Earthquake In Cebu/negros , As Most Probably Already Know

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hmmm.... They did say the world was going to end in 2012... Earthquakes in the Philippines... Heard Vancouver Canada had one around the same time... Seriously, I kind of wish I was in the Philippines to experience the earthquake BECAUSE THAT WOULD MEAN I'M NOT STUCK HERE IN THE COLD!!! :23_11_62[1]:
Well last count 13 dead and others still buried in landslides so in that case I guess its not such a good idea for a way to keep warm.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I better revise that figure, not knowing how accurate this story is. MANILA - The death toll from a powerful quake that struck the central Philippines on Monday rose to 43 as landslides struck a mountainous area, a regional military official said.http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1181289/1/.html

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Still getting after shocks ..... last one was around 7:30 pm and was a 5.2 ...... there have been 6 recorded .... 3 ..... 2 at 6.0 and 1 at 6.8 ........ it can quite at anytime as far as I'm concerned ...... getting kinda tired of it ....... :23_11_62[1]: :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I better revise that figure, not knowing how accurate this story is.MANILA - The death toll from a powerful quake that struck the central Philippines on Monday rose to 43 as landslides struck a mountainous area, a regional military official said.http://www.channelne...1181289/1/.html
The news reports I heard here stated only minor injuries... My condolences to those not so fortunate!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Texts are coming in from friends and family and thankfully everyone is OK. Angelo sent a text early this morning to tell us that our building was OK but that he and a lot of other people ran out when the first jolt hit. I am now seeing the news and more are said to be dead than first reported, so I think the death toll will possibly continue to rise. I hope all of you are OK and that your families are OK as well.

Edited by Mr. Lee
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Wow! The news reports are ridiculous!!! This morning's reports told of minimal damage and only a few people lost in the earthquake... And now that I am back from work, I see that half are still reporting the same? And one report was only online for less than 10 minutes? Thankfully the other half are reporting the true story of the extent of damage and the unfortunate loss of life! Not that I would wish this on anyone but now I know properly how bad it was! There is a very wonderful woman who means very much to me and who lives in Cebu I was worried about. I spent the day being thankful that she had gone to Toledo City just before the earthquake... This morning the news said that the epicentre was off the coast of Cebu City. I came home to find out it was on the other coast and not that far from Toledo! Thank the lord that, after scouring over 600 news reports out of approximately 1400 in total, I received an email from her that she was scared but not hurt. She spent a very sleepless night and isn't feeling well from being so scared but otherwise is ok. And the Tsunami alerts didn't help her any...So I guess I'm upset right now over 3 things... 1) the absolutely terrible news reporting, 2) not being there with the woman who means so much to me when she needs me, and 3) the stupid post I made this morning as you can see above! Though I will admit that I would rather be there during the earthquake but only so I could help a certain young lady who was so scared...

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Bob, I believe all the fatalities are on Negros, none anywhere on Cebu from what I have read. A number of the news agencies are saying 52 dead at this point. .

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Bob, I believe all the fatalities are on Negros, none anywhere on Cebu from what I have read. A number of the news agencies are saying 52 dead at this point. .
Thanks for the info! I'm still a little upset (trying to be nice) over the poor and inadequate news reports... The better reports were saying that the fatalities were in Negros but none said anything about Cebu province other than the big city. I think I was probably 30 minutes or probably less from looking for an airline ticket if I hadn't gotten her email...

Jake
Posted
Posted
......There is a very wonderful woman who means very much to me and who lives in Cebu I was worried about. I spent the day being thankful that she had gone to Toledo City just before the earthquake... This morning the news said that the epicentre was off the coast of Cebu City. I came home to find out it was on the other coast and not that far from Toledo! Thank the lord that, after scouring over 600 news reports out of approximately 1400 in total, I received an email from her that she was scared but not hurt. She spent a very sleepless night and isn't feeling well from being so scared but otherwise is ok......So I guess I'm upset right now over 3 things... 1) the absolutely terrible news reporting, 2) not being there with the woman who means so much to me when she needs me, and 3) the stupid post I made this morning as you can see above! Though I will admit that I would rather be there during the earthquake but only so I could help a certain young lady who was so scared...
Hello shipmate,As with many members of this forum, I really empathize your position of hopelessness. Unable to do anythingto comfort your love one who might as well be on another planet. But you should be grateful that she has thepresence of mind to contact you as soon as possible because she was worried about you also.I think now is the time to think ahead and start sending a BB box full of emergency items. I sure many memberscan itemize a list to send or take it with you. I usually have a grab and go backpack(s) just in case I only haveseconds to spare before the roof caves in. My sincere condolences goes out for the people that perish during this latest calamity. Unfortunately, many moreto come. After all, the Philippines is part of the Ring of Fire, typhoon alley and other man made disasters.Keep the faith my friend -- Jake
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
......There is a very wonderful woman who means very much to me and who lives in Cebu I was worried about. I spent the day being thankful that she had gone to Toledo City just before the earthquake... This morning the news said that the epicentre was off the coast of Cebu City. I came home to find out it was on the other coast and not that far from Toledo! Thank the lord that, after scouring over 600 news reports out of approximately 1400 in total, I received an email from her that she was scared but not hurt. She spent a very sleepless night and isn't feeling well from being so scared but otherwise is ok......So I guess I'm upset right now over 3 things... 1) the absolutely terrible news reporting, 2) not being there with the woman who means so much to me when she needs me, and 3) the stupid post I made this morning as you can see above! Though I will admit that I would rather be there during the earthquake but only so I could help a certain young lady who was so scared...
Hello shipmate,As with many members of this forum, I really empathize your position of hopelessness. Unable to do anythingto comfort your love one who might as well be on another planet. But you should be grateful that she has thepresence of mind to contact you as soon as possible because she was worried about you also.I think now is the time to think ahead and start sending a BB box full of emergency items. I sure many memberscan itemize a list to send or take it with you. I usually have a grab and go backpack(s) just in case I only haveseconds to spare before the roof caves in. My sincere condolences goes out for the people that perish during this latest calamity. Unfortunately, many moreto come. After all, the Philippines is part of the Ring of Fire, typhoon alley and other man made disasters.Keep the faith my friend -- Jake
Thanks Jake! I felt so relieved when I got her email! I'm used to laughing at danger (I'm sure you know what I mean by that) and heading full on into natural and man-made disasters... Climbing into crevices where buildings used to be to search for survivors... Being up on top part ship with a rope tied around me while searching for a lost yacht or sinking ship while experiencing Cat 5 storms... Putting out fires on a tanker after their crew abandoned ship... Trying to talk a kid out of trying to blow himself and a dozen other people up because of who knows what... These used to be my facts of life and I did them because that was the job... And it didn't bother me because that was what I did. And now I can't do what I need to for the only one who counts... This is what really makes me feel inadequate!!!