Really Need Advice About Moving To Manila

boxingfan
Posted
Posted

Hello I've been looking at the site and can't really find answers to my particular questions...I hope someone here could give me advice.I'm looking to move to Manila for at least about 6 months, but probably longer. I am confused about living costs, in particular renting an apartment, because I hear conflicting things on different sites. About how much would I be paying for a temporary rental in a good part of Manila that is clean, has internet, etc.; not necessarily luxury, but something good and decent. For example I used to live in Argentina and a few years ago in Buenos Aires you could rent a one-bedroom in the best part of town, in a new building with a pool, for $800/month and that included internet and all utilities as well as weekly cleaning. Is the equivalent cheaper or more expensive in Manila? I've read on some sites that it's as little as half that, but then I look on craigslist and it's more than $800, and also they try to lock you into a six-month contract.Another question I have is about plane tickets. Will they allow you into the country if you have a one-way ticket, or do you need to show some other ticket that you'll leave the country? If I showed an itinerary or something that I was moving on to Bangkok or Taipei would that be enough to satisfy them?Finally, if anyone here has lived in Buenos Aires or Rio de Janeiro, I'd be very curious to hear comparisons to Manila.Thanks!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

You could find a nice condo rental in Manila for less than $800.00 or over $8,000.00. Service jobs are very cheap in Philippines. A part time maid could be had for more or less $100.00 a month in metro Manila.Anything listed online in Philippines is highly over priced.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I posted a question about one way tickets yesterday and everyone tells me you need to have an exit ticket. Most people will buy the cheapest ticket they can find and not use it (if it is not really needed).

Edited by donleathers

Garpo
Posted
Posted

You will need a return or onward ticket.You can find places to rent in Manila for less than $800. but you might not have a pool.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If I showed an itinerary or something
I'm not familiar with Manila but I can answer this part. It seems you are hinting that you could write up your own 'itinerary' which would look like an eticket. It is not a legal alternative but I am sure some have tried. I can tell you that they will (at least in my case), punch in the data like flight number, date, time, etc into their computer to confirm that there is such a flight that you claim to be booked on so you would have to actually counterfeit a ticket . . . which again is illegal, risky, and not condoned on this forum.
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Perhaps get an idea of rental prices here, http://www.sulit.com...y/0/Real+EstateYou can get a throw away ticket for around P3000 so its better to do that than find you miss your flight because of not complying with the regulations and I doubt if an itinerary will help you at all.Why risk it? :kidding:

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I have entered Phils 8 times now and never been asked about a return ticket. Same as always I am asked "how long I am staying" and I ALWAYS say 21 days. End of conversation! Once here I then get an extention (3030p) up to 59 days total. Then extention after extention at various costs, all listed in post on this forum.Now, about Manila... I am based out on Samar for my charity work however I something get medical dinations of higher tech stuff than can be used on Samar. So donate to a hospital in Manila. I have a contact there who you can use and she will not steal your blind! Life long resident in Manila and able guide. Rose at roseccanlas@yahoo.com.ph Contact her for help in manila.

• Like 2

Garpo
Posted
Posted
I have entered Phils 8 times now and never been asked about a return ticket. Same as always I am asked "how long I am staying" and I ALWAYS say 21 days. End of conversation! Once here I then get an extention (3030p) up to 59 days total. Then extention after extention at various costs, all listed in post on this forum.
I flew back to the US in September of 2011 for an 8 day trip for business. When I returned I was required to show my onward (throw away) ticket at the immigration window. So it is not just the airlines that can ask to see it.
  • Like 2

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
I have entered Phils 8 times now and never been asked about a return ticket.
Will you please stop confusing newbies!An onward ticket is a requirement!Just because immigration didn't ask, does not mean it was not checked when you boarded your plane. It is the airline that will have to pay a fine if you do not meet immigration requirements.Regards: Jim
  • Like 5

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here's the current cheap promo deals on Cebu Air Pacific, Tiger Airways and Air Asia for your on-ward (throw away) tickets!Cebu Air Pacifichttp://www.cebupacificair.com/#(top half within the Philippines only)promo-fares.jpgTiger Airways has promo deal, but slightly more!http://www.tigerairw.../real_deals.php Latest deals from Philippines# Departing from Manila - Clark Price Travel Period Hong Kong from PHP 1,099 01 Feb 12 - 30 Jun 12 Macau from PHP 1,800 26 Jan 12 - 31 Jan 12 Singapore from PHP 2,400 01 Feb 12 - 31 Dec 12 Bangkok from PHP 2,400 01 Feb 12 - 31 Dec 12 Departing from Manila Price Travel Period Singapore from PHP 2,000 01 Feb 12 - 31 Oct 12 Departing from Cebu# Price Travel Period Singapore from PHP 2,199 01 Feb 12 - 29 Feb 12 Departing from Davao# Price Travel Period Singapore from PHP 2,500 01 Mar 12 - 30 Apr 12 Air Asia their deals are way too muchhttp://www.airasia.com/ph/en/home.pageNote: On-line purchases, the Philippine travel tax should not be included and better yet if the Philippine tax is not either so that you pay less for your ticket! Travel agents will automatically include the Philippine tax on the purchase of the ticket through them and also the Travel Tax, unless you have a certificate of waiver from PTA! No avoiding getting charged for the pre-arranged seat assignments and administration fee!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1