Pinoy-Developed Cancer Treatment Could Mean Less Pain For Patients

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...-111219075.htmlA cancer treatment currently under development promises fewer side effects and less pain for cancer patients. Developed by a team led by Dr. Jay Lazaro of the Institute of Biology, University of the Philippines-Diliman, the treatment uses immunoliposomes as carriers of drugs in cancer therapy. It is currently being tested on mice and part of a project funded by the Department of Science and Technology."This kind of breakthrough technology is part of DOST’s drug discovery program for 2012,” says DOST Secretary Mario Montejo. “It lists high in the priorities under the Department's antibody molecular oncology R&D in our search for anti-cancer treatments suitable to Filipinos.”The more common method of treating cancer, chemotherapy, damages normal cells, so patients experience unpleasant side effects such as nausea, vomiting, allergic reactions, fatigue, weight loss, changes in taste and smell, loss of appetite and hair loss. Therefore, a treatment that affects fewer normal cells will result in fewer side effects.
  • Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

This is interesting but not a break through. I also think it is being developed in the Philippines due to the very complex and costly FDA review processes in the US.This format is simply a carrier of existing drugs, not a new drug per se. So while this may allow the drug to be more consentrated at the actual cancer cell site, it is still an existing drug being used.As of yet, there is no magic bullet in killing cancer. While there is not a reason to stop and there may be other uses for this delivery format, it will not end cancer no way no how due to the fact it is treating cancer in a latent form which is counter untuitive thinking. There are other researchers focusing on the immune system and stopping cancer before it starts. That is where the cure will be found. The thinking is that everybody has cancer cells at some time or another, but the immune system sees the cancer cell and kills it before it replicates and thereby you never knew you had 'cancer'. We just do not know why the immune systems stops seeing the cancer which allows it to grow and then the latent treatmets start to try and kill the cells.Opinions are like butt holes. Everyone has one and there are a lot of $$$ are stake. Unfortunately, researchers chase their tails following up on ideas and opinions that qualify for grants / cash income, instead of everyone focusing on getting the immune system to see all the cancer cells as they form and then kill the cells thereby making any treatments a think of the past.NOTICE: When I say immune system and I do NOT mean for anyone to go out and buy ANY product that claims that it boosts the immune system. You are only making the maker of those supplements rich.

• Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted

"Cancer treatment using Caelyx may cost from P40,000 to P45,000 for every 20mg" Hmmmm, i wonder how many mg the average Filipino could buy?

i am bob
Posted
Posted
"Cancer treatment using Caelyx may cost from P40,000 to P45,000 for every 20mg"Hmmmm, i wonder how many mg the average Filipino could buy?
That's where the insurance plan comes in... You know... The "Rich Kano" plan... :th_exactly: