I Would Not Normally Send Money But....

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
I just saw the part where you are going to be seeing her in a month. OK, that changes my opinion. Go for it. Its groundwork on building a relationship. It shows you are willing to commit something, (money), and you are asking her to commit something, (time). Sending a little bit of money in exchange for her waiting for one month to see you is a fair deal, to me at least.
Dave - you just did what I know a lot of people wouldn't do. When you realized you missed a piece of information, you changed your answer quickly to a totally different answer than your first. And your answer could quite possibly make a difference in Adventurer's life in a major way! You truly are a good man! And not just you but everybody on this site... Kind of makes me proud to say I'm a member here. Tom, don't know where you found this group but keep it up! Now back to our previously scheduled program, ah, I mean post...Is there an smiley for suck-up on here? Edited by i am bob
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
I just saw the part where you are going to be seeing her in a month. OK, that changes my opinion. Go for it. Its groundwork on building a relationship. It shows you are willing to commit something, (money), and you are asking her to commit something, (time). Sending a little bit of money in exchange for her waiting for one month to see you is a fair deal, to me at least.
Dave - you just did what I know a lot of people wouldn't do. When you realized you missed a piece of information, you changed your answer quickly to a totally different answer than your first. And your answer could quite possibly make a difference in Adventurer's life in a major way! You truly are a good man! And not just you but everybody on this site... Kind of makes me proud to say I'm a member here. Tom, don't know where you found this group but keep it up! Now back to our previously scheduled program, ah, I mean post...Is there an smiley for suck-up on here?
Warning -- off topic and off the wall remarks (again):Tom, our Boss Man found me doing the "Joe squat", waiting all day for him to come out from his hotel in Cebuso that I could shine his shoes and feed him baluts whenever he's hungover. And yes, he's hung....he, he.And now Bob, once again you're teasing me with another sexual innuendos regarding "sucking up". As one ofthe moderators, I really don't have a smiley but you can use your wildest imagination and I will find someone tosatisfy your every needs. Now, where was I? Oh yes, our anxious man called Adventurer. 30 more days before the start of another tripback to PI. Sounds like you may have found a relationship that could be serious. You have channel fever yet? Can't eat, can't sleep, can't think? We're all rootin' for ya (not Australian way) and wish you the best of luck.You're an experience traveler and we would appreciate if you come back to us from time to time and teach us.We would love to learn from you.Respectfully -- Jake
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Your going to send her about P4529,its a lot for a poor girl but I don't know her situation. I always wonder where they get the money to be online though if they are doing it tough?If it was me I would send her $50 since you will be there soon anyway. Always start small so that it does not become expected.That's just my opinion but not necessarily the correct one.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
You truly are a good man! And not just you but everybody on this site... Kind of makes me proud to say I'm a member here. Tom, don't know where you found this group but keep it up!
We only accept the best and send the rest elsewhere. :th_exactly:
  • Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I agree 4500p is way to much for a poor girl she prob never had that kind of cash start slow maybe 1500p see how she reacts to this token gift before sending to much ..

• Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

I already offered to send her $100 anyway so it's too late now but maybe you are right and I should have sent $50 but I will ask that she keeps some for a taxi to meet me at airport. Then again maybe it's better to meet later and not at airport in case we can't find each other as it can be hard to find people at Cebu airport.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I already offered to send her $100 anyway so it's too late now but maybe you are right and I should have sent $50 but I will ask that she keeps some for a taxi to meet me at airport. Then again maybe it's better to meet later and not at airport in case we can't find each other as it can be hard to find people at Cebu airport.
It's never too late until you send it and even then I think WU allows you to cancel if it hasn't been picked up. You can always say you reconsidered the amount, etc. One thing I don't think was mentioned is that you are setting up a precedent for further support before even meeting her in person. I hope it works out for you but I stand by what I said (implied) earlier about never sending money to someone you haven't met.

Adventurer
Posted
Posted
It's never too late until you send it and even then I think WU allows you to cancel if it hasn't been picked up. You can always say you reconsidered the amount, etc. One thing I don't think was mentioned is that you are setting up a precedent for further support before even meeting her in person. I hope it works out for you but I stand by what I said (implied) earlier about never sending money to someone you haven't met.
Well as i wrote earlier normally I would never send any money either or recommend others do but her situation is a bit different with her parent passing away and that is the main reason I would help her. I won't change the amount now even though I could as I have not sent it yet but I don't want to promise one thing and then change it. I also have to pay a fee so it's better to send it in one go rather than send her some now and maybe send more later so she can meet me at airport etc.Anyway she was thankful and probably a little surprised when i told her. I'm not that old, still in 40's so the couple of girls I have dated there have been happy to just have a boyfriend and not just someone providing for them. The only thing i was worried about doing this is that it can get our relationship off on the wrong foot but I have explained that to her that I would not normally send money but explained why I did for her with her parent passing away and her not having much family to support her at this time.I'm very against sending money believe me so it was a difficult decision to make and I'm thankful for the members here for the feedback. If it works out then it was a small price to pay to help someone that could become a big part of my life one day. Sometimes it's worth taking a little risk.
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I wonder how many others have an "Internal Judge". A voice in my head that decides trivial things for me. I mean, suppose I was going to send some money to someone I knew on line only. Suppose I knew it was a gift that I could afford to lose and the reason for sending it was to make me feel good.Now how much to send. I know that $100 is affordable to me. I know that 'she' will be thrilled with 1000 pesos ($25). I know that Western Union is going to charge me $15 for the transaction. That's when the "Internal Judge" kicks in and tells me, don't be stupid. It costs me the same $15 to send her $25 and it does to send $100. May as well send the $100 and get the extra brownie points.What I need is to have an opposing judge in my head to remind me that sending $25 is a savings of $75 no matter what WU charges.Now come on guys, tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that way sometimes.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
I wonder how many others have an "Internal Judge". A voice in my head that decides trivial things for me. I mean, suppose I was going to send some money to someone I knew on line only. Suppose I knew it was a gift that I could afford to lose and the reason for sending it was to make me feel good.Now how much to send. I know that $100 is affordable to me. I know that 'she' will be thrilled with 1000 pesos ($25). I know that Western Union is going to charge me $15 for the transaction. That's when the "Internal Judge" kicks in and tells me, don't be stupid. It costs me the same $15 to send her $25 and it does to send $100. May as well send the $100 and get the extra brownie points.What I need is to have an opposing judge in my head to remind me that sending $25 is a savings of $75 no matter what WU charges.Now come on guys, tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that way sometimes.
Guilty Edited by i am bob