Necklace Stolen

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There was an incident in Rome, Italy where my wife was surrounded by gypsy children who were trying to rob her. I showed no mercy in protecting her. My wife and I now maintain a very low profile when traveling. No watches, rings, necklaces and other jewelry. The clothes are old and well worn to give the appearance of being someone with limited income. My wife carries a high security handbag that appears very ordinary to a casual observer. You can't cut it with a knife. You can't open the flap unless you are familiar with the procedure. My money is kept in a wallet and two pants pockets. Additional emergency money is kept in a leather belt with an inner zippered compartment. We then have sufficient funds to get back to the hotel if robbed.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
There was an incident in Rome, Italy where my wife was surrounded by gypsy children who were trying to rob her. I showed no mercy in protecting her.My wife and I now maintain a very low profile when traveling. No watches, rings, necklaces and other jewelry. The clothes are old and well worn to give the appearance of being someone with limited income. My wife carries a high security handbag that appears very ordinary to a casual observer. You can't cut it with a knife. You can't open the flap unless you are familiar with the procedure. My money is kept in a wallet and two pants pockets. Additional emergency money is kept in a leather belt with an inner zippered compartment. We then have sufficient funds to get back to the hotel if robbed.
By the way... what is your address and the combo to the floor safe.....I think you WON a free dinner to Don Ho's place for the entire family!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

No floor safe. We live in a condo. Don Ho's Island Grill is kaput. The free dinner coupon is no good.The Italian police informed me that gypsy kids are used because under Italian law all children are considered "innocents" and therefore cannot be incarcerated. They are Romani, an ethnic group with origins in northern India who travel around Europe in motorhomes. The largest population lives in Romania. They have their own language, customs and traditions. Some Romani in the United States make a living as fortune tellers reading tarot cards for the gullible.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
No floor safe. We live in a condo.Don Ho's Island Grill is kaput. The free dinner coupon is no good.The Italian police informed me that gypsy kids are used because under Italian law all children are considered "innocents" and therefore cannot be incarcerated. They are Romani, an ethnic group with origins in northern India who travel around Europe in motorhomes. The largest population lives in Romania. They have their own language, customs and traditions. Some Romani in the United States make a living as fortune tellers reading tarot cards for the gullible.
Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes did 2 shows on the kids in Rome. Mobbed people, stole and then passed on to people behind them and were quite willing to be searched to 'prove' they were innocent. Back in the 1970s. If you read www.dailymail.co.uk frequently you will see how these gypsies have overwhelmed the social services in Brition and multiple cases of people going on vacation and coming home with gypsies in the house and fake leases all filled out. It is interesting to me that in pre WWII, the neighbors and police would get together and beat the crap out of these types. But post Vietnam, they are to be coddled and protects and 'helped' at our expense. They know this and have taken advantage for years. Stupid us......

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Instead of a tripod, I use a monopad when traveling to steady the telephoto lens. I used it to whack two gypsy kids hard on their behinds. One tried to spit at me, but it landed short. They were afraid to get close because of the monopad. The Italian police thanked me later because the police are not allowed to touch them. The stealing strategy includes draping a newspaper over their hand to pick your pockets, while several others tried to distract you. I spotted their handler about 100 feet away. The minute we made eye contact, he slowly walked away. None of the Italians came to our aid. Having a weapon, which I could extend to five feet helped. I recall a documentary by Diane Sawyer on 20/20. The Italian authorities would X-ray the children's hands to determine age. If they were above a certain age, they could be held in a juvenile facility. Otherwise, they were released as soon as an adult showed up to claim them.I can't recall seeing the Mike Wallace documentary on 60 Minutes.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
It is interesting to me that in pre WWII, the neighbors and police would get together and beat the crap out of these types. But post Vietnam, they are to be coddled and protects and 'helped' at our expense. They know this and have taken advantage for years. Stupid us.....
prior to 1945 there was a solution for this. perhaps that was the "good ole days" before political correctness,when i lived in spain, people just avoided them,not selling them the goods or services or when they did sell at FULL Retail price, the guardian civil didnt "hassle" them,just enforced the "letter of the law" Edited by ed villas

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

I have heard of numerous cases of Filipino's losing their jewelry to snatchers and I have always made sure my girlfriend would not wear any except for in a mall, hotel or somewhere secure. While I feel safe there generally I'm constantly scanning everything around me. I have got plenty of jeeps and never had any issues but I'm also careful, if anything gives me a bad feeling I'm moving to other options. You have to have some street smartness there on jeeps. markets etc or you could get in trouble.

• Like 1