Cni...cert Of No Impediment

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

Depending where you get married, some places in the Philippines require you to get a cni from your consulate in the Philippines And not just the one you obtained from your country.

When I got married in Balamban they would not accept the cni I brought with me from England, They said I had to get a local one from my consulate in Cebu,  And all they seemed to do was to copy it and stamp it and hold their hand out for another 4,500 peso, If I hadn't got the one from England with me, the cost would have been 9,000.

Edited by brock
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Depending where you get married, some places in the Philippines require you to get a cni from your consulate in the Philippines And not just the one you obtained from your country.

When I got married in Balamban they would not accept the cni I brought with me from England, They said I had to get a local one from my consulate in Cebu,  And all they seemed to do was to copy it and stamp it and hold their hand out for another 4,500 peso, If I hadn't got the one from England with me, the cost would have been 9,000.

What I meant is you fill the form out here, signed and witnessed, its then sent/posted to Manila who do whatever and send it back to you or to an address you nominate. Thats what I did I am sure of but it was a few years ago now. I am not saying to get one from Australia.

Marriage of Australians in the Philippines

This information is provided to assist you to complete the necessary formalities to ensure that your marriage is legally recognised under both Philippine and Australian law.

For a foreigner to legally marry under Philippine law, two documents are required:

CERTIFICATE OF NO IMPEDIMENT (CNI) also known as Certificate of Legal Capacity

MARRIAGE LICENCE

NOTE: Philippine law requires the CNI to be issued by the Embassy of the applicant's country of nationality in the Philippines. Documents issued in Australia or other countries are not acceptable to the Philippine authorities.

The Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) to Marriage, is not a requirement of Australian law. This is issued at the request of overseas countries seeking to ensure that a marriage involving Australian citizens, celebrated in that country, will also be recognised as a valid marriage by the Australian authorities.

A WORD OF WARNING: There have been cases where people have offered to be of assistance in arranging a marriage without completing all the necessary formalities. These marriages may not be recognised for purpose of migration to Australia. If you are encouraged or advised to go through marriage procedures which differ from the following process you should check with the Immigration Section of the Australian Embassy in Manila to ensure your marriage will be recognised as legitimate for migration purposes.

For Australian citizens the quickest and easiest way to obtain a CNI is by mail of from Consular Section of the Australian Embassy.

Australian citizens must complete an application for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage and lodge the completed form with the Consular section of the Australian Embassy in Manila.

This application form may be obtained from:

the Australian Embassy in Manila,

or from any other Australian Embassy

or Consulate overseas,

or any office of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia.

or printed from here.

Full details of your intended spouse must be included in the application for the CNI. Evidence of the applicant's nationality and date of birth must be sighted before a CNI can be issued, normally an Australian passport or birth certificate. A certified copy of these documents may be accepted if you do not wish to send the original documents in the mail.

If you choose to send the forms to the Embassy by mail, please allow sufficient time for delivery bearing in mind that there are often delays (and losses) in domestic and overseas mail.

PLEASE NOTE THAT the Embassy does not have the resources to acknowledge receipt of these forms

We suggest you contact the Consular Section of the Embassy about three weeks after posting, to confirm receipt of forms.

There is no waiting period for the issue of a CNI. A CNI can be issued by the Embassy immediately if all requirements are met.

The applicant must declare that the information contained in the application is true. The declaration must be witnessed by a person who holds the office or professional qualification listed at the bottom of the application. Where the application is declared overseas, it may be witnessed by a person, who holds under foreign law, an equivalent office or equivalent professional qualifications to those listed at the bottom of the application.

An authorisation letter is required for a fiancÉ(e) to collect the Certificate. Identification must be produced to confirm the identity of the fiancÉ(e) named on the Certificate.

The processing fee for the CNI, payable on or before collection. The current fee payable can be ascertained by visiting the the Current Consular Fees page.Payment should be made by cash or bank cheque (not Australian $). If you would like the Embassy to post the CNI to you, please provide your mailing address. You should allow sufficient time for any postal delays.

http://www.australia.com.ph/mnla/marriage.html

Embassy address: Level 23-Tower 2 RCBC Plaza 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati City, 1200 - Telephone: 757 8100 - Fax: 757 8268 - DIAC: 757 8340

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Jen San Luis
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

I am new here and seeking for assistance. Seems that getting married is a bit of an ache.

My situation is

ME: Filipina w/ Phil Passport and born in the Philippines, Current Location: UAE

HUSBAND-TO-BE: Filipino w/ Phil Passpost, Born in the UAE, half-Indian half-filipino, Current Location: UAE

Does he need to get CNI as well? Can you please post the website where we can get the form and process it online.

Thanks a lot all for your help.

Hoping for your quick revert.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

ME: Filipina w/ Phil Passport and born in the Philippines, Current Location: UAE HUSBAND-TO-BE: Filipino w/ Phil Passpost, Born in the UAE, half-Indian half-filipino, Current Location: UAE   Does he need to get CNI as well? Can you please post the website where we can get the form and process it online.

You didn't mention where you intend to marry. Regardless, I would contact the municipality or entity where you will be married and ask them. If you need it you can order it here - https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx

robert k
Posted
Posted

Would not the Philippines recognize a marriage performed in the UAE and according to it's laws? It may be that you can save alot of hassle getting married outside the RP and you can have the big church ceremony when you get back to the Philippines if you wish. :)

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think the secret to this question lies in the passport statement. You are obviously both Filipinos so whatever you need? He needs.

Sent from my Samsung Tab 3 by Tapatalk, 6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly...

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Anyone know how long a US CNI is good for?  I got mine about a month ago... just haven't gotten around to getting married yet...  :tiphat:

brock
Posted
Posted

Anyone know how long a US CNI is good for?  I got mine about a month ago... just haven't gotten around to getting married yet...  :tiphat:

Tuka,,,,When I got married one time in the Philippines, My CNI was 4 months old, And they told me it was out of date by 1 month,

They told me it was only valid for 3 months in the Philippines, Even though it was valid for 1 year back in the UK.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well... I guess I better look into that ha ha 

I have a trip back to the US planned for October for my daughters wedding and my fiance says she is afraid we will run out of money if we pay for a wedding for us.  So to be safe - she wants to wait until I get back...   But that would mean a trip to Cebu for a new cNI... hey.. not a bad idea...     :tiphat:

Americano
Posted
Posted

CNI (Certificate of No Impediments) is for foreigners, so if both of you are Filipinos then that requirement should not apply if you marry in the Philippines. As someone already said, why don't you get married in the UAE?