Honest Taxi Driver

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Honest Taxi DriverDuring my last trip to Manila, I needed to deliver two large suitcases to a non-profit shelter for street children. They were Samsonites in good condition and obviously heavy because of the donated electronic equipment and laptops. The area was very poor. There were no street numbers. I asked the taxi driver to wait while I entered the gated compound to verify if it was the correct address. This took several minutes to confirm. That’s when I realized my mistake. The driver could have taken off with the suitcases. But there he was patiently waiting just outside the gate.I hired him the next day as an "On Duty" taxi for my appointments. My personal bag was kept in the trunk so we did not have to return to the hotel prior to catching an evening flight. Now for a funny story. One appointment required entering Ayala Alabang Village and the security guards wouldn't let us. The driver had a traffic citation rather than a license. Instead of paying the customary bribe, he wanted to plead the violation in traffic court. The impasse was technically the driver had no license. So I asked the head of security, who spoke English, if I could drive inside the village using my US driver's license. His answer was, "Yes. But..." In a wealthy enclave, the American does not drive a taxi while the driver seats next to him. The two of us had a good laugh knowing the head of security was probably shaking his head as I drove away. This was probably a first for him. So if you need a day hire taxi in Manila, try Mikki Gonzalez. Send a text message to Cellular 0927-770-2641. Add the words, "honest taxi driver." That's our agreed code. Rates are negotiable. From Mr. Lee's posting, I will keep Ramil's in Cebu (09219 524 439) in the event I need a day hire taxi in that city.JJRpost-1632-0-78459600-1327022428_thumb.jp

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
-added image to the post correctly
  • Like 5

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

when I lived in manila, my selection for a driver was his attitude,driving skills, how he "took"short cuts to save time and of course his Honesty.For short trips or fare I always got 1st available taxi, When I needed a TAXI/DRIVER for several hours I would call/text1 of the drivers I had felt was the best available,NOW that I live in Sta Rosa, about 20km from Alabang,40Km from Mega-mall, I try to use Driver whose Taxi is based here or close-by,JJR thank you for this post this driver will be getting some of my business ,PLAY IT FORWARD is this the motto?, when you do good,pass the deed to another so they would do another Good deed in return

piglett
Posted
Posted
Honest Taxi DriverDuring my last trip to Manila, I needed to deliver two large suitcases to a non-profit shelter for street children. They were Samsonites in good condition and obviously heavy because of the donated electronic equipment and laptops. The area was very poor. There were no street numbers. I asked the taxi driver to wait while I entered the gated compound to verify if it was the correct address. This took several minutes to confirm. That’s when I realized my mistake. The driver could have taken off with the suitcases. But there he was patiently waiting just outside the gate.I hired him the next day as an "On Duty" taxi for my appointments. My personal bag was kept in the trunk so we did not have to return to the hotel prior to catching an evening flight. Now for a funny story. One appointment required entering Ayala Alabang Village and the security guards wouldn't let us. The driver had a traffic citation rather than a license. Instead of paying the customary bribe, he wanted to plead the violation in traffic court. The impasse was technically the driver had no license. So I asked the head of security, who spoke English, if I could drive inside the village using my US driver's license. His answer was, "Yes. But..." In a wealthy enclave, the American does not drive a taxi while the driver seats next to him. The two of us had a good laugh knowing the head of security was probably shaking his head as I drove away. This was probably a first for him. So if you need a day hire taxi in Manila, try Mikki Gonzalez. Send a text message to Cellular 0927-770-2641. Add the words, "honest taxi driver." That's our agreed code. Rates are negotiable. From Mr. Lee's posting, I will keep Ramil's in Cebu (09219 524 439) in the event I need a day hire taxi in that city.JJRpost-1632-0-78459600-1327022428_thumb.jp
:cheersty: I'll look him up the next time i am in Manila, thankspiglett