Future Of The Philippines...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The article proposes a 90 days Philippine visa waiver for persons age 55 years and older.
JJR ..... I'm gonna disagree with you on this one .... those are the exact ages for the sex-pats coming to visit the Phils ...... I would in no way want to see them getting a visa waiver ...... the Phils has enough problems with this problem with out adding fuel to the fire ...... I know you don't live here but wish sometime you could just come and sit in a mall where this clowns pick up young girls and listen to all the BS ...... it will stagger your imagination ...... sorry just the way I feel about it .... IMHO
I dont think the length of a visa would make any difference to the type of people who may use it,not as if its hard to get extensions.
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Why 90 days?The United States has a 90 days visa waiver program with 36 countries. It's reciprocal. Americans are extended the same privilege. The Philippines already has a visa waiver program. Visitors from most countries can arrive and stay for 21 days without a visa. If you want to stay longer in the Philippines, it is possible through a visa extension application and paying fees. The number of sexpats won't increase because the visa waiver changes from 21 to 90 days. However, the ease of entry and length of stay makes the Philippines more attractive for visitors escaping the cold, winter months. I don't have connections with powerful and influential persons in the Philippines. By writing about it, hopefully, someone will realize there is merit in the proposal and run with it.

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, as everyone knows, the 'Balikbayan Program" is still alive and doing well and it's free for a year! Anyway, after a tourist has exhausted his/her first free 21 day exempt-visa and 38 day visa extension, they're allowed to extend every 2 months thereafter up to 24 months! Isn't that enough? Oh I know, they want it to be all free, because 2 years worth of extensions do cost, but I think it's reasonable considering the length of stay! JMHO though!http://immigration.g...d=118&Itemid=43 AFTER 59 DAYS OF STAY (INITIAL 21 DAYS + 38 DAYS EXTENSION)

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Genius
Posted
Posted

I m not so worried about the phils improving so much it becomes unnaffordable, more worried that the uk keeps on sliding economically so that whole world becomes unaffordable. I look back in anger at the days of 95 peso to the pound and demand they return. If only ...

• Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted (edited)
If you go home, the caregivers will be Filipinas at much higher prices
SO very true.... my wife could only get a job in Oregon as a caregiver, 9 out of ten caregivers at the facility were Filipina.... I was chatting with the manager one time and in addition to mentioning that he manages 6 facilities, he said that there is, hands down, no better caregiver than a Filipina... the jobs in that area tended to pay minimum or slightly above and were therefore not so attractive to most US folks... This was in a smallish college town (Corvallis Oregon). And on the flipside, my wife would often have access to where she would see the monthly charges and it seemed that most folks that needed walkers and/or some level of assistance on a daily basis, was in the 3-5K range, MONTHLY. This was by no means a primo place either.. .basic needs met, assistance 24/7 as needed etc. Everything like meals etc was all ala carte..... extra for everything. So sad that many of "her patients" were never visited, were slowly losing their life savings.. .etc. The one thing those residents love to death is their Filipina caregivers.... she still keeps in touch with a few of them 2 years after leaving the place.... the American workers that they did have once in awhile, very disrespectful, and the Filipinas had a name for them.... the "DON'T caregivers".... they seemed to only be there for the paycheck and the smoke breaks.... sad. For her, it was an eye opener, not only was family not visiting, but the non-Filipina caregivers were mean and abusive... almost 100% of them.... rare to find a Native American caregiver that really cared.... again, very sad state of our western culture if you ask me. :23_11_62[1]:Embarrassing to have to explain that to my wife as she would come home in tears...as a result of her experiences, she has vowed that I will never be allowed to enter someplace like that and for us, that helped to form the plan to be in the Philippines sooner than later, so I can "go-go" under my watch and when it happens that I am a "slow-go" and "no-go" it will be under her care.... we both love this plan alot. :thumbsup: Edited by Dzighnman
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I m not so worried about the phils improving so much it becomes unnaffordable, more worried that the uk keeps on sliding economically so that whole world becomes unaffordable. I look back in anger at the days of 95 peso to the pound and demand they return. If only ...

You will not see the 95 peso/UK(56p/UD$) exchange rate for at least the next several years,

when the 1st world(EU&USA ) gets their economy back in shape & if the RP loses its current performance then would you see anythning close to what it was

Curley
Posted
Posted
I always compare Philippines with Thailand, where I lived for 11 years.

What part of Thailand was your home? It would be interesting to hear the comparisons.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It will be interesting to see what happens once the South China Seas issue with China is over - if it ever is!