Usa B1/b2 Visa Question

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I was hoping someone here on the forum has experience with this.My Filipina girlfriend has a 10 year B1/B2 US visa from a 3 month visit to the US sponsored by her company in 2008.I am hoping she will be able to visit on vacation in the coming months. Is she likely to have any problems re-entering the US and just stating that she is coming on a 2 week vacation? What questions should she be prepared for and/or should she bring any other documents? She has been with same company for 9 years, owns her home, and will be leaving her daughter at home, so it seems to me that she would not appear to be an illegal immigrant risk.She is very nervous about it because one of her colleagues got sent back at LAX because she was travelling to the US too frequently on business. They said she needed to get a different visa than the B1/B2 in order to work in the US that much. That is a completely different scenario than my girlfriends but it still makes her nervousThanks for any advice!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

B1/B2 is a visa allowing entry into the United States for either business or pleasure. She should be okay for a two weeks holiday.The problem is the US Department of State issued the visa. Upon arrival, the Immigration officer is an employee of the US Department for Homeland Security. If the interview does not go well, the Immigration officer can deny entry.Sometimes there is no interview. The suggestion is to be prepared if there is one. Evidences, to be shown only upon request, may include her company issued identity card; company business cards with her name and title; one or more major credit cards; hotel reservations; tour reservations; cash & traveller's checks; a camera in your handbag or shoulder; dressing well, but casual; and a return ticket. Make sure her wallet has her daughter's pictures. ("Of course, my intent is to return to the Philippines. I have a beautiful daugher back home." Time to flash the picture.)By the way, try to have a hotel address with a known name like "Hilton," "Sheraton," "Marriott," etc. for the first day after arrival. Writing down a home address on the I-90 form is a red flag. Stating that the purpose of your trip is to meet friends and relatives is another. It's better to say, "I have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon." or. "I missed seeing Disneyland during my last visit." Be prepared to respond to probing questions like, "Do you know how much is the entrance fee for Disneyland?" Always be polite and answer the questions. No fighting words like, "Why are you questioning my honesty?" If entry is denied, it's time for those magic words, "May I speak with your supervisor?" Next one is, "Can this case by adjudicated by an Immigration judge?" or "May I speak with an attorney practicing in the field of immigration law?" Foreign visitors forget that once you are in US soil, you have certain rights, including due process.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
B1/B2 is a visa allowing entry into the United States for either business or pleasure. She should be okay for a two weeks holiday.The problem is the US Department of State issued the visa. Upon arrival, the Immigration officer is an employee of the US Department for Homeland Security. If the interview does not go well, the Immigration officer can deny entry.Sometimes there is no interview. The suggestion is to be prepared if there is one. Evidences, to be shown only upon request, may include her company issued identity card; company business cards with her name and title; one or more major credit cards; hotel reservations; tour reservations; cash & traveller's checks; a camera in your handbag or shoulder; dressing well, but casual; and a return ticket. Make sure her wallet has her daughter's pictures. ("Of course, my intent is to return to the Philippines. I have a beautiful daugher back home." Time to flash the picture.)By the way, try to have a hotel address with a known name like "Hilton," "Sheraton," "Marriott," etc. for the first day after arrival. Writing down a home address on the I-90 form is a red flag. Stating that the purpose of your trip is to meet friends and relatives is another. It's better to say, "I have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon." or. "I missed seeing Disneyland during my last visit." Be prepared to respond to probing questions like, "Do you know how much is the entrance fee for Disneyland?" Always be polite and answer the questions. No fighting words like, "Why are you questioning my honesty?" If entry is denied, it's time for those magic words, "May I speak with your supervisor?" Next one is, "Can this case by adjudicated by an Immigration judge?" or "May I speak with an attorney practicing in the field of immigration law?" Foreign visitors forget that once you are in US soil, you have certain rights, including due process.
Fantastic advice! Thank you very much!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Here's a good informative site that may help:http://www.workpermi...loyer_b1_b2.htmB1 and B2 visitor visas

Business travelers may enter the United States using a B1, or 'Visitor for Business' Visa. In practice these visas are invariably issued as jointly with B2, or 'Visitor for Pleasure' (i.e. Tourist) visa. This practice means that, if a candidate has an old tourist visa, it may be valid for a planned business trip. For those who come under the visa-waiver scheme, details of which are provided below, there is usually no need to apply for a visit visa at all if the candidate wishes to visit the US for three months or less.While in the US as a business visitor, an individual may:

• Conduct Negotiations
  • Solicit sales or investment
  • Discuss planned investment or purchases.
  • Make investments or purchases
  • Attend Meetings, and participate in them fully.
  • Interview and hire staff.
  • Conduct research.
The following activities require a working visa, and may not be carried out by business visitors:
  • Running a business.
  • "Gainful employment".
  • Payment by an organization within the US.
  • Participating as a professional in entertainment or sporting events.

Obviously there is a considerable 'gray area' in between what definitely is allowed and what definitely isn't. It is advisable to err on the side of caution when bringing overseas persons into the USA on business visitor visas. However, in certain strictly limited cases, paid employment may be possible using a 'H1B'Those entering on visitor visas will generally be granted 6 months admission (the maximum allowable is one year) on entry. It may be possible to obtain a six-month extension to the visit visa as long as the candidate will be maintaining visitor status, and there are good reasons to do so. It is sometimes possible to change status to another longer - term visa whilst in the US as a visitor, as long as the candidate advised the relevant US Embassy or Consulate of this possibility beforehand, or there was no pre-conceived intent to do so.NB: Visit visas should generally be applied for in a country of which the candidate is a Citizen or permanent resident. Applications made in other countries often run a high risk of being turned down. The most common reason for refusal of B1/B2 visas is the applicant showing insufficient evidence of social, family or economic ties to his/her country of residence that would ensure that s/he would return there following the visit to the USA.If the necessary conditions are satisfied then the applicant can apply for a visa. If you would like to find out if you qualify, you may fill out our US visa assessment form.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I miss the old days of just walking across the bridge and paying my dime... I did say the old days!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Here's a good informative site that may help:http://www.workpermi...loyer_b1_b2.htmB1 and B2 visitor visas

Business travelers may enter the United States using a B1, or 'Visitor for Business' Visa. In practice these visas are invariably issued as jointly with B2, or 'Visitor for Pleasure' (i.e. Tourist) visa. This practice means that, if a candidate has an old tourist visa, it may be valid for a planned business trip. For those who come under the visa-waiver scheme, details of which are provided below, there is usually no need to apply for a visit visa at all if the candidate wishes to visit the US for three months or less.While in the US as a business visitor, an individual may:

• Conduct Negotiations
  • Solicit sales or investment
  • Discuss planned investment or purchases.
  • Make investments or purchases
  • Attend Meetings, and participate in them fully.
  • Interview and hire staff.
  • Conduct research.
The following activities require a working visa, and may not be carried out by business visitors:
  • Running a business.
  • "Gainful employment".
  • Payment by an organization within the US.
  • Participating as a professional in entertainment or sporting events.

Obviously there is a considerable 'gray area' in between what definitely is allowed and what definitely isn't. It is advisable to err on the side of caution when bringing overseas persons into the USA on business visitor visas. However, in certain strictly limited cases, paid employment may be possible using a 'H1B'Those entering on visitor visas will generally be granted 6 months admission (the maximum allowable is one year) on entry. It may be possible to obtain a six-month extension to the visit visa as long as the candidate will be maintaining visitor status, and there are good reasons to do so. It is sometimes possible to change status to another longer - term visa whilst in the US as a visitor, as long as the candidate advised the relevant US Embassy or Consulate of this possibility beforehand, or there was no pre-conceived intent to do so.NB: Visit visas should generally be applied for in a country of which the candidate is a Citizen or permanent resident. Applications made in other countries often run a high risk of being turned down. The most common reason for refusal of B1/B2 visas is the applicant showing insufficient evidence of social, family or economic ties to his/her country of residence that would ensure that s/he would return there following the visit to the USA.If the necessary conditions are satisfied then the applicant can apply for a visa. If you would like to find out if you qualify, you may fill out our US visa assessment form.

Thanks Art2ro!