Screen Name And Search Engines

Bruce
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...-000602237.html Lawmakers press Google on privacy policy changes(Reuters) - A leading lawmaker on privacy issues said on Thursday he would ask for a probe into whether recently announced changes in how Google handles consumer data violated an agreement it made with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.Representative Edward Markey was also one of eight U.S. lawmakers who sent a letter to Google expressing concern that a planned consolidation of user information may make it more difficult for consumers to protect their privacy.In a separate statement, Markey went further: "I plan to ask the Federal Trade Commission whether Google's planned changes to its privacy policy violate Google's recent settlement with the agency."
Virtually ALL this privacy issue crap would go away IF a federal law was passed making everything an OPT IN instead of OPT OUT format. Add some teeth to the law by allowing consumers to sue for damages pegged at say $500 per day per person AND the internet company is also on the hook for all legal fees the consumer incures in suing to enforce their rights. No class actions allowed. So no attorney get millions in fees. Just a few thousand lawsuits filed per day for a week or so and Google and others would fine a way real fast to protect our privacy.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

http://www.washingto...fNVQ_story.htmlGoogle privacy policy: Who will be affected and how you can choose what information gets sharedTwo days after Google announced sweeping changes to its privacy policy, analysts are weighing on who might be most affected by it. Cecilia Kang reports:

Google this week announced a shift in its privacy policies that will allow it to follow the activities of users as they move across the firm’s Web sites, including its highly popular YouTube, Gmail and main search engine. The company emphasized in interviews that the change would apply only to users who are signed on to their Google accounts.

The initiative

could be of particular significance for consumers of Android devices, who are almost always signed on to their phones and tablets, experts said. Without signing up for an account, an Android smartphone owner would be limited in what he or she could do on the device, they said.

The company said users who activate Android phones without signing into a Google account can make phone calls, browse the Web and use pre-installed applications. But they couldn’t use their Gmail, chat functions or download Angry Birds, Pandora or other applications from the Android Marketplace.

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

when I changed to my new SCREEN NAME very few items was listed for "pittman square apartments"

after 2weeks I went back and behold.. my posts/forum access was listed,

better not to use ones name .as to not be so VISUAL.

when 1 person made a topic. "looking for international schools in......" it was in the top 20 search returns

i am bob
Posted
Posted

And then some of us don't mind if anybody knows who we are....  hehe!

The way I figure it - if I am going to make a statement, then I better be brave enough to stand up and say I said it.  I may not always say the right thing or even be completely wrong but I will also stand up and admit it also.  So what does it matter if people know who I am?  Doesn't everybody know?  I AM BOB!  AND I AM CANADIAN!  oh, wait...  that was a beer commercial...

:mocking:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It is wise to be a bit careful.  There have been 'crusaders' who fix on an idea, decide they are right, and then publish and twist the words and actions of anyone who is not in agreement with them.  This kind of backbiting goes on a lot on some forums or blogs and its one good reason why we do not link to blogs and other forums.  So as not to stir settled excrement pots I will not go further in that direction but realize that it happens and using a real name , or a real picture, can lead to some serious stress.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It is wise to be a bit careful.  There have been 'crusaders' who fix on an idea, decide they are right, and then publish and twist the words and actions of anyone who is not in agreement with them.  This kind of backbiting goes on a lot on some forums or blogs and its one good reason why we do not link to blogs and other forums.  So as not to stir settled excrement pots I will not go further in that direction but realize that it happens and using a real name , or a real picture, can lead to some serious stress.

Hey!  I know I'm not that good looking but I don't think looking at my picture is going to cause somebody "some serious stress"!  ok, maybe a little stress....

:mocking:  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery: