change so by maybe once being a friend in a certain way now suits both parties It may not in the future.It may not mean that anyone used anyone at all,who knows those same people may not be in a situation to help you out and in reality it was not expected in the beginning; I bet so why should it be further down the track.
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I might just add,not one hundred percent sure if helping others is really reflected in how you are liked but,post-1-0-22112600-1326460635_thumb.gif :hystery: :hystery:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I might just add,not one hundred percent sure if helping others is really reflected in how you are liked but,post-1-0-22112600-1326460635_thumb.gif :D :hystery:
I know you must have added to that because there is not enough people in the world who like me that much. :nudie: You are an evil man sir Tom. :)