One In Five Cebu City Pud Drivers Drug Users

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Over the years we have had cab drivers who were clearly not in their right mind now I know why.CEBU, Philippines - Seven more public utility drivers were tested positive of using illegal drugs during a random roadside drug test conducted yesterday by the Land Transportation Office-7 personnel.There were 33 taxi and PUJ drivers that were subjected to the drug test. Four taxi drivers and three PUJ drivers tested positive.http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=773303&publicationSubCategoryId=107

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

While that sounds bad, remember that eating poppy seeds, such as on a roll or bagel, can easily cause someone to test positive as well. Poppy seeds are used by a number of bakeries here in Baguio City, so I would not be surprised to see them on some variation of pan de sal. Now that said, my guess is that poppy seed rolls are not the primary cause of the drivers testing positive.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
my guess is that poppy seed rolls are not the primary cause of the drivers testing positive
Some of those drugs stay in your system so long that they could have been doing some recreational use the day before, or even a week before, and still show it in their system.

Bundy
Posted
Posted

"After rehabilitation, the drivers will have to pay P10,000 fine before they will be issued a new license"Crikey!, if they set up on the south road say around Naga and pulled up every Ceres liner bus that came along they'd have quite a nice little money earner! :23_11_60[2]: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
While that sounds bad, remember that eating poppy seeds, such as on a roll or bagel, can easily cause someone to test positive as well. Poppy seeds are used by a number of bakeries here in Baguio City, so I would not be surprised to see them on some variation of pan de sal.Now that said, my guess is that poppy seed rolls are not the primary cause of the drivers testing positive.
I really know nothing about this but since the seeds are cooked and in such small quantity's,would they have any affect at all? What type of poppy do they come from?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
While that sounds bad, remember that eating poppy seeds, such as on a roll or bagel, can easily cause someone to test positive as well. Poppy seeds are used by a number of bakeries here in Baguio City, so I would not be surprised to see them on some variation of pan de sal.Now that said, my guess is that poppy seed rolls are not the primary cause of the drivers testing positive.
I really know nothing about this but since the seeds are cooked and in such small quantity's,would they have any affect at all? What type of poppy do they come from?
The fact is many drug tests will test false positive for poppy seeds cooked in muffins. Here in the States there are tests that take that into account (see link). Having said that how many PUD eat poppy seed muffins?http://www.snopes.co...s/poppyseed.asp Edited by Old55

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jolly, yep, even though cooked and in relatively small quantities, they sure can trip some drug screening tests, which are designed to be pretty sensitive. Poppy seed cake, etc etc can definitely trip the trigger depending on where they set the "alarm" level. Some convicts getting parole HAVE to agree not to eat any thing with poppy seeds as an ingredients as part of their parole. If they test positive (at the lower level most tests are traditionally run at), back to the slammer even if it was just bagel for breakfast.Snopes and Ask Cecil (aka The Straight Dope) can verify this. OOPS! I see old55 got here first. SNOPES article

Edited by Tatoosh
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I have noticed a different type of legal high being used by cabbies here ....... using Vick's inhalers ...... people using this method will constantly to stick'um up their nose to get a high ..... had one cabbie that was just holding it in his hand he was using it so much ...... I just hope it wasn't something stronger in the applicator ....... you never know

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Update Feb 10th, another Cebu City LTO roadside drug check yields 10% of PUV drivers tested positive.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
Update Feb 10th, another Cebu City LTO roadside drug check yields 10% of PUV drivers tested positive.
Unbelievable. You don't realize how much we risk our lives when riding in the jeepneys if not from being OUI then just outright comakaze driving like he owns the road.