Necklace Stolen

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well my asawa just got back from buying me some grapes at the local market and told me that a woman on the jeepney she was riding on had her necklace snatched ...... some guy wearing a hooded sweatshirt was walking along looking in the jeepney's (like some of the water boys do) and stopped beside the one the woman was riding in .... as soon as the jeepney started to drive away he snatched the necklace from her neck and ran ...... another passenger said the guy was a well known snatcher in that area ......For heaven sakes don't sit with your back to the sidewalk if you are wearing necklaces ...... it is a damn good way to get relieved of your property ....... my asawa will never let me sit with my back to the sidewalk and she won't ride that way either ..... if there is no room on the other side we wait till another jeepney comes along ...... I also won't sit anywhere else but beside the rear door so that means only one seat available for me to ride in a jeepney ..... so needless to say I use taxi's much more than jeepney's ....... :thumbsup: :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
another passenger said the guy was a well known snatcher in that area ......
Rats, too bad that passenger said it in hindsight rather than saying it when he first saw the snatcher, as in before the deed was done.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yea I found that kinda funny myself as she told me that guy stood there for a minute or two until the jeepney started to drive off ...... and there is actually a traffic light there so the thief has ample time to check things out ...... the woman said the guy had been caught before ..... just to bad he didn't get a dose of Filipino justice ...... you know where the bystanders grab him and beat the living crap out of him ....... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well, sounds like you have a plan to help protect you and yours.....Here is another plan..... True story......I also have been in the refrigeration / AC business since about 1976. I was in Baltimore then. I was called to a row house in South Baltimore to fix an old huge window AC. A older woman and her daughter, maybe 40 lived there. It was a 'changing to changed neighborhood' and these people were living there many years.Seems that some of 'hood rats' (not even a term back then) were snatching all they could. This is an end row house with 2 sides right on the side walk. On the side street, the 40yr old woman used to leave the window open and just the screen in place. AND a nice big pocket book hung over a chair. She used to sit watching TV right next to the window with a butcher knife in her lap. She was always listening for the sound of a knife slicing the screen and for that 'hand' to reach in for the pocket book....... hehehehehe She had cut up a few hands / arms and acted like a deer hunter waiting for the next kill to come along...... Good plan!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I also have been in the refrigeration / AC business since about 1976.
Well that makes sense, in a way. Obstetrics and refrigeration go together like cold forceps on a cervix. Do doctors really keep their tools in the ref? Or does it just feel that way?

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I also have been in the refrigeration / AC business since about 1976.
Well that makes sense, in a way. Obstetrics and refrigeration go together like cold forceps on a cervix. Do doctors really keep their tools in the ref? Or does it just feel that way?
Actually I have been telling people that OB/GYN and AC work are BOTH forms of plumbing!Stainless steel does not hold heat and whatever the ambient temp is... that is the temp of the instrument. You can aleasy DEMAND that the instrument (whatever it may be) is to be warmed under warm water if it will not effect the procedure. Can also be put into a sterile glove and then warmed which keeps it dry and sterile if needed.

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

My wife refuses to wear much jewelry when she is in a public area like the market or riding a jeepney. She's seen robberies and snatches quite a few times in Cebu. She was terrified of Manila when we first started visiting there. Even in Baguio City, she is very careful. Not so many snatchers, but there are robbers and pick pockets if you wander into the wrong area unprepared. Some places that are okay in the daytime are very off limits at night here. Not that I find it scary, but you have to keep your wits about you any where you are in the world.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
My wife refuses to wear much jewelry when she is in a public area like the market or riding a jeepney. She's seen robberies and snatches quite a few times in Cebu. She was terrified of Manila when we first started visiting there. Even in Baguio City, she is very careful. Not so many snatchers, but there are robbers and pick pockets if you wander into the wrong area unprepared. Some places that are okay in the daytime are very off limits at night here. Not that I find it scary, but you have to keep your wits about you any where you are in the world.
Wearing jewelry or using a cell phone while on the street in Philippines is high risk.

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
Exactly my experience with my wife... in and around Cebu city, and even Carcar for that matter....in fact, she cringed at first when I would purchase something special for a birthday or anniversary, stating, she could "never wear it in the Philippines, except in the house". She loves jewelery, but asks me to not buy anymore for this reason...we are celebrating our wedding anniversary this weekend and I got the pre-emptive notice a couple weeks back to NOT buy any jewelry... damn, that was for me the easiest gift shopping to be had.... we look to the more utilitarian giftage nowadays... she is getting a new table saw.. .Shhhh... secret..... :thumbsup:
  • Like 3

softail
Posted
Posted
I also won't sit anywhere else but beside the rear door so that means only one seat available for me to ride in a jeepney ..... so needless to say I use taxi's much more than jeepney's .......
I couldn't agree with you more, it's the rear spot next to the door or we are waiting for the next jeepney with that spot open. The wife sits next to me with her purse in between us. Also if a group of guys get on at one spot and I get the feeling we are being set up to be robbed or set up for a pickpocket scam we simply get off and get another jeepney , one thing about the RP, there is always another jeepney.Doug and Sally
  • Like 1