A Shooting And Two Robberys Of Foreigners In Cebu In One Day

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

In both cases they were carrying bags,As I have said before, never ever carry a bag in the street for any reason what so ever, If you are carrying a bag, make sure there are no valuables inside such as passport or cash.If you don't make yourself a target, you are unlikely to become one!!!!!!!!!!Regards: Jim

• Like 4

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
In both cases they were carrying bags,As I have said before, never ever carry a bag in the street for any reason what so ever, If you are carrying a bag, make sure there are no valuables inside such as passport or cash.If you don't make yourself a target, you are unlikely to become one!!!!!!!!!!Regards: Jim
So it would seem that women should not carry their pocketbook, bag, purse or whatever they call it either. :cheersty:

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
The only bag I have ever carried there was my gym bag....if a thief tried to take it, I would glady give it up, my life isn't worth my sweaty boxers :cheersty: Any other time, I only carry what fits in my pockets, and then I don't carry anything bulky in pockets that would draw attention, and I always have my wallet in my front pocket.

• 2 months later...
mofungo
Posted
Posted
In both cases they were carrying bags, As I have said before, never ever carry a bag in the street for any reason what so ever, If you are carrying a bag, make sure there are no valuables inside such as passport or cash.
Yikes, how do you travel if you can't carry a bag? I mean going from A to B on vacation I have my camera, water bottle, windbreaker etc. where to put it all? Do women carry shoulder bags and purses in the Philippines?, serious question.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
In both cases they were carrying bags, As I have said before, never ever carry a bag in the street for any reason what so ever, If you are carrying a bag, make sure there are no valuables inside such as passport or cash.
Yikes, how do you travel if you can't carry a bag? I mean going from A to B on vacation I have my camera, water bottle, windbreaker etc. where to put it all? Do women carry shoulder bags and purses in the Philippines?, serious question.
When I am out doors filming, I always have some one with me because I can't see what is happening around me when I am concentrating on what is in the view finder. So my suggestion is you only carry your camera when you will be with others. Water bottle will be safe and you can leave your wind breaker in your home country.Don't talk or text on your phone while walking in the street, keep your valuables hidden, do not flash your cash. In otherwords, don't make your self a target. Then you are unlikely to become one.Practically no Filipinas carry handbags and/or purses.In answer to your other post today. In 17 years, I have never been robbed or mugged. And, I wander around at all time of the night and day by myself. I will go drinking in the bars on Mango Avenue then walk to my accommodation in Downtown Cebu City in the early hours of the morning.But I was pick pocketed once. The one time I was pick pocketed, I could feel the womans hand in my pocket and I am laughing to myself at the time thinking there is nothing in that pocket. When I got to the shops, I realised that I had P700 in that pocket. Never mind, that was my stupidity because I could have stopped it happening at the time. I do know of many foreigners who have been pick pocketed on jeepneys in Cebu City. Two of my sister in laws have also had neck laces snatched in Cebu City. Again, don't make your self a target and you are unlikely to become one. My sister in laws only lost one necklace each before they learned their lesson. No more necklaces showing on naked necks. They come from the province on Leyte where such precautions are not necessary.Regards: Jim

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I believe that it is a location thing as far as the bags go ..... when I go to Colon neither my asawa or I carry a bag but when we go shopping we both do as ....... as I am sitting here in SM right now it is actually strange to see a Pilipina with out a bag and more than 60% of males have either a backpack or shoulder bag ....... but in all fairness I only take taxis and unlike some I really have no need to go out late at night ..... I carry personal items in my bag unless I have my tablet (only when I go to SM) that I really won't miss if someone holds me up because he sure ain't gonna snatch it ..... unless he is capable of moving an elephant ..... but a .45 ..... he can have it .... the main key here is (as been said thousands of times) be aware of your surroundings and use common sense ..... and DON'T have on you anything you can't afford to loose ..... now we have some that get upset because they can't wear their expensive watches and jewelry anywhere here in the Phils ..... but that isn't so any more than you can wear that Rolex watch in Little Havana in the US ..... you could wear jewelry like Mr. T in the mall and probably not have any problem ... (other than weird looks) .... now getting there might be a problem ...... :dance: :angry: ..... just remember you are a foreigner and ALL foreigners are rich so even if you wear a Timex and carry a 800p Nokia like me you are perceived to be carrying an iPhone and wearing a Rolex ...... IMHO ...... I just hope who ever robs me doesn't get so disappointed he shoots me out of frustration .... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

If anyone ever holds me up for my old phone I think the best thing for me to say is, "would you like load with that"?

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well that would be TWO loads for me .... as there would be one in my britches ........ :dance: :angry: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 3