Exit Clearance Certificate

carlo42na
Posted
Posted

Hi jake, Sorry for the delay of my reply. Been busy and indispose.About your queries:(1) Is that anyone, Filipino citizens, OFWs, Fil/Ams, foreigners, Dual Citizens, who have over stayed in the Philippines over a year has to exit the country and will require a ECC prior to departure unless one has retained a visa extension.- Filipinos are not covered by Emigration Clearance Certificate( ECC). Once you are issued Dual Citizenship you will no longer secure Emigration Clearance certification (ECC). Just present a proof of Dual citizenship.(2) Tourists having stayed over 6 months would require an ECC prior to exiting the country! I've also read it stating anything over 3 months on other blogs and forums! So, which is it, over 3 months, 6 months or 1 year? Confusing! - All tourists who stayed over 6 months should apply for ECC at ARD (3) Concerning Balikbayans, as long it's within their 1 yr free stay aka BB stamp, they do not require an ECC prior to departure, but if one's BB stamp has expired and is on an extended visa extension beyond 6 months, then one requires an ECC prior to their departure which my wife and I personally experienced, but less than 6 months of visa extensions an ECC is not required which we too have experienced to be true! - Yes this is true.Regards,carlo

• Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi jake, Sorry for the delay of my reply. Been busy and indispose.About your queries:(1) Is that anyone, Filipino citizens, OFWs, Fil/Ams, foreigners, Dual Citizens, who have over stayed in the Philippines over a year has to exit the country and will require a ECC prior to departure unless one has retained a visa extension.- Filipinos are not covered by Emigration Clearance Certificate( ECC). Once you are issued Dual Citizenship you will no longer secure Emigration Clearance certification (ECC). Just present a proof of Dual citizenship.(2) Tourists having stayed over 6 months would require an ECC prior to exiting the country! I've also read it stating anything over 3 months on other blogs and forums! So, which is it, over 3 months, 6 months or 1 year? Confusing! - All tourists who stayed over 6 months should apply for ECC at ARD(3) Concerning Balikbayans, as long it's within their 1 yr free stay aka BB stamp, they do not require an ECC prior to departure, but if one's BB stamp has expired and is on an extended visa extension beyond 6 months, then one requires an ECC prior to their departure which my wife and I personally experienced, but less than 6 months of visa extensions an ECC is not required which we too have experienced to be true! - Yes this is true.Regards,carlo
Carlo,Those were my inquires, but you didn't answer item (2) Tourists having stayed over 6 months would require an ECC prior to exiting the country! I've also read it stating anything over 3 months on other blogs and forums! So, which is it, over 3 months, 6 months or 1 year?Besides Jake, I'm the other Fil/Amfrom Sta Rosa, Laguna Edited by Art2ro

carlo42na
Posted
Posted

Hi Art2ro,Its 6 months not 3 months.carlo

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Just went to the BOI office near our home to get my wife's Exit Clearance Certificate like we did before a few years ago. They said it now can be paid at the airport prior to our departure! Our friend confirmed it, because the BOI main office in Manila told her the same thing, she leaves for the U.S. tomorrow on a extended vacation for 6 months!

• Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted
Just went to the BOI office near our home to get my wife's Exit Clearance Certificate like we did before a few years ago. They said it now can be paid at the airport prior to our departure! Our friend confirmed it, because the BOI main office in Manila told her the same thing, she leaves for the U.S. tomorrow on a extended vacation for 6 months!
Art,Do you know if that always applies to foreigners that have stayed longer than the 6 months?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Do you know if that always applies to foreigners that have stayed longer than the 6 months?
I can tell you that it does not apply to foreigners who have stayed more than 6 months on a tourist visa and apply for an ECC to leave Cebu via Mactan airport. I made the same inquiry there just recently and was told it must be done, complete with thumbprints, photos and 500 pesos, at the BI office in Mandaue during regular business hours.But there are different rule from different classifications of visitors. My experience is ONLY for people on a tourist visa that gets renewed every 2 months.
  • Like 2

Garpo
Posted
Posted
Do you know if that always applies to foreigners that have stayed longer than the 6 months?
I can tell you that it does not apply to foreigners who have stayed more than 6 months on a tourist visa and apply for an ECC to leave Cebu via Mactan airport. I made the same inquiry there just recently and was told it must be done, complete with thumbprints, photos and 500 pesos, at the BI office in Mandaue during regular business hours.But there are different rule from different classifications of visitors. My experience is ONLY for people on a tourist visa that gets renewed every 2 months.
I had been here in the Philippines for just over a year and went back to the US for a 8 day business trip. I was only here on extended tourist visa and I only had to surrender my I-card at the airport in Manila and pay an exit fee of about 1000 peso. After I returned I then had to restart my extended stay visa process over again. It was my understanding that the I-card served as your ECC. Maybe I just got lucky because I did not have any other type exit clearance certificate.
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I had been here in the Philippines for just over a year and went back to the US for a 8 day business trip. I was only here on extended tourist visa and I only had to surrender my I-card at the airport in Manila and pay an exit fee of about 1000 peso. After I returned I then had to restart my extended stay visa process over again. It was my understanding that the I-card served as your ECC. Maybe I just got lucky because I did not have any other type exit clearance certificate.
Either you got lucky or I got unlucky. At Mactan airport, after 1 year and 5 months, I had to pay the travel tax of 1,620, plus the airport tax of 550 and have an ECC for 500 plus the cost of photos and getting to the BI to get it. To add insult to injury, they almost did not let me leave because I had removed the 'official receipt' that was stapled to the ECC and left it home for safekeeping. I was told that must remain stapled to the ECC for it to be valid. But then I always seem to get the 'anal' officers when I get to the front of the line.One bright spot thought. I did not have to surrender the tourist ACR card that was only 6 months old and when I came back after a week it was still valid for my next few tourist visa renewals. Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

As I understand it, as long your ACR I-card has a long ways to go before it expires and you're returning to the Philippines, you need not relinquish your ACR I-card at the airport upon your departure, that's what I did last year I kept my card upon departure from the Philippines and had it renewed, but mine was 4 months expired, but it was no big deal with the BOI office! Only 13a permanent resident visa holders can use their ACR I-cards as their exit and reentry certificate(ECC), but if stayed over a year still has to pay the exit fee, travel tax and terminal fee, where as regular tourists can not use their ACR I-card has their exit (ECC), because it only serves as an I.D. with all your immigration data embedded in the micro chip and have to pay the exit fee at the airport prior to departure, some BOI offices still make provisions of making out the ECC, but just recently I was informed that the ECC can now be paid at the airport prior to one's departure!

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
but just recently I was informed that the ECC can now be paid at the airport prior to one's departure!
Art, if you get a chance to find out, I would like to know if the Mactan airport in Cebu is supposed to offer that same service to those of us on a tourist visa or is it just the ones leaving from Manila that can use that service. And what about Clark airport?
  • Like 3