Regional Variations In Crime?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
So which rural areas are considered "safe" ?
Oh, and its never ever "safe" to live near to the family of your girlfriend or wife, getting the hell away from them was one of the "safest" things i ever did...
It depends. In some cases having family members who live with or nearby is the safest thing a Rich Kano has going for them. If you have a Filipina wife or GF she would have a good idea if an area is reasonably safe. Edited by Old55

Mr Jet Lag
Posted
Posted

In Chile, I lived in a semi-dodgy neighborhood, where very few foreigners livedI also used the public transportation system after midnight, all over the city without a problem, although I knew of many people who advised me against thatBut what I am not comfortable is a high likelihood of muggings, especially at gunpoint. And to be constantly on the alert.So, what you´re saying is that crime is not so much a case of island to island as neighborhood to neighborhood?But there must be some areas of the country that at least have a reputation of lower crime rates (Samar, Thx Bruce), are there others?Romblon? Bohol?Ideally I would be looking to rent/buy a local house in a small beach side town (pop 2000 -30000) and live there alone several (3-9) months a year, without fortifying myself (no guns) nor the house (no dogs), and keeping a low profile.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Large citys have more crime on average just like most places around the world. In some places methamphetamine (called shabu) has become a problem. Ask around locals will tell you.Life out in da providences is simpler and safer from major crimes but petty crime is endemic over there. Some rural areas in Mindanao features outlaw groups or Muslim kidnap gangs. Overall Philippines is safe if you use some common sense and treat locals with respect and kindness. If you stay out of business, never loan money or are known as having little or no cash on hand and avoid drunk Filipinos you will avoid problems. Many killings of Foreigners are by the wife or the family of the wife or girlfriend $$$$$. Sadly some guys make bad choices in that regard. There is no reason to be paranoid. We feel safer visiting Philippines than in the large city I live near here in the States. If you find a nice Filipina from a good family (easy to do!) she will be able to steer you right.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Ideally I would be looking to rent/buy a local house in a small beach side town (pop 2000 -30000) and live there alone several (3-9) months a year, without fortifying myself (no guns) nor the house (no dogs), and keeping a low profile.
This reminds me of a fellow I know who calls himself Israel, from Israel. He is a bit reclusive and stays at the Agta Beach resort in Biliran for 3 to 9 months of the year. He eats local food, stays in a local kind of room, and has a local girlfriend once in a while. His passion is swimming. Because he lives such a very simple life and is such a long term customer, the 'resort' (not a resort that most Americans would relate to but a local favorite) charges him a mere pittance (150 pesos a night if memory serves) to stay there. Low budget, on the beach, no fortification, no dogs, low profile, just having a good time.Now, can you and I stay there for that money? No, its a special that has evolved over time for this one guy. Is there crime there? He has never had a problem with crime BUT, just a kilometer away, just one year ago, a gang of terrorists? blew up a couple of inter city busses parked less than a kilometer from where he stays. I had a thread on that last year if you are curious. Now that could scare you from staying in the area, or you could understand that it is an isolated incident.I mentioned before that this place is as safe as rural Canada. In rural Canada we have crazies running around blowing up gas wells in the name of environmentalism.

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Life out in da providences is simpler and safer from major crimes but petty crime is endemic over there
Yea what he said ..... my mother-in law was furious the other day when someone stole her fat hen which had just started laying eggs ..... stole it right out of the yard surrounded by a bamboo fence ..... they know everyone in the area for miles around but she said right outside the tiny town a bunch of new people have drifted down from other parts and small items have been reported missing .... cloths .... shoes and other such stuff ...... so everyone is on alert now ..... but that is about the extent of it ..... maybe 300-500 people live there ..... but there like anywhere here in da Phils still the same ol' problem of loaning money ....... DON'T ......
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
someone stole her fat hen which had just started laying eggs ..... stole it right out of the yard surrounded by a bamboo fence
Hope that was not my dog who did that. The bugger is so good at getting through holes in the fence and stealing chickens. We feed him good but he seems to do it for sport. :lol:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Not to worry Dave ............ just not sure they can teach your dog to lay eggs ...... but on the bright side ...... nothing tastes better than roasted dog with chicken stuffing (just encase he can't lay those eggs ...... :lol: :hystery: )

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I mentioned before that this place is as safe as rural Canada. In rural Canada we have crazies running around blowing up gas wells in the name of environmentalism.
Now Dave, I don't blow up gas wells cause I don't live in the far nort anymore... Though I will agree to the "crazies" part fitting... :thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Now Dave, I don't blow up gas wells cause I don't live in the far nort
If you are the guy I am thinking of, then you have done wonders to change your appearance (if the avatar is really you I mean). Google Wiebo Ludwig if you have not heard of him.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I mentioned before that this place is as safe as rural Canada. In rural Canada we have crazies running around blowing up gas wells in the name of environmentalism.
Now Dave, I don't blow up gas wells cause I don't live in the far nort anymore... Though I will agree to the "crazies" part fitting... :thumbsup:
Does this mean that IF you lived in the far north.... you would blow up gas lines??? hehehehehe