Queensland Floods Again

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Here in my home state things are shaping up to like last years disaster of flooding,many are nervous as they lost everything only a year ago. All this water will head for Brisbane. :lol: DISASTER DECLARED AS WATERS RISE IN SW QLDRecord-breaking floods have sparked a disaster declaration in Queensland's southwest, with the premier warning the region has entered dangerous new territory.The flood threat in the inland town of Roma is worsening rapidly, with waters rising a metre in an hour, Maranoa mayor Robert Loughnan told the ABC.He said he had called in helicopters to winch some residents to safety and people should immediately abandon low-lying areas."The time for sandbagging has gone," he said. "We need to get people out of those low-lying areas right now."Swift-water rescuers are searching for an adult and a child believed to have been swept away in a car on Northern Road at Roma.The town is facing its worst flood since March 2010, when water entered about 200 homes, and the Bungil Creek is expected to peak on Friday night above the 2010 level of 8.1 metres.Premier Anna Bligh has declared a state of disaster.The State Disaster Co-ordination Centre is managing the response, and Queensland Police Service Deputy Commissioner Ian Stewart has been appointed state disaster co-ordinator."Ian Stewart was at my side during last year's natural disasters, and as the emergency unfolds in the southwest it is heartening to have him in the position again," she said.Meanwhile, the Maranoa River at Mitchell is expected to peak at 10 metres on Friday night, a new record.St George and other towns are facing damaging flood peaks on Saturday and Sunday."We are in new territory here, the water coming through is breaking records for this region," Ms Bligh said."I have been in direct contact with mayors and the situation is unfolding. I will visit these regions as soon as it is safe and practicable to do so."Judy Barclay, a long-time resident of Roma, said she was watching the flood waters rise, but refused to leave her home."The water has broken the banks of the creek but it hasn't spread up as far as me yet," she told AAP."I'm too old to evacuate. I'm going to stay put with my dog - he can't be evacuated because they can't take dogs."We've all been through this before and I think that probably helps, knowing that you do get over it, you do get through it."The president of the Roma Chamber of Commerce, Cameron O'Neil, says residents are banding together and the mood is positive, despite three floods in as many years."The community spirit's high," Mr O'Neil told AAP."People are getting in behind their friends and neighbours and helping."Jacqui Burns, who has lived in Roma for only six months, says her home should be OK but many people are nervous."There's a lot of sandbagging going on."We've just put the word out to people that if anybody needs anywhere to go they can come and lob on our doorstep."Anne Hatcher said her husband's medical practice has had a steady stream of patients all day and the spirit of the town is unbroken."People are fantastic - they're bushies," she said.The entire town of Mitchell has been blacked out.Half the town lost power because of a fault in the system and supply was cut to the rest as a safety precaution.Once the flood drops, homes that have had water through them will have to be inspected before power can be restored.In Roma nearly 360 homes have been disconnected because the expected speed of the rising water could stop crews getting in later on. People in flood boats have been warned to remember they will be closer to power lines as they move around.Two remote communities that have been cut off in the Gulf of Carpentaria are being resupplied by Emergency Management Queensland (EMQ), which is flying in essential food and medicine.More than two tonnes of fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, medical supplies and other essentials will be airlifted into Doomadgee and almost as much will go to Burketown.Two commercial aircraft have been chartered and will make up to nine flights from an airstrip at Gregory, about 60km south of Burketown.http://au.news.yahoo...rise-in-sw-qld/

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Damn Tom .... is there no end to it ..... I'm sure hundreds of people haven't even begun to recover and now it comes again .... except this time it looks worst ..... if that is possible ....... are you gonna be safe again this time ...... god I hope so ....... take care and I won't make no jokes about this cause there is nothing funny about people loosing everything they have as well as the loss of life

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Damn Tom .... is there no end to it ..... I'm sure hundreds of people haven't even begun to recover and now it comes again .... except this time it looks worst ..... if that is possible ....... are you gonna be safe again this time ...... god I hope so ....... take care and I won't make no jokes about this cause there is nothing funny about people loosing everything they have as well as the loss of life
In my case, so high nothing but the end of the world will affect me but there are financial problems to go with it as in no work. I think here in Brisbane if there is no rain things will be fine, its been raining for almost 2 weeks but looks OK now but if more rain in the areas already flooded will possibly cause us major problems here in Brisbane. The major dam that's mean to protect us has been releasing water for over a week to make way for this but it did not save us last time.
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)
post-1362-0-59447300-1328330305_thumb.jpOh sh&t, i really don't need this again Edited by Bundy