MikeB
Posted
Posted

Excellent review, thanks!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Very enjoyable story thanks for posting it.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

A few years back a workmate was telling me about Chiang Mai,sounded like a good place to visit. Will put it on my list of things to do once I win the lotto. :hystery:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the detailed review. :hystery: Sounds like a place my wife and I will take a side trip to one day.

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

Chiang Mai is one of my favorite places in the world. Been all over Europe, South America, Canada and the US, and some of Asia, but Chiang Mai remains my favorite. What we did the first time was not go on the tours, like the Butterfly factory, the Elephant farm, the Mother of Pearl factory, but instead rented a motorcycle and went around on our own. Had several suits made, bought tons of gold and jewelry, ate Indian food every day, (don't care for lemon grass), and had the best time of our life. In our travels in the country side, we stopped at a house way out in the country and asked if we could tour his house. He was in the yard working on his pickup and his wife was sitting in a rocker. Took awhile to make him understand, that yes, we really did want to look at his house. Once he understood no problem. His house was just like any house in the US, except no bed frame. Just a mat on the floor. Everything else just like our house. No English of course from him, no Thai for us, but we got along so well, we were invited to stay for dinner, then the night. I like to see how other people live when I travel; I stay away from tourist hotels and spots, preferring to meet the natives so to speak. This resulted in us meeting a real live Duke once in Europe, and being invited to dinner and to stay the night. Love to travel. Alas, now that I am poor, don't get out as much.

• Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

When I was still in the Air Force, I was fortunate enough to be stationed in Utapao Air Base, Thailand in 1975 to 1976 for 18 months until all the U.S. military bases closed and pulled out and never to reopen again!I lived off base in a little town called Ban Chang near the South Coast, Bangkok and Chang Mai is just up North and Pattaya beach resort is North west from Ban Chang. I really enjoyed myself there, the countryside, food (Phad Thai noodles my favorite dish and seafood spring rolls), the night life & the beautiful women were awesome(no ladyboy toys), but not the climate! Too hot, it can get to 120 deg F in some parts of Thailand! post-682-0-03127000-1326784545_thumb.jpg post-682-0-44760700-1326785004_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-36292000-1326785039_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the excellent report. I've always wanted to visit Thailand, and have done quite a bit of research on retiring there,...from what I have read Chang mai seems fairly inexpensive and has good infrastructure. However I think Philippines has more advantages...most notably communicating and visa extensions are easier. I will still have to visit Thailand some day though.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the trip report from Chiang Mai. Sounds great! I've read a lot about Chiang Mai and it seems to be fairly inexpensive. A lot of expats live there but I think the language barrier would a problem for me. I still want to vacation there one of these days.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the trip report from Chiang Mai. Sounds great! I've read a lot about Chiang Mai and it seems to be fairly inexpensive. A lot of expats live there but I think the language barrier would a problem for me. I still want to vacation there one of these days.
Dang shipmate,You do like your port visits. Yeah, I know -- once a sailor, always a sailor. Don't forgetabout the corpsman with the square needle.....he, he.Liberty call -- Jake