Really Need Advice About Moving To Manila

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Jim, regarding your comment about Manila, what is your opinion about Cebu growing and 'when' it will be like Manila?When I first arrived I visited Cebu and Samar and of course Manila. Over the past 2-3 years, I as a tourist have seen Cebu growing so fast and congested with cars, that I lost interest in it. So I stay out on Samar which seems to be better suited for me. While the lure (no budget) of a condo in Manila / Cebu for a diversion to the rural life would be interesting, I would have to choose Manila because I can fly in and out to the US directly via PAL which is hour for hour, door to door, a shorter time than say one of the airlines that fly out of Cebu. But I can only take Manila for a week at most.
For flights, you can still get to Cebu with PAL, you just do it via Manila but book your luggage all the way to Cebu. The PAL in flight magazine says that North American passengers pass customs in Cebu. I fly to Cebu with PAL and have an internal customs inspection in Manila. I get 2 boarding passes when I board the plane in Sydney.I believe Cebu will never catch Manila. Sure it is getting more traffic but to me that is a sign of an improving economy. When I first visited in 1994, most of the traffic was public transport. Now there is more private cars than public transport on the roads.I personally don't drive in Cebu City anyway so traffic doesn't bother me. Most everything I want is within walking distance. Of course I get excersise by walking. Sometimes I walk 4 hours a day.I have noticed more traffic heading out Banilad way but I have also noticed that Talimban has developed greatly and presume that a lot of traffic is related to that.Traffic in Downtown has improved hugely since the tunnel was built under the Plaza Independencia. There used to be a huge bottle neck in the area around Plaza Independencia and along the streets that end at Plaza Independencia. Now most days traffic moves along smoothly.Regards: Jim
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
gunner05
Posted
Posted

Guy I am confused.... so basically, I can buy a one-way ticket from JFK to Manila, then buy a throw-away ticket from Cebu airlines... and they won't give me any problems at the gate? Wouldn't they ?????? with me at JFK... why do I only have a one way.I am really confused how this works.... someone care to explain to newb here?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Guy I am confused.... so basically, I can buy a one-way ticket from JFK to Manila, then buy a throw-away ticket from Cebu airlines... and they won't give me any problems at the gate? Wouldn't they ?????? with me at JFK... why do I only have a one way.I am really confused how this works.... someone care to explain to newb here?
Make sure you have the throw away ticket to show at your departure point,its the airlines responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the Philippines.Theres a whole thread or six on this and I will find it in a minute. :th_unfair: Oh and welcome to the forum :unsure:

gunner05
Posted
Posted
Make sure you have the throw away ticket to show at your departure point,its the airlines responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the Philippines.Theres a whole thread or six on this and I will find it in a minute. :nudie: Oh and welcome to the forum :grouphugg:
so at JFK, when I show my passport and ticket... i must also show the onwards (throwaway) ticket? i'm assuming the throwaway ticket can be to hongkong or anywhere else.. wouldn't they give me more problem... why am going to china lol ?

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Make sure you have the throw away ticket to show at your departure point,its the airlines responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the Philippines.Theres a whole thread or six on this and I will find it in a minute. :) Oh and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
so at JFK, when I show my passport and ticket... i must also show the onwards (throwaway) ticket? i'm assuming the throwaway ticket can be to hongkong or anywhere else.. wouldn't they give me more problem... why am going to china lol ?
China OK... Cuba... not OK.....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
That,s right,its nothing to do with them or anyone where you are going,all you are doing is meeting the requirements of the Philippines. The airlines may or may not ask to see any onward ticket and when you land in the Philippines they may may not ask either but you should never take that risk.The airlines can be fined and will be responsible to fly you out again if the conditions of entering the country have been breached.

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

here is my best advice about living in Manila. DON'T.

• Like 4

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
here is my best advice about living in Manila. DON'T.
You may find and live in a nice expensive cozy place in Manila, but once you're out of your "Comfort Zone", you are fair game! :89:

Genius
Posted
Posted

Not sure why Manila gets such a bad rap. I think Makati is much nicer than Cebu for Amenity, buildings, shops, restos and the like. I agree outside of makati, much of Manila is ropey. Is it on the basis of cost, lack of greenery and beach, because I accept Manila fails on those, or is it just that most members live around Cebu.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Not sure why Manila gets such a bad rap. I think Makati is much nicer than Cebu for Amenity, buildings, shops, restos and the like. I agree outside of makati, much of Manila is ropey.Is it on the basis of cost, lack of greenery and beach, because I accept Manila fails on those, or is it just that most members live around Cebu.
I've been there quite a bit because my best friend lives in Marikina, which is decent. There are some nice and peaceful areas; Eastwood, for example. There's a lot to offer if you like city life but, for me, the traffic is unacceptable. The drive from Marikina to the airport should take about an hour. Once I left more then 4 hours before the flight and still missed it. No thanks.