Ph Faces Breakdown Of Law, Order – Expert

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

MANILA, Philippines – There is a breakdown of law and order in the country amid the spate of heinous crimes in recent weeks, according to a social scientist.UP Professor Clarita Carlos said criminality is on the rise amid the inability of the Philippine National Police to enforce the rule of law.“Kasawsaw sila sa tiwali so ang dami talagang dapat linisin,” said Carlos.Carlos said there are five reasons for the upsurge in criminal incidents: widespread poverty, lack of respect for the rule of law, the proliferation of illegal drugs, the lack of discipline and the lack of hope in the future for many.“When you have widespread poverty like that, then you also have concomitant widespread alienation. When you’re alienated, ‘yung sense of powerlessness mo, madaling pag-laruan ng ibang tao,” she said.Carlos also said restoring law and order depends on reforming government agencies, ensuring equality in the administration of justice, providing adequate education to the youth and reviving the virtues of hard work, discipline, and respect for the truth. -- ANCLink

• Like 4

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
MANILA, Philippines – There is a breakdown of law and order in the country amid the spate of heinous crimes in recent weeks, according to a social scientist.UP Professor Clarita Carlos said criminality is on the rise amid the inability of the Philippine National Police to enforce the rule of law.“Kasawsaw sila sa tiwali so ang dami talagang dapat linisin,” said Carlos.Carlos said there are five reasons for the upsurge in criminal incidents: widespread poverty, lack of respect for the rule of law, the proliferation of illegal drugs, the lack of discipline and the lack of hope in the future for many.“When you have widespread poverty like that, then you also have concomitant widespread alienation. When you’re alienated, ‘yung sense of powerlessness mo, madaling pag-laruan ng ibang tao,” she said.Carlos also said restoring law and order depends on reforming government agencies, ensuring equality in the administration of justice, providing adequate education to the youth and reviving the virtues of hard work, discipline, and respect for the truth. -- ANCLink
Good to see you back my friend!

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

It was stated in another topic/post that the philippines is a 3rd world country,If you look at the central american countries they too have serious "social"disorders,I not discuss the politics, the political situation/institutions NOR the role or lack of the role the religious institutions play in this post ,,BUT<< If their was improvements in the education system (skills,tools of/for life),Would people have a better outlook towards life ?.,in turn would they become more productive members in society? Educated people ,usually in most circumstances have more respect to others.and themselves , The lack of discipline would be reduced as "educated people "would have more respect for the institutions that govern them.Lack of hope ,lack of respect for the law,wide spread poverty is related again to the education that 1 receives The the education 1 receives is correlated to how 1 behaves or is productive in society,in most not all persons, (family back ground,genetics and other factors come into play too)proliferation of illegal drugs?Doesnt some people use "drugs" or alcohol to get rid of the pain,use it to dull dealing with reality? If 1 had more HOPE, better opportunities to achieve in life would the usage of drugs drop? in the western world most illegal "drug users" are from age 16-28. is this the same here? discipline? humm. again ... No comment on this, except that Education ,Respect of the institutions are part of the way to increase ones discipline towards society , Politics,the political structure,Rule or lack of the rule of law,the religious s institutions and THE Family plays into this,,BUT I will NOT comment as it may offend others & discussions on this topic is limited to the forum rules,i will comment on what i have discussed with older Filipinos,That people had Displayed Discipline from the period 1972-1986much better than they do today.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well all I can say on the matter is that the kids here are far more disciplined than are the kids in the US on a whole ...... the kids in the US as I remember had no respect for anyone regardless of the circumstances ...... I think the people in the US are more afraid of being sued for something they do wrong than actually doing jail time ..... you can be sued for farting out of tune there ....... I hope it never catches on here ......

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well I blame the TV. Yes, the TV. Ever notice that when you take pictures of a group of kids, a few will show gang signs? Where did they learn this??? TV.Also the TV has a growing number of shows based on 'talent', not 'smartness'. The US has hundreds of thousand of (mostly) black kids that have deluded themselves into thinking that THEY will a successful rapper of sports star. That doing good in school is selling out to the white man.... And we are now seeing some of this in the Philippines.And since the Philippines follows the US, what do we see on TV now? And if you have watched Pinoy TV for a few years now, you have seen the 'talent' change from simple / complex dancing and singing to a more sinister gangster style rapping and group dancing. 5 years ago it was copying Michael Jackson!Without the negative TV shows, the Philippines would have been more isolated and therefore more gentle as in past years.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Well I blame the TV. Yes, the TV. Ever notice that when you take pictures of a group of kids, a few will show gang signs? Where did they learn this???
The Internet, music, movies? In the 50s they blamed Elvis for the "degeneration of society", then the Beatles, and so on. If you're going to start blaming where does it end? I would put it on the parent(s).
  • Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some good replies here, education, discipline and media influences but IMO these are just contributing factors.The main problem overiding all these things is CORRUPTION. Why would you want to spend years in education not to mention the cost when the Filipino people can see the corruption all around them, surely that's the easy route.Yes i agree with Mike S, children in the Philippines are more disciplined than kids in Australia too. Kids here have no respect for anyone or anything.But the children in the Philippines don't stay kids for ever and are soon introduced into the corrupt ways of their country which they believe is just normal.Media influences on kids just accelerates the problem.So to quote Art2ro............... it is all a matter of money!Why would the young Filipinos of today want to revive the virtues of hard work,discipline and respect for the truth when they can see the ethics displayed by the families who control the country? It's a viscious circle.

Edited by Bundy
  • Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Well I blame the TV. Yes, the TV. Ever notice that when you take pictures of a group of kids, a few will show gang signs? Where did they learn this???
The Internet, music, movies? In the 50s they blamed Elvis for the "degeneration of society", then the Beatles, and so on. If you're going to start blaming where does it end? I would put it on the parent(s).
Not even close! The Elvis and Beatle complainers and similar 1950's issues LACKED the violent component we have on TV / music / movies today. I do not remember a single Elvis or Beatle song talking about openly doing drugs, shooting the police or the whores you have had sex with.TV, movies and music has changed very much in the past 50+ years and not all for the better.While I will be long dead, in the next couple thousand of years, I hope that society can look back the same way we look back at say Egypt 3000 years agoand can make valid observations without being labeled racist...... But that day is not yet here....... What part of society wants to shoot the police? Labels all women as whores? Glorifies violent behavior? Openly pushes drugs? Dumbs down music to basic grunts and stupid rymes? DON"T ANSWER! Just a retorical question......All of which can be seen on TV today but not the TV of 50 years ago. How many of you are familiar with a modern term 'Jumped the shark'? Well in the future, I suspect that the scholars will be able to form a time line and disect what when wrong and when it started to happen.... And the Philippines is not far behind.......
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
How many of you are familiar with a modern term 'Jumped the shark'?
rron1230l.jpg

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I would just like to add that this is the first time that I know of where as one group of people can use words and language that other groups can't ....... sure back in the 50's and 60's the beatniks had a language all their own but if you could understand it you could use it ...... the hippies of the 60's and 70's the same thing ...... but from the 80's on no more ..... you can actually get jailed for saying what a certain group of people can and do say everyday ........ they sing about killing da pigs ....... and all women are now called bitches ...... remember what would have happened years ago if you dared to call a woman or girl a bitch ........ and don't forget the "my hump my hump ..... my lovely ladies lump" and that stuff is excepted everywhere even in the schools ........ and what about the "F" word ....... common everday expression ....... which sadly I have heard teenagers using it now in the malls here ....... hang out sometime near the arcades here ...... you will hear stuff like "what's your f*#king problem .........Blame the parents ...... why ... they have no control over their kids thanks to our modern society (and I use the term modern loosely) who has said you are responsible for your child's behavior but you may not discipline them in any way that might inflict some kind of mental or physical abuse latter on in life ....... horse poo ...... mental abuse ...... physical abuse ..... sense when did spanking ones fat little butt cause all these poor little Johnny's and Mary's to become dysfunctional adults later on in life ....... just the opposite ....... it will teach them to be good citizens and parents ....... instead of jailbirds .........Oh well all my blubbering will not change the out of control downward spiral I'm afraid our society is headed for ....... thank god I won't be alive to see the total collapse of our way of life as we know it ....... :boohoo:

• Like 2